The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Central mass Which place Comet, Brigham,moosehorn  (Read 1071 times)

Offline vonmoe

• IceShanty Rookie
Central mass Which place Comet, Brigham,moosehorn
« on: Mar 01, 2006, 09:14 PM »
A group of us are going to this area, Which one of these places is the best

Offline Sal V.

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Central mass Which place Comet, Brigham,moosehorn
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2006, 06:52 AM »
A Quick Rundown =

Comet – Stocked heavily with rainbow and brown trout.  Also receives surplus broodstock salmon.  Some OK bass fishing action. including a rare small mouth.   Probably won’t find any lunker bass though.  I’ve seen a 12 lbs. salmon caught there and some big hold-over browns as well.  CAREFUL – the ice was NOT safe as of 2 weeks ago, some shanty guys have seen people out there lately however.  With safe ice it’s a busy place to fish on the weekends. 

Brigham – Smallest of the three ponds, very aesthetic place to fish.  Decent good sized bass, pickerel and yellow perch.  Should be lots of action.  No trout.

Moosehorn – Another very secluded pond.  Best bet for largemouths out of these three ponds.  Also no trout.  I’ve heard of some 6-7 lbs bass caught here over the years.  Probably has the safest ice out of the three ponds as well - but I haven't checked conditions on any of these ponds recently.

Hope this info helps.

Sal
You Shoulda Been Here Yesterday!

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2006, 07:37 AM »
ice should be no problem, last saturday there were 10 guys spread all over comet.
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline vonmoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2006, 08:02 AM »
Thanks for both inputs,

I think our destination on sunday will be Moosehorn, Some of the group has had visions of pulling monster salmon out of commet, but as  ice time is running out, I think action is what we are looking for, and moosehorn does seem to be the best choice.

Thanks again

Offline PatTat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Hey Guys, been checking this site for some time now but this is my first post. Went to Brigham last Saturday and the ice was about 10" thick. Had some luck early before the snow hit, a couple lg. mouth, one weighed in at 4lbs, a 1 lb yellow perch, and a 3 lb pick. Left there by noon as the snow was coming down pretty good. My first time to that pond, there were about 5 guys out there. Easy to get to and easy access. Thanks for all the info. from all of you who post here at Shanty.

PatTat

Offline Sal V.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2006, 02:20 PM »
PatTat – It’s been awhile since I fished Brigham, thanks for the great report.  3 lbs is a real nice pickerel!  For a small pond Brigham sure produces.  My buddy caught a monster yellow perch down there a few years ago from my boat.

This forum is IMO the best resource for fishing around New England.  I’m heading up to northern Vermont this weekend to go Pike fishing and the guys on the VT forum are equally helpful. 

Vonmoe – I hear what you’re saying about Comet, it’s a tough call.  I haven’t been trout fishing this year for the same reason; for the amount of times I’ve made it out, I’d rather have the flags.  I’ve found that you really have to put in some hours at Comet to catch decent trout – and I’m still after my first elusive broodstock.  Let us know how you guys do at Moosehorn.  The crappies can also keep you busy if their biting.

Tight lines guys!

Sal
You Shoulda Been Here Yesterday!

Offline BillP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2006, 04:22 PM »
check back a few pages and there is a 20.3 broodstock salmon with pics and it is enormose
Fishing + Hunting + guitar = MY LIFE!!!!!

Fish on
Bill

Offline flapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another season, another reason, to, FISH ON !
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2006, 06:54 PM »
If action is the objective, Moosehorne is the call. If the chance for a trophy or nothing at all Comet is the place, My son Iced a 19/12 Salmon last season , I got a 10. This year I fished it 4 days, flagless 1 day, did 2 days w/ Mark Barlow, watched him Ice his first trout ever, his 1st brown ever, lost one on a backlash.We both got got bookend 2lb bass, I got a 3lb brown, and 3 bows. Fished it Monday in a "hurricane" for 6 hours and had 2 hit and runs. Never fished Brigham, heard it was somewhat productive action wise.
I work all year for this ! PAID TO ICEFISH, GOD BLESS AMERICA !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.