Author Topic: Best Traps for everything?  (Read 2453 times)

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
Best Traps for everything?
« on: Feb 14, 2005, 08:10 PM »
I have alot of money saved up and dont care how much the traps cost but I want to get the highest quality traps that are made. What are the "Best traps" for all species ( Bass, Salmon, Lake Trout, ect.)?Ive looked at Jack Traps and like them alot, any other trap brands that are good?  :tipup:

MikeThePike

Re: Best Traps for everything?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2005, 08:23 PM »
The Heritage Laker tip-ups are also nice. Nothing like the quality on the Jack Traps.

Just keep in mind fancy expensive tip-ups aren't nessesarily any better than cheap ones. My biggest fish through the ice so far (45" musky) came on a tip-up that costed around $5 prespooled with line. (I didn't buy them, found them left in the water & sat & chipped them out of the ice. Took about 20 minutes to chip out each of the 3.)

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2005, 08:31 PM »
Yes for me it seems that the shi*tier the tip up, the more likely the fish is going to hit. Of course the fish aren't going to hit the well setup exspensive high quality tip up that you want them to hit. I have one tip up that didn't even use to trip and has a flag tied on with a metal coil that will occasionally fall off and yet the fish seem to love it.

MikeThePike

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2005, 08:36 PM »
Ah PikePopper, yes, the tip-up that you lost the flag to so you used a $1 bill for a flag. That got blown off so you used a piece of paper from the bagel shop.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2005, 09:34 PM »
The Jacks are certainly a nice rig but a bit pricy IMO.
I own five Heritage lakers with the graphite spools and think they are every bit as nice and about $10 each cheeper. I also like the idea that all the parts for Heritage Lakers are redily available so you can keep them in tip top condition for many, many years. I used a paste furniture wax on mine by Minwax to protect the wood and keep some of the ice from building up on them while fishing. I suppose one could take the sticks appart and varnish or polyurethane them for a complete protective coat. Not sure the manufacturer would recommend this though because the wood should be allowed to breath, get wet and then dry out.
I am sure, given the non issue of money that I would purchase HLs again and never want for more. Wind trips or lively baitfish trips do not happen when propperly set.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2005, 10:49 PM »
yup, the crappiest trap catches all the fish, so if you want to catch lots of fish.....but the trap you choose is what you decide that you like best; I originally started with wooden HT traps; always worked fine, and seemed to catch my share of fish; now I like the Polar HT's and Thermo traps; easy and reliable to set, quick to pick up and move. I'd suggest maybe buying a couple of differant styles (one of each) and see what you like. Anything you buy and don't especially like can always be kept as a backup trap, or brought along to put out if you have people fishing with you that don't have traps, (but do have a license, of course) Remember, you aren't an icefisherman until you got more stuff than you can carry! (then it's time for a sled or clamshell.....)
Gregg

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2005, 10:55 PM »
Lol thanks for your opinions guys im prob gonna keep looking into the different traps but im still likeing the jack traps the best. Keep on with your opinons please. Thanks ;D

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2005, 06:00 PM »
As far as Heritage lakers go do your self a favor if you buy them and glue the brass stem that the spool is attached into the wood because they will fall out and you will lose your spool in the water. I have five laker traps and will not buy them again because if you have to rebuild a trap before you use it, it must be junk. Jack traps are the way to go.

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2005, 07:14 PM »
i have four different types of tip ups and i have pros and cons about all of them my brother and i usually fish together on a lake that we have a cabin on there is a tip up at the cabin must have been there for a hundered years. old wooden tip up with hunered year old line, something like 8# mono. the tip up even has a name, "Dale" it was my dads since he wrote his name on it. no matter what we will always put this junker in the rotation because no mater what we always cath a fish on it. so i agree with tinboat and pikepopper   

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2005, 08:49 PM »
I like my HT Polars, although I like the Heritage tipups too, but they seem to wind trip...

