The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: comet is safe  (Read 1057 times)

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
comet is safe
« on: Feb 26, 2006, 07:44 AM »
on way to long pond in rutland, drove by comet, at least 10 guys out on the ice all over the place.
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline BillP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: comet is safe
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2006, 01:05 PM »
REALY  :o
Fishing + Hunting + guitar = MY LIFE!!!!!

Fish on
Bill

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2006, 06:42 PM »
yup, didn't see any open water
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline Citizen0001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2006, 03:52 PM »
I just got back from checking the ice at Long pond in Rutland and it's only got about 3.5" and Browning in Oakham has 7-9".

Anyone know how thick is the ice at Comet? Some folks will go out on 2.5" of ice, I prefer it a little thicker. Anyone been there recently? Conditions at the beach vs. boat ramp? Any insight would be appreciated.

Offline flapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another season, another reason, to, FISH ON !
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2006, 06:23 PM »
I fished Comet Monday during the "Hurricane", there may have been guys all over the place the other day, but let me tell you first hand that there may be 5" in one spot and 10 feet away there is 2" and the shore on the right side from the bridge up is very dangerous. I'm a bravesoul when it comes to Ice Fishing, I'm by no means trying to scare anyone away but be very careful, what you think is safe, may not be!  Especially with the snow cover and small drift mounds. Last Saturday I was there to check it out after I went to see some guys at the derby in Leicester and there were open water holes all over the place in and around the boat ramp area, you could not get on at the ramp period. I'm not one for telling people what to do, but I sure would not venture out there alone. Yeah it's safe, but not real safe if you saw it first hand like I did Saturday. I could care less what people may think of this post, what I do care about is someone going through, and more so, losing a life. Good Luck if you venture out to Comet, say a prayer, and please be careful where you step! Try not to fish alone, bring a friend and a rope. Again, I am not trying to keep anyone away, just first hand observation from an experienced Icer. If you saw what I saw last Saturday, and not a person was on it Sunday too when I drove up again, there was a fisherman at the beach off 68, and a buddy of mine that lives in Hubbardston said that would be the safest place to fish in his opinion, and is an experienced Icer too. Again be safe and fish with a friend or near another person.
I work all year for this ! PAID TO ICEFISH, GOD BLESS AMERICA !

Offline Citizen0001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2006, 08:02 PM »
Thanks Flapjack for the update and the advice! I stopped by there about week and a half ago and saw what you did - open water and unsafe ice. The guys want to head out there but I am a bit anxious with the ice conditions lately and needed a first hand update. As a rookie to ice fishing I am very cautious out there  :unsure: and haven't ventured out alone yet. We'll make the call in the morning and see where we end up. Thanks again!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.