The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Camp Joslin Derby Feb 16th  (Read 2461 times)

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Camp Joslin Derby Feb 16th
« on: Jan 26, 2013, 12:04 PM »

Offline Scotty D

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Camp Joslin Derby Feb 16th
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2013, 04:33 PM »
weird. I have a flyer Saying its on long pond in rutland! Why the change?
just five more minutes!!! i swear there is one chasing that shiner right now!

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nationality: Porterguese of course!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:16 PM »
The DCR turned down our permit this year .. So on to Webster lake... This will be better for us in the long run as we would like a more permanent home for the derby with plenty of parking and good fishinf

Offline 200fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Is the whole lake open for the derby, or is it limited to the Memorial Beach area?
"Indecision may or may not be my problem"  -Jimmy Buffett

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:49 AM »
Thanks for the great question.. The derby committee is still trying to figure that out... More info to follow!

Offline FROZEN SHINER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:44 AM »
Glad to see you got it going bud ... ;D
Keep busting those holes and re-baiting those Indian Hill's

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2013, 11:24 AM »
Awesome. Porter i hope its all of the lake. I like to be spread out and dislike memorial beach area. Ill def go if i can set up on south pond.

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2013, 02:46 PM »
gates open at 7 am? we can't get into the parking lot before 7 am?

burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline JimC

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2013, 12:31 PM »
they lock the gate at webster, I'm in and can't wait as long as I can fish anywhere on the pond also   ;D

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2013, 01:57 PM »
Guys... remember this tournament if for charity and for children with Diabetes. This cause is near and dear to alot of fisherman on this board, so if there are derby guidelines/rules that are unfavorable to you - please refrain from posting negative comments. Alot of time and effort has happened this year to keep this tournament alive and the volunteers are working hard to deliver a great day for our guests.

It is looking like it will be only open to the North Pond (near memorial beach) and yes, the town gates only open at 7am, hence the 8am starting time. Unfortunately, we don't have the volunteers/manpower to cover middle lake as well. We have extended the end time as well to allow for more fishing ;D

We hope to see each of you there and enjoy the day with you :tipup:

Offline jamiebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:47 PM »
Porter, are we allowed to bring a burn barrell on the ice for cooking etc, might have a group of guys wanting to go thanks ;)
Team Fighting Muskrats

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:18 AM »
Porter, are we allowed to bring a burn barrell on the ice for cooking etc, might have a group of guys wanting to go thanks ;)

Jamie -

I'm not sure.. but we are checking on it. If any anglers know the Lake and the Town of Webster and know the answer, please feel free to chime in.... but I do have an email sent checking on it. Tight lines.  :tipup:

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:58 AM »
Jamie -

I'm not sure.. but we are checking on it. If any anglers know the Lake and the Town of Webster and know the answer, please feel free to chime in.... but I do have an email sent checking on it. Tight lines.  :tipup:

Ive never heard of anyone getting in trouble for having a fire pit that wasnt directly ont he ice.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:59 AM »
Guys... remember this tournament if for charity and for children with Diabetes. This cause is near and dear to alot of fisherman on this board, so if there are derby guidelines/rules that are unfavorable to you - please refrain from posting negative comments. Alot of time and effort has happened this year to keep this tournament alive and the volunteers are working hard to deliver a great day for our guests.

It is looking like it will be only open to the North Pond (near memorial beach) and yes, the town gates only open at 7am, hence the 8am starting time. Unfortunately, we don't have the volunteers/manpower to cover middle lake as well. We have extended the end time as well to allow for more fishing ;D

Hey Porter, so is it all of North Pond? or is it going to be a restricted area of north pond?

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Hey Porter, so is it all of North Pond? or is it going to be a restricted area of north pond?

Tony - It's looking that way at this point. Don't worry - it will be clear at the registration table.  :tipup:

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2013, 12:54 PM »
Tony - It's looking that way at this point. Don't worry - it will be clear at the registration table.  :tipup:

Okay, just wanna do some scouting before the derby and test some areas. ive never really fished that area.

