Author Topic: Dumbest thing you've done on the ice  (Read 30225 times)

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Dumbest thing you've done on the ice
« Reply #60 on: Nov 04, 2009, 10:13 AM »
i think the worst i did that i will admit was going to a friends ice house and taking my spikes off at the door so i dont slice his rugs up.  drinking some of his shine and a few beer and telling a few stories and more beer.  now my bladder is real full and got to take a leak, open the door to ice that looks like a mirror step out walk to a safe spot not to close. Start going, and here my favorite word FLAG. Go to run and splat flat on my face in a big yellow puddle...always wear your cleats

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #61 on: Nov 04, 2009, 10:24 AM »
We have a buddy that we would wait to take a leak then yell FLAG  :tipup:!!!After about a dozen times you would think it would get old. Nope, everytime is funnier than the last.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Nov 04, 2009, 10:36 AM »
We got a guy who walks off to pee and yells FLAG!! with his junk hangin' out so everyone turns and looks at him. I wonder about that guy. Whoever looks is refered to by thier indian name for the rest of the day "Knob Hawk".

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 07, 2009, 07:41 PM »
i fished with my buddy tom for many years, mostly for the amusement, laughing at the things tom would do on the ice. one early morning after cutting 15 holes for 3 of us to set our tip ups in. we proceded to help each other out. i skimmed the slush out of a hole as tom proceded to get his tip up ready. tom pulls a lead clip on sounder out of his pocket to check the depth of the water. when he stood over the hole, and just dropped the sounder down the hole, without clipping it to the line. i stood there in awe. lol. 2 to 3 seconds goes by, and tom still looking down the hole. i burst into laughter, and proceded to ask questions like, are you going to buy a sounder for every hole tom? and after dropping one down every hole, how are you going to know how deep it is? lol. tom was razzed all day, and the funny part is he has continued to drop sounders down holes like that. not twice, or 3 times, but up to around 10 times that i know of. will tom ever learn?
  WOW !!! That made me laugh out loud. Great story, and told very well !!! :unsure:
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 07, 2009, 08:32 PM »
We got a guy who walks off to pee and yells FLAG!! with his junk hangin' out so everyone turns and looks at him. I wonder about that guy. Whoever looks is refered to by thier indian name for the rest of the day "Knob Hawk".
Man, I don't ever wanna see something like that. I could also never do something like that. But hearing about it happening to someone else. Friggen hilarious. 
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 14, 2009, 11:41 AM »
Took a couple of guys from work out to catch some pike. They really wanted to give this a try.
They are brothers in law and called to ask if they could bring their buddy whom I didn't know. I said sure why not.
They brought two snowmachines and I had mine. One was Jeremy's and the other was his wifes that his brother in law  was driving. The third guy I didn't know rode backwards on one machine holding on to a cooler of beer.
 We get out to my shack and drill some holes. Well all the tip up are set in old holes we re-drilled that are all in a line. Around each hole is glare ice from all the times I had redrilled the old holes. I got first flag and small pike Jeremy got second flag and small pike then bryce did the same. Their buddy couldn't catch nothing so we let him have several tries when the flags would go up.
About the third time the farthest tip up goes off. So he runs and falls feeet higher than his head on glare ice at first tip up in line and lands on his head. He gets back up and runs toward tip-up and does the same thing at near hole number two. Finally gets near flag that is up and does it again. We could hear his head smack from over 100' away.OUCH! :roflmao: Lost that fish too.
Then after no flags for about an hour he decides to put beer down and ride snowmachine belonging to Jeremys wife. Gets it revved wide open on glare ice patch finally gets a little traction and flips it landing on his head. Knocked him out for 5-10 seconds. The handle bars are bent so he bends them back and decides to take off again. Comes back 5 minutes later but has to keep stopping to turn skis by hand. He had broke handlebars clean off.
 Not sure how Jeremy's wife took it and now I don't fish with drunks anymore
CHRIS
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 16, 2009, 12:36 PM »
Left too early missing the peak of the bite :'(

Offline fullstringer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • They have fins so they can swim to me!
« Reply #67 on: Dec 25, 2009, 08:50 AM »
About 10 years ago. A friend and I went to a derby, first derby for me. The lake was unknown to both of us. So we set out and picked a spot, I didn't like the spot but I said what the H@ll. We drilled two holes with the hand auger. He started drilling the third as I rigged the first two. I sounded them and realized we were only in a foot of water. The third he was drilling  was right into the ground. The auger was junk. Other fishermen were commenting on our location. So embarrassing. There was not much room left and nobody offered to cut holes for us. ugh. Now I live on the lake, and know they drain it and have a topo. 20 feet at its deepest. No more drilling for oil!!! :-\

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:43 AM »
Wow man. You'd think the other guys out there wouldve given you guys a heads up BEFORE you guys started cutting. I undestand its a tourney and all but what the heck.

