Author Topic: Your Tacklebox  (Read 5446 times)

Offline tzeigs

• IceShanty Rookie
Your Tacklebox
« on: Jan 17, 2013, 02:36 AM »
Over the past couple of years I have started to outgrow my tacklebox that I use.  I actually use it for hard and soft water fishing.  It is a simple Plano hard hat style, 3 tray tacklebox.  Not to big and easy to carry around.

I will soon be in the market for a new (& bigger) tacklebox at the rate I am collecting gear.  So I have two questions:  1)  What are you guys using for tackleboxes? and 2) How do you arrange your jigs/lures, etc.  Do you do it by color, weight? etc.

If you have pictures of your tacklebox, that would be great.  Thanks is advance......

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Your Tacklebox
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:50 AM »
I use a marlboro soft sided cooler,lunch size,I like the way the pockets are set up on it,and my storage boxes fit perfect in it,I got it at a yard sale for 2 bucks,you can buy a sft sided tackle bag but there a little pricey,check out soft sided coolers heck you might even allready have one laying around the house to use,I dont see the need for a real big tackle box for ice fishing so these work fine for me

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:13 AM »
Soft sides with the plastic Plano boxes seem to be very popular. With that said I have an old plastic hard box for my winter tackle. The top lifts open and I have storage for 3 small jig boxes (the kind the fly guys use) plus I have plenty of room up there for 3 mini Plano boxes filled with my go to swim baits.

The front folds down to access 4 bigger Plano boxes. The top one is stuffed with all my terminal gear. The other three are filled with jigging raps, Darters, basically all my walleye swim baits.

I think the main thing is no matter how you set up your system, it is important to have an intimate knowledge of exactly where everything is. When the sun goes down and a flurry hits and a mad dash to the box is needed, is not the time to be struggling looking for this or that.

One other quick note. Every once in awhile I open my box and lay everything out for a picture. It is unbelievable how many dollars worth of gear is stuffed into a box. I figure if the day comes and I need to account for a $2000 insurance claim it will only help.

WS

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:16 AM »
Will post pictures of my 3 boxes I tend to use, at work right now and not able to get them posted atm.

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:51 AM »
I use one of the Berkley 2 box soft tackle bags.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:16 AM »
Ahhh, just posted a similar question! Will keep an eye on this thread. I can't seem to decide what is the perfect size/setup for my hardwater tacklebox.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:54 AM »
I like a softside with plastic boxes.  Then I can organize those smaller boxes by jig/spoon type. Heavy metal, homemade little guys, live bait stuff, etc.  Also, I like to keep a small box on my person so that while im hole hopping around, I can switch things out.  So this gives me alot of flexibility, and at anytime during the day, as things get spread out a bit, I can quickly just toss them all back in the softside and move on....

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:56 AM »
I use the biggest plastic tackle box I can find and right now that is one from Flambeau. It has a nice sliding tray system and a couple trays on the lid which covers a massive compartment to hold the big stuff. It is just the right size to hold all my freshwater stuff and when I go ice fishing I take out some select items and throw them in my Plano 5 gallon bucket topper and put the big stuff in the bucket.

I don't do a lot of jigging though...mostly live bait on tipups so there isn't a lot to bring but there is room for plenty of stuff.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:29 PM »
Your set up ain`t bad.
Master Laker taker.

Offline lure loon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:56 PM »
Small tip for whatever style you decide to go with .  I use corks from wine bottles to keep my lures organized . You can keep multiple small lures on one cork and they stay sharp , not tangled and easier to retreive when needed . Good luck this year .

Offline fishslayer32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:05 PM »
I just use my Vex box. I can get plenty in there.
Honda, walleye, perch, jiffy, can't beat me!, the best, Frabill, frozen water, fish fry, pike, bass, tip up, Vexilar, Clam, John Deere, Eskimo, Aqua Vu, Mr. Heater, Monster Energy, steak.

Offline Steve Rowbotham

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:02 AM »
My ice gear I used to take in a BPS Xtreme 360 bag, though lately Ive just been filling a single tray as I need it.  I carry way too much stuff on the ice that I wont need and a single tray seems to do the trick.  Though I occasionally kick myself when I forget something in the bag at home.
The tray is in addition to the 2 mini trays in my Elite 4x case that carries my "go-to's" at all times.

Offline Mistabray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:47 AM »

And here's how to make your own Musky Bait Box for under $30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6FcVtUOBh8
Everybody has to believe in something.
      ... I believe I'll go fishing.

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2013, 09:59 AM »
Most of my stuff fits in a 5 gal.bucket heres a few pics of some of my tackle.

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2013, 12:15 PM »
Are those circle containers meant to stack inside of the bucket? If so where did you get them because I need to order some ASAP...that is a great idea!

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2013, 12:21 PM »
yes they are sending a pm

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2013, 12:59 PM »
these are what i got my smaller jigs in i got the round one for the bigger stuff on lake erie but you already seen those so it saved me some time. any ways these boxes are one clam box small and one small scientific angler system fly box.

this one i got for tungsten.

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2013, 02:08 PM »
Here is another thread along the same topic:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=109076.0

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2013, 04:07 PM »
Small tip for whatever style you decide to go with .  I use corks from wine bottles to keep my lures organized . You can keep multiple small lures on one cork and they stay sharp , not tangled and easier to retreive when needed . Good luck this year .

You have any idea how much wine I would have to drink to keep all my jigs on corks?  On the other hand........

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2013, 05:29 PM »

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline drinkwater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:48 AM »
holy cow, i've never seen so much ice fishing gear for one person. lol.  I'm jealous, all i have is an old pill box with maybe a half dozen simcoe-bugs, you guy's have more stuff than our local bait shop. lol.  way to go!

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2013, 11:56 AM »
RG,  What case are you using - looks nice?  I also assume you added the foam to suit your needs?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2013, 12:21 PM »
The tote came from Lowes. $40 or so I think. I added some packing foam for rod holders. I built it to use with my Commando. Works great. Plenty of room for stuff...more stuff and extra stuff ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2013, 12:25 PM »
Some of the rest of the collection.

RG

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2013, 01:28 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

RG
Thats pretty cool, do they still have those totes at lowes, seems like every time my father or me find something we like they stop making it or selling it, I order extras now because of that.
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2013, 05:13 PM »
I would say yes, but I really don't know for sure.

RG

Offline cooper2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2013, 07:02 PM »
RG
That is nice- keeps everything tidy. I hate when your rods are all wadded up and tangled together

Offline fl18guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2013, 07:09 PM »
rg can u find the name or model on that box. My wife workis for them, maybe they have one local so i can organize my stuff. i will have here check tomorrow. Thank you

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2013, 07:22 PM »
She's a little light on lures. It holds 396 jigs. Its made for flies. I think. It's a Flambeau (I bought it on-line)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.