Author Topic: warm boots  (Read 8330 times)

Offline Bschrock55

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: warm boots
« Reply #60 on: Oct 01, 2013, 01:09 AM »
Lots of good boots out there, I like mucks.  I prefer the woodsy elite, comfort rated to -40 and antimicrobial liner so they don't stink.

More important than the boots though is having dry feet.  As someone posted earlier, don't leave the house and drive a ways in you're boots.  You're feet will sweat and you may not really feel it. As soon as you hit the ice, you'll freeze.  If I have any distance to drive I will change my socks when I get there and dry my feet off with baby powder, then put my boots on.  Also, make sure your boots are 100% dry.  If you typically fish back to back days, get a boot dryer like the sell for ski boots.

Outside of ice fishing, I've sold ski boots for 10+ years and people always complain about cold feet.  They always want "warmer" boots, 90% of the time their boots are fine and they can fix their problem by simply keeping their feet dry and making sure they have decent circulation. 

Hope that helps.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #61 on: Oct 01, 2013, 08:54 AM »
Kind a like ford or chevy  Blonde or brunette. Everybody has a preference. The white bata mickeys are the best buy out there for the money. I have went through several times and filled them with water, Peel them of  wring out your socks and dump the boots out and put them back on and keep going. No felt lined boot will do that. Early on I carry an extra pair of socks just in case. feet stay warm even with wet ones but I don't like wet socks. Just wish they has better traction.  Steve

Offline udflyer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Northern Ohio Ice Fisher
« Reply #62 on: Oct 01, 2013, 08:56 AM »
I found a pair of Mickey Mouse boots cheap on ebay last night.  I will try them out but my Boundrys for the past 15 years have been great.  Trick is thin cotton socks so the air can circulate around your feet.
Northern Ohio Ice Fisher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.