Offline fullstringer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • They have fins so they can swim to me!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 26, 2009, 12:48 PM »
Yeah that would have been good, someone offering to cut some holes would have been good also. Some prior scouting and a topo would have been smart but, live and learn. Greenhorn's do stupid things to learn. Glad I got those days behind me.

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
« Reply #70 on: Dec 26, 2009, 01:43 PM »
I got two beauties.  Back about 20 years ago, my buddies and I were fishing and drinking on a lake in the U.P., waiting for two of our buddies to show.  I wandered off the take a leak and see two people walking around an island towards us.  I motion my buddies over and we load up with as many snowballs as we can make.  Just as the two guys make it past the island, we proceed to unload a massive barrage on two DNR officers coming to check our licenses.  They were pretty good about it though. 

The other one was over 30 years ago when I was pretty young.  I was cutting a holes with a hand auger and had a chunk of ice built up on the blades.  I went to clean it of and gashed my hand really, really bad.  I figured my Dad was going to be mad, cause he was always harping about the blades, so I didn't want to tell him.  After about an hour the snow around me was covered in blood, he comes over to check on me and I'm nearly unconcious from blood loss.  9 stitches at the local clinic and a stern warning from the doc not to be stupid was the result
Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 27, 2009, 06:03 AM »
Funny stories guys!
Last year fishing the NH derby I went out early on Waukewaun and had a tough go of it getting across the lake because of all the snow on the ice. It was unseasonably warm and the snow was melting so you were ok as long as you walked on the snowmobile tracks. Unfortunatly I did not have a way to let the wife know this when she came out later with some lunch for me. She was fine for the first 60 feet off from shore and then she went down. She leterally went 3' under the snow level almost swimming on top of the ice. Now i dare say that I was cracking up since I was far enough away that she could not hear me laughing, although I could feel the four letter words coming from her at the time. After she pulled herself out it was back to the house to get changed and read a book by the fire the rest of the day. we'll see if she comes out with me this year.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #72 on: Dec 28, 2009, 05:06 AM »
K 2 years ago after working a night shift I decided to go to cotton point on lake George to do some fishing I set up my tip ups and got my portable shanty all set up sat in my chair and started jigging. The next thing I remember is getting up to take a leak and relizing that I was on the other side of the bay 200 yards from my tip ups.   I forgot to tie down the shanty.    The only good thing is that I fished the bay and not the main lake  who knows were I would of ended up that day
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:24 AM »
Combsey n I fish together so if we wanted to we could have this thread alone up to 1000 posts. We done plenty of stupid things out there. Last year I dragged all my junk and kids close to 2 miles out on Lake George. Set up my floorless portable and cut 1 hole inside it. Before I even had a chance to get a line in it, my oldest found that 8" hole with his leg. Dumb on my part and his. No more holes in the shack when the boys are with me! Last week my youngest managed to find one the same way. Chips off the 'ol bloch they are. I'm destined for a wet foot this year. 

Offline JayErica1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vexilar FL-18
« Reply #74 on: Jan 02, 2010, 09:06 PM »
rtgghfjnk

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:28 PM »
ive spent an hour or so seeing how far i can cast my perch rod because the fish were not biting  ;D

Offline Joe Fehr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 06, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Me and a couple friends drove out to Slave lake to do some fishing, grabbed a hotel at High Prairie and headed out fishing for the day. Wind came up bad and things turned into a snow storm, we set  up for a bit close to the launch then I saw the shanty town about 3miles away when the wind slowed for a bit. So off we go in the truck.
So after a while and only 3 walleye later we decide to head back to town. We got about 100yrds and stuck so out comes the shovel, get out and moving again beating a trail back to shore. Finally we get about 3/4 mile and get stuck again, shovel out and start shoveling break shovel.
Call buddy to come pull us out, tell him to bring shovels.
Buddy shows up. Tell him to make sure he doesn't get stuck. He gets stuck 300yards from shore. Walk 2 miles to him. Never brought shovels! Start digging out truck with broken shovels. Crash in truck for the night waiting for sister to bring shovels after she gets off work.
Shovel out truck in like 10 min with shovels  ::) Go to town have breakfast, go home and have a nap. Find a snocat to pull other truck off lake. Shell out $600 for Snocat, hotel (didn't even sleep in) and food! Lesson learned don't call buddy who doesn't listen for help anymore. And get off the lake when the blizzard starts up.

