Author Topic: Auger mount to ATV  (Read 17335 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Auger mount to ATV
« on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:35 PM »
What homemade mounts have you come up with to carry your auger on your ATV?  I'm taking a trip and need to whip something up quickly

Thanks
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Auger mount to ATV
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:15 PM »
Not sure what your time is worth, but for around $80, you can buy a Digger Auger holder from a store like Fleet Farm. I have seen them for more and for less but, they are the ticket for carrying an auger. I realize you inquired looking to make a holder but at least give theirs a glance and maybe you will be able to at least use it for a pattern. Digger Anchor company makes them.

WS

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:24 PM »
Well I was just looking for something quick, temporary, and easy. I don't have a Fleet by me. 

I didn't want to re-invent the wheel.   I'm sure I'm not the first person to need a quick fix like this.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:42 PM »
About the easiest thing that you could use is the rifle / bow mounts. 20-30 bucks at most sporting goods shops.

I don't have any pictures handy but in the past and something I will be doing again soon is making one out of a transom saver for a boat motor. Might be overkill unless you are like me and have one in the garage that will not be used. Cut in half and to desired height for each side and use ubolts of the size of your rails to attach to the square channel tube. I put some carpet pad with tape over the rounded section and use that nearest the auger head and the other for the blade. Both already have holes for attaching a bungie too. Has worked well for me on sleds and on past atvs.

Good luck. Anxious to hear about what anyone else suggests.

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:09 PM »
build a shallow box with a U cut on both ends just big eough to put the auger in and bunge in place you can also do a google search for atv auger mount and look at images the shallow box leaves room underneath the auger for jig boxes, tools or whatever else http://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0S0uPAVWQdRADkAL7btFAx.?p=atv+auger+mount&fr=sfp&ei=utf-8&n=30&x=wrt  Hope that helps

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:33 PM »
Works for me...

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:03 AM »
I like it Skull!  Simple, functional, and inexpensive!   :thumbsup:   Plus the added convenience of just dropping it in place without the hassle of tiedowns.   Think I'm gonna build one just like it that I can move from my ATV to snowmobile.
All in all, great job!  ;D
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2013, 04:39 PM »
 I want one of those.

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:15 AM »
I like it Skull!  Simple, functional, and inexpensive!   :thumbsup:   Plus the added convenience of just dropping it in place without the hassle of tiedowns.   Think I'm gonna build one just like it that I can move from my ATV to snowmobile.
All in all, great job!  ;D

Not sure I would forego tie downs. Probably never come out, But if you bottom a wheel in someone's ice hole, why take the chance. You could permanently mount one end of a bungee and 2 seconds to fasten the other end around the auger. Or you could make a hinged "brace" out of a piece of wood that clamps around the auger. Kind of like seat belts, hope you never need them, but if you ever do.....
Aside from that, a very Zoot looking carrier!  :tipup:
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline virgilmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2013, 02:33 PM »
I used Skulldugary's idea and I must say it is better than anything you could buy. Wood is much better to use than steel for the protection of your auger during transport. i have used allot of different auger holders and this is the most practicable and affordable. Cant go wrong, I did look at the Otter Auger Holder but i could see were it would dull the cutting blade, and it would cost allot more. Thanks for the idea Skulldugary. Here are some pics of my build.

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:18 PM »
I used Skulldugary's idea and I must say it is better than anything you could buy. Wood is much better to use than steel for the protection of your auger during transport. i have used allot of different auger holders and this is the most practicable and affordable. Cant go wrong, I did look at the Otter Auger Holder but i could see were it would dull the cutting blade, and it would cost allot more. Thanks for the idea Skulldugary. Here are some pics of my build.

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

lOOKIN GOOD! I'M GOING TO HAVE A VERY BUSY SUMMER GETTING READY FOR NEXT YEARS ICE! THANKS FOR SHARING!!!
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2013, 05:47 PM »
Fine job Virgil.....looks great....Glad I was able to post something that helped some one out.....good luck fishin'..

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2013, 03:48 AM »
Crap!!! I was going to steel this idea until I realized it was to wide for my enclosed trailer. Anyone out there have a Auger Sidekick? That might fit .

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Couple of bolts,washers and wing nuts.....Might be able to cut some slots in the boxes....Lossen the wing nuts and slide boxes twards center to load in trailer.When ya get to the lak,pull the boxes out and tighten wing nuts...

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2013, 05:47 PM »
Couple of bolts,washers and wing nuts.....Might be able to cut some slots in the boxes....Lossen the wing nuts and slide boxes twards center to load in trailer.When ya get to the lak,pull the boxes out and tighten wing nuts...

Got my work cut out for me in the off season. I sure like the way the "box" holds and protects the auger . If I come up with a doable solution I will try to post some picks.   :tipup:

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2013, 05:53 PM »
 I have a rack on the front of my four wheeler that holds hand augers fine. But I am not sure about power augers.

Offline Billwyo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2013, 06:06 PM »
im not tell you how to haul your auger. But they would like it if you haul the head of it one side up oppisite of the propane bottle.keeps the oil from leaking out .
It's all fun and games until someone looses a walleye

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:32 PM »
For a very low tech. auger mount on the front, I double up a 4 x 4 foot piece of heavy grade carpet and lay it on the front rack. I then put the auger on the carpet with the gas tank fill spout on the up side.  I then take two bungies and wrap them around the top of the auger and the bottom and stretch them down tight.   It works every time. Not so pretty but works fine.
Thread killer

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:36 AM »
I currently have a "gun rack" on the front , but the head isn't really supported and has a habit of rotating usually with the gas cap at the bottom. Hasn't leaked yet, but would rather figure out a way to stop the head from turning. The wooden rack above would have been perfect, I will just have to figure out a quick release so I can load my ATV in my enclosed trailer.
On a down note, I am heading to northern Wisconsin this weekend and the local bait shop report specifically stated ATV's weren't getting around on the lakes due to snow/slush. What a bummer. Looks like I will be humping my gear on foot.  :(

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2013, 07:30 PM »
TrikerJohn - Where are you headed in Wisc.? I was over on the Chetek chain last weekend and rode my atv all over w/o putting in 4wd even once. The snow cover was pretty hard and dry, kind of wind packed. No problem getting around. More snow coming though I hear.

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2013, 06:30 AM »
TrikerJohn - Where are you headed in Wisc.? I was over on the Chetek chain last weekend and rode my atv all over w/o putting in 4wd even once. The snow cover was pretty hard and dry, kind of wind packed. No problem getting around. More snow coming though I hear.

The Minocqua area, specifically Lake Minocqua. Hated to haul my quad all the way up there only to find out the snow was to deep to ride it. After reading your post, I think I will drag it along, and if I can't ride it, then I can't, but if the lake is accessible, then I would be kicking myself for leaving it 350 miles away. Wish me luck-I will try to get a report here when I return. On the plus side, I heard the fishing was finally starting to pick up.   :icefish:

Offline getsomekayak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2013, 09:13 AM »
The Minocqua area, specifically Lake Minocqua. Hated to haul my quad all the way up there only to find out the snow was to deep to ride it. After reading your post, I think I will drag it along, and if I can't ride it, then I can't, but if the lake is accessible, then I would be kicking myself for leaving it 350 miles away. Wish me luck-I will try to get a report here when I return. On the plus side, I heard the fishing was finally starting to pick up.   :icefish:
We were in Mercer 2 weeks ago. ATVs were useless for the most part. Foot and a half of snow on top of 6" of slush. We managed to use them one day, then the next they were frozen solid blocks (didnt help it was -26 over night)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.