Offline jamiebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:01 PM »
thank ya guys
Team Fighting Muskrats

Offline FROZEN SHINER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:32 PM »
Fire pits in a container is the way to go .. DON'T LEAVE LOGS ON ICE ... ;D

Offline JimC

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:37 AM »

Porter, I hope you didn't take what I said the wrong way., Not meant to be a negative comment,   I'm going no matter what.  i'll see you there.
Jimmy

Offline 200fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2013, 11:43 AM »
gates open at 7 am? we can't get into the parking lot before 7 am?

burp
You didn't hear this from me :whistle:, but when I went by the beach at 6:30 this morning, the gates were already wide open. Just sayin'...
"Indecision may or may not be my problem"  -Jimmy Buffett

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2013, 01:08 PM »

Porter, I hope you didn't take what I said the wrong way., Not meant to be a negative comment,   I'm going no matter what.  i'll see you there.
Jimmy

Jimmy, no problem ... I look forward to seeing you on the 16th.. See my next post for info on the fires :tipup:

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Jeff, looking forward to this great Derby. Havent been there since we have had terrible weather the past couple of years. Cant wait to be there again for such a great cause. The Goatboys are looking forward to support this cause, and also supporting the great people who work so hard for this derby!!! :tipup:

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:53 PM »
BJ... Sounds good .. A goatboy presence would be awesome. See you soon Bob.  :tipup:

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:57 PM »
Thanks to frozen shiner who contacted Webster fire. They stated that contained fires (I.e. burn barrels) are allowed and that no large logs/debris should be left on the ice. Lastly, only wood can be burned.... NO CONSTRUCTION MATERIAL can be burned. Hope this helps!

Offline jamiebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 04, 2013, 03:03 PM »
thank you again Porter and FS
Team Fighting Muskrats

Offline FROZEN SHINER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:14 PM »
I'll be checking ice when i can any reports would be great and what location ... Thanks  :P

Offline cticedog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:05 PM »
Is that Webster Lake as soon as you get into Mass from CT. And is there a place to buy a Lic?

Offline F.R.E.D.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:16 AM »
You can get a mass lisence online @ masswildlife.

How we looking for this T? Its tops on my list this year. :tipup:

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:33 AM »
Is that Webster Lake as soon as you get into Mass from CT. And is there a place to buy a Lic?

There is a bait shop called hillside bait & tackle but they dont sell licences. Its much easier anyways to buy them online. You just print out your copy.

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:21 PM »
It comes with much regret that the Camp Joslin/Barton Center Ice Fishing Tournament Committee has formally cancelled the upcoming derby scheduled for this Saturday. The reasons for the cancellation are stated below and we hope that all anglers understand that it is in the best interest of our guests in terms of Safety (#1) and Enjoyment (#2). 

Note: We have personally checked the ice conditions and parking lot at Memorial beach both yesterday and today... and have been closely watching the weather forecasts all week, including the next few days as well.

1. The parking area at Memorial Beach has not been plowed and the town is not intending on clearing it prior to the derby... as their equipment is committed (heavily) elsewhere in town.

2. The edges under the heavy snow pack are getting soft and beginning to break with any extra weight.... largely due to the runoff/melt from the shore/land/ramp; also alot of water rushed through the few holes we drilled... so we couldn't imagine the situation if a large amount of holes were to be drilled at once ???

3. The ice is 7-8" thick, but there are many open holes under the thick snow pack (we came across several that were getting large) - definitely a safety issue

4. If you are questioning #1 to #3 above, please keep in mind this is a family oriented tournament involoving lots of little ones and mostly recreational ice fisherman (vs. die hards like yourselves ;D) We must keep in mind the safety of all of our guests, including each of you.

We are already beginning to think about next year which is scheduled to be February 15th on Webster Lake (Memorial Beach). We would like to thank each of you for your passion and interest in our derby... and most of all, for your generosity to the cause (curing diabetes).

Thank you again :tipup:      - Porter, Dan Kenney, Unoman and the rest of the Camp Joslin Derby Committee

P.S. If anyone would still like to donate to the Barton Center cause, please feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you asap.  :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.