Author Topic: You decide  (Read 6887 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
You decide
« on: Oct 07, 2019, 03:23 PM »
  Found the lake...know where they're at...Now I need to complete my arsinal with a few jigging cranks, and I'm down to 2 choices...the Live Target @ $12 a pop or the Rappala Rippin' Rap at half the price. Experiences on one or both? Thanks.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: You decide
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2019, 03:35 PM »
  Found the lake...know where there at...got a few Pimples, Jiggin Raps, Whistle Jigs and Salmo Darters. Now I need to complete my arsinal with a few jigging cranks, and I'm down to 2...the Live Target @ $12 a pop or the Rappala Rippin' Rap at half the price. Experiences on one or both? Thanks.
not any help but dont buy to many more salmo chubby darters..i cant get a fish to hit those things at all.even the smallest size seems to scare fish.lol

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2019, 04:31 PM »
I agree with the Salmo chubby darters, had a few different one's and never caught anything with them. How ever I do like the slab raps, in Gold chrome/chrome and glow hot perch seems to to the best for me

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2019, 05:16 PM »
my chubby darters hang from the xmas tree and that's it.  i'd skip all those and just get some glow u.v buckshot spoons.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2019, 12:53 PM »
  Found the lake...know where they're at...Now I need to complete my arsinal with a few jigging cranks, and I'm down to 2 choices...the Live Target @ $12 a pop or the Rappala Rippin' Rap at half the price. Experiences on one or both? Thanks.

Go with the livetarget golden shiner, It has the best action when jigged vertical. gizzard shad and baitball lipless rattle baits don't glide off to the side like the golden shiner. I start with an aggressive bait first like the golden shiner and work down to less aggressive baits when looking for walleye. Having a flasher or fish finder helps in determining what mood the fish is in.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2019, 05:25 AM »
I have both Live Target and Rippin Rap and still haven't got fish to bite either, but I've had fish on the Chubby Darter.  Just never know when the fish wants what it wants.  I have a Yozuri Rattl'n Vibe that works well too. 

I bought some Eurotackle Z-viber but needed to bait it to catch fish so the jury is still out on that one.  I tried the Z-darter but didn't catch anything on it, but the lure action is looks promising, so jury is still out on that as well. 

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2019, 09:49 AM »

I have a 3600 box of chubbys , I have 1 lake they do pretty well on eyes and ok on perch In another , the other lakes you can’t beat a jigging rap  , I carry raps from size 2-13 , sometimes a little wider profile with the jigger shad can do the trick , If it’s not broke I don’t try fix it , but I have noticed from reading about different states things change a bit JMO

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2019, 12:38 AM »
I have a 3600 box of chubbys , I have 1 lake they do pretty well on eyes and ok on perch In another , the other lakes you can’t beat a jigging rap  , I carry raps from size 2-13 , sometimes a little wider profile with the jigger shad can do the trick , If it’s not broke I don’t try fix it , but I have noticed from reading about different states things change a bit JMO

This is what I use as well, a chubby or a jigging rap, had pretty good luck with both of them.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2019, 07:16 AM »
My #1 for 'eyes last year was that Acme Hyper-Glide. Also got a Hyper-Rattle but haven't fished it yet. I'd done well with Jigging Raps and Shiver Minnows. So-so with lipless baits, bass and pike seem to like 'em though. Maybe haven't been on the right spot at the right time for that more aggressive presentation. Like others never caught anything on a chubby. The fluttering wings on the Glide seem to be almost irresistible at times.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.