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #77 on: Jan 06, 2010, 04:31 PM »
Answer the phone when your wife calls! Don't do it guys, I have, and it made the rest of my time out there he!!.
Done that!!!!

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #78 on: Jan 06, 2010, 04:31 PM »
Walked to close to an inlet!!!!

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:08 PM »
Well this was coming off the Ice, One of the places I fish the guy that owns the point has a large boys club and we set flags and sit in the boys club and have a few brews. Ha ya sometimes a few too many! Well there was a narrow path shoveled from the lake and I was coming back from checking tip ups and I managed to step on the top of my favorite pair of hodgeman boots with my other foot with cleats on and the cleat ripped a huge hole in the boot I fell flat on my face. Jumped right back up, first thing I do is look to see if any one was looking. Thank goodness no one seen it. But the moral of this story is don't drink and wear cleats. They do a lot of damage  :(
Gator Nation

Offline GiantSquid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:41 PM »
Icechip ......better be careful where you pass out heh old boy  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
and be careful of that potato moonshine ;)

I was fishing with my artificial eye in and sight fishing down my hole. Looked up and it popped out of the socket and fluttered down my ice hole. I wasn't quick enough and it slipped thru my fingers and all I could do was watch it sink down to the depths as it looked back at me. 1,800$ later I got a new one and no longer fish around a ice hole with it in. So if anyone sees me on ice.....this is what I look like ;)2

Is that your idea of an inexpesive flasher?

Offline kauffman_matt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 17, 2010, 11:06 AM »
I went ice fishing for the second time in my life.  I didn't yet have proper boots for the sport.  I was holding my leather work boots (while on my feet) way too close to the sun flower heater and I was HEAVILY intoxicated.  I noticed the smell of smoke in the house only to see that my boots had caught on fire.  I beat the flames out with my bare hands and managed to get melted rubber from the sole of his boots all over my hands.  The next day I had a hang over and a blistered left hand but I managed to make it out and buy a new pair of pack boots.

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:16 PM »
Fishing early in the morning early in the season. I walked out on the ice. In the bay the ice was 4-5" thick all over. I was walking out towards the deeper water when the edge broke off. I fell back on my arse and struggled in the wet to get back on thicker ice. Well I got back on the thick part and looked to see a big crack and water all over. I walked back thinking to myself "Well I ain't fishing out there today." Had I gone in up to my neck it would have been tough to get out. It was 5am and no one esle was any where around. Has to be the dumbest thing I have ever done. EVER.

Offline jrp454

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 26, 2010, 10:14 AM »
Too lazy to put my cleats on and falling on my arse numerous times in a row. :laugh:

done did that one

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Jan 26, 2010, 10:52 AM »
That's funny! Done did it too. And we all probably will do it again.

surflizard

« Reply #85 on: Feb 05, 2010, 05:31 AM »
funniest thing I ever saw:
fishing with my buddy,Mike one time...
after he sounds the hole and sets the depth of his tipup-he hooks a minnow and starts to drop the line down the hole.
He puts the line in his mouth,while he ties a slip knot to mark the depth.A big salmon flashes by the hole and grabs the minnow.Unknown to him,the line is wrapped around one of his front teeth.Ta Dahhhh....instant front tooth removal...more fun than a dentists for sure.After I picked myself up from the ice due to the fit of laughter...I asked him if he wanted to "sound" for his tooth or let it go.   

lael19533

« Reply #86 on: Feb 06, 2010, 07:34 PM »
after laughing over these stories-guess it got the better of me....I set my heavy icewear pant leg on fire today-trying to warm up in 35 below wind chill on Masoma today...figured I'd let my know that stupidity runs amock everywhere! :woot: :blink: ;)2

Offline BBenoit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:14 AM »
man what a day out on the ice i would have freaked out, you will have to look in the summer for the bit, keep on keepin on :tipup:flag up
FISH-ON

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:51 AM »
The dumbest thing someone else did on ice was to place a tip-up 5 feet from someone elses trap when they are the only two on ice!! ;)

Offline snapozz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh no its weed'ez watch out.....:icefishing:
« Reply #89 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:57 AM »
took wesson4 out one day... not the smartest thing ive ever done ::)
Its like my pap told me, "son its the way you hold you mouth"
so i like to keep mine open ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.