Author Topic: Auger lifespan  (Read 4041 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Auger lifespan
« Reply #30 on: Sep 01, 2020, 11:02 AM »
I was just reading that!  I managed to track down my order confirmation and it was from 2016, so I guess I'm good to go.  Would still like to find another battery though...

I would Email ..Call ...FB message them ASAP ..Rapala/Strikemaster may  be able to help you out with  a option(s) ..also note SM is coming out with a new Electric auger option this season that is suppose to be very competitive  with the cordless drill market ..I believe the $300-$400 range . I have had better success via FB msg then calls and Email in general with all my inquiries to the various retailers . ;)2 ;)2 ;)2
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Sep 01, 2020, 11:18 AM »
Just looking at some FaceBook posts it seems Rapala/Strikemaster were very helpful to anglers with some batter/charger issues on the 50 volt ..these posts were made about 1-2 years ago . so I would suspect Rapala has some solutions at hand .

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Sep 01, 2020, 11:36 AM »
This may also be a needed option ..supposedly you can rebuild them..if your handy or just this

https://www.batteriesplus.com/t/services/tech-center

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Sep 01, 2020, 12:47 PM »
Found this ouch

https://www.glensoutdoors.com/strikemaster-lithium-lazer-50v-replacement-battery.html

Ouch is right!  Might be better off spending that on a drill kit.  My current battery is fine, but sooner or later...  The nice thing about these 50 volt augers is I can go a whole day on just one battery.  But if I go a few more years then finding replacements might be tough!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
« Reply #36 on: Sep 01, 2020, 03:53 PM »
Its a 120 volt

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #37 on: Sep 01, 2020, 04:00 PM »
Its a 120 volt

Yep. Thread kinda took a left turn around reply #23. And I didn't help any...  ::) My apologies for the hijack.

We now return you to our original programming starring the Clam 120v auger.  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Sep 01, 2020, 04:02 PM »
Just curious how long it would last and what ti do about the warranty after clam and frictionless cut ties

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Sep 01, 2020, 04:38 PM »
Just curious how long it would last and what ti do about the warranty after clam and frictionless cut ties

jimhaney08 has had his lithium auger for a bit based on his post ...2016 I believe ..You may want to draft an Email to Clam with your concerns though as I stated previously

Yep. Thread kinda took a left turn around reply #23. And I didn't help any...  ::) My apologies for the hijack.

We now return you to our original programming starring the Clam 120v auger.  ;)2

Same church different pew...if I owned either of these augers my concern would be batty life and parts/service.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Sep 01, 2020, 06:46 PM »
Oops, I usually pay close attention than that.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Sep 02, 2020, 08:36 AM »

Yes, I've had my auger since 2016.  I will say that it got light use during 2016 and no use last year due to poor ice conditions.  I can normally drill 40 holes a day on one battery no problem.  That will vary based on how thick your ice is, how much capacity your battery has, how big an auger you're turning, and probably how sharp your blades are.

A piece of preventative maintenance advice for you...charge the battery only after it's been inside for an hour or two.  Also, I charge mine two or three times during the open water season just to keep it topped off.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Sep 04, 2020, 04:46 PM »
Did we ever clarify the question?

Is it

How many holes can I drill each day?

How long will the blades last?

How long will the battery last?

How long will the machine last?

I would expect a set of blades to last a good long time, and they can be resharpened.

The machine had better last longer than you want it to- I use a 50 year old Jiffy when I need an 8 inch hole.

The batteries, assuming they are new technology should last thousands of cycles, especially if you learn the specific things that age lithium batteries and try to avoid them as much as possible. All tool batteries are made out of the same few industry standard cells, wired in series or parallel, and can be rebuilt if need be, as noted below.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Sep 04, 2020, 05:01 PM »

Exox  fisherman I’m curios how many years have you been ice fishing on your own , seems like you have some knowledge but all the topics you post makes me wonder or if your fishing , no offense just curious

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Sep 05, 2020, 04:10 AM »
Exox  fisherman I’m curios how many years have you been ice fishing on your own , seems like you have some knowledge but all the topics you post makes me wonder or if your fishing , no offense just curious
3 years when i was 14

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Sep 05, 2020, 05:45 AM »
 Thanks for reply , best info you can get is from good fishermen in your area about equipment, bait , etc . if you can get someone to fish with is great
 And we are  never to old to learn , 1 thing if spots are shared don’t break the trust , don’t be a spot burner

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Sep 05, 2020, 08:12 AM »
Never share the good spots

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Sep 05, 2020, 09:27 AM »
Never share the good spots
I share but they don’t go to mine and I don’t go to theirs without them , but these days most guys are learning how to read maps , so there’s days I come to spot and guys are close I just move on , first come first served 🎣

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.