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2005, 09:07 PM »
WOW, first time I ever heard about the spool falling off on a HL. Checked all of mine and all I can figure is the user did not set the drag and tighten down the wing nut!
No tip up is FOOL PROOF.
As far as Wind trips go, I can honestly say I have never had one on the HLs. Key is to face the trip mech. into the wind, like any other tip up in windy conditions! I really think a TORNADO would have a hard time tripping a HL that is set right.
I do love my Polar therm extremes and when I go where the smaller and shallower fish are I like the portability of them.
When I am fishing over 100 feet down and in a hole that is 10.25 inches the polars just don't get it. Heritage Lakers are the best all around tip in my humble opinion at a reasonable price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jacks are very nice but a bit pricy and the disc types Polars have some great advantages and some dis advantages.
My suggestion will be to get a couple of each and see what fits your style of fishing.
It never hurts to have a few extra quality traps in the box once you figure out what you like best. My betting money would go on the HLs for overall best.
I used to believe a particular tip up produced more fish and also that a particular hole was the "Honey hole" and then I kept on fishing and dis-proved both. When all else fails I get out the jig rod and rarely leave without dinner.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2005, 09:13 PM »
i've got five nice beaverdam's, and five nice HL's, but it seems that whenever i use tipups, i am always going to my 5 of my dads old set of 20 tipups from the 60's...they just work the best.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2005, 09:41 PM »
Ah Come on Big Red, we have all been watching and you already said you can't catch Sh@$.
Your Pics must be from other guys and we all know those old traps don't work except in your dreams ;D
Lets Vote!
He who posts the most with the least gets the prize of a day on the ice with Big Red.
Don't expect to catch any fish but it should be a great time.
Where did you get those SLOB pearch any way!

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2005, 11:31 PM »
im with pasquatch i like the polars ive been given hand me downs for 2 years and i got a good mix and match bag and they seem to work best for me personally :tipup:

my .02  jason

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2005, 05:20 AM »
Gamealot, It isn't a matter if setting the drag or the wingnut falling off, it's a matter of the brass stem coming out of the wood. The wood swells and shrinks and after you have used them a time or two they will fall out. There are alot of Lakers in use here in Maine and I am not the only one who has had this trouble. I will say that I removed the brass stem and drilled the wood and put a bolt in place of the brass stem and replaced the metal wing nut with a teflon nut so there is no chance of the loosing anything now. After the modifications they work very nice, but like I said in an earlier post if you need to rebuild them before you use them what good are they?

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2005, 05:35 AM »
I would go with Heritage Laker traps:
they are middle of the road and highly visible if you get a flag

it sounds like you are heading towards jack traps and if you are then you've made a good choice too.  Go with your gut instinct that way you wont always wonder what you should have bought ;)

All traps will catch fish ;D

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2005, 07:40 AM »
Thanks for clarifying this issue Jigmaster.
I went back and checked all of mine over completely. Mine are tight and absolutely no problems noted with the shafts. Mine are also very well used and spend two to three days a week in the water.
I will keep your FIX in mind and if ever they loosen up I will drill and replace the shaft with a headed screw of either brass or SS.
I sure will not have to make this repair any time soon from the condition they are in after three solid years of use.
I am wondering if you leave your HLs in the truck or unheated garage after use and if so, could the freezing be the culprit? Mine are brought into the house and allowed to dry after each use unless I am on a weekend trip.
Gary 

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:15 AM »
Gamealot, My time on the ice is very valuable, my traps are inside after every trip and given a complete going over before the next trip. No freeze ups, windflags or binding drags here. I fish for Muskies and alot of the time I will use big 10-16" suckers and have to run some drag, when using the brass stems the wood will swell and exert pressure on the red plastic piece thus on to the spool itself giving more drag then is wanted, with the bolt and nut the wood can expand and contract all it wants and not effecting the drag because the red plastic piece is up against the nut and not the wood. Trust me on this one! Just a heads up not trying to cause trouble.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:21 AM »
Great info JM. I have experienced a problem with the drags tightening up for no apparent reason and you just solved the problem! My wood is swelling and the reel gets tight.
I bet I have the bolts installed by this week end! :bow:
Thank you.
Gary

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2005, 11:55 AM »
Heritage Laker are the only way to go.

bearME

« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2005, 07:00 PM »
I'm new to Tip up fishing and bought my first set this season also. I looked at Heritage Laker's and Jacks . I choose the jackTrap 31" std. I just felt they where a better built trap. Both are nice and should serve you well from all the info I've obtained.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.