Author Topic: frustrating fishing "buddys" that no longer get invited!  (Read 27557 times)

Offline playin4funami

• IceShanty Rookie
  Now I may be set in my ways and like to get away from it all,but also enjoy fishing with a friend now and then. I have quite a few friends that are always looking to go with me,cause they see the results that I sometimes bring home.  Anyway I was at work and a guy I knew pretty well asked to go along when I mentioned a weekend ice trip to a lake about 2 1/2 hrs away.

Being we got along pretty well,I thought okay,no problem. This guy is about 15 years my junior and is usually pretty helpful with other things and we go hunting together sometimes and always have alot of fun.

Well, Saturday morning rolled around,and I was supposed to pick him up at 5 am to head out,thinking I was doing wrong as I was 15 min. late getting to his house to find it dark and nobody up. spent 20 min getting him to wake up and answer the door and another 40 for him to get himself loaded into my truck. We're now over and hour late and get rolling,he sleeps all the way to the lake and then wants to go get a sit down breakfast before going fishing,another hour of fishing time gone there.

We finally get out on the ice and located into a good spotover a sandy bar extending out into the lake that was pretty hot with active fish. I drilled two holes and instructed him to drill two more a couple feet over,while I got gear and things set up and returned to the truck for some stuff I'd forgot.

Upon returning I see him drilling in the ice just inches off shore and running the blades into the sand ruining them for anymore ice cutting and of course they were my spare set as I had changed them out the night before and not yet got another set ready.  So were stuck with 4 good holes ,not the end of the world, let's fish!

I was baiting up a pole and his cell phone rang,he had forgot a appointment that couldn't be cancelled or missed,loaded up and went home,he again slept the whole drive.

I've never asked him fishing again,but he talks about how much fun it was and wants to try it again,no thanks

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: frustrating fishing "buddys" that no longer get invited!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2009, 11:05 PM »
haha, sorry to laugh but that is very unfortunate.  I have never had an experience like that, but went last year with a kid in one of my classes who tended to be quite the story teller.  he had a full bucket of tip ups, his own power auger and paid for gas and beer, so I figured I could deal with a few stories, we always had fun.

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:47 AM »
the guy sounds a bit selfish to me, I'll tell ya what, if I were you, that fella would have missed that appointment....MM

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2009, 06:09 AM »
When it comes to hunting or icefishing you get a 5 minute "grace period" then you are on your own, I don't wait and I don't wake people up.  When you are driving you make the rules.  Answering a cellphone on the ice, that's a completely different issue. 

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2009, 06:49 AM »
Sounds to me like he went out and had a good time the night before the fishing trip. I hate that when people do that. I want a fishing companion not a post game party animal.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2009, 06:58 AM »
I hear ya!  But, I go by a 5 minute "grace period" the other way - I'm early.  If someone is taking me fishing, I'm packed, ready, and waiting at the door with plenty of time to spare!  Last year, we (Dad + 2 cousins) made an annual trip to Canada - couldn't sleep the night before, so I got to Dad's house to pick him up a bit early (40 minutes early).  Think Mom was a little ticked with me showing up a little after 3am instead of 4.  Point being that like most people on this site, fishing is VERY important to me - Very frustrating when someone doesn't respect that.  That guy would be at the end of my list of who to take fishing.

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2009, 10:37 AM »

If you are a real fisherman or hunter, like most of us, then you can never fall asleep the night before a hunting or fishing expedition because you are too pumped up with deer and giant fish racing through your head.
If someone tells you to be ready at 5 a.m. you will have all your stuff packed up the night before and at the door... you will eat breakfast at 3 a.m. and spend the next 1 1/2 hours fine tuning your gear until 5.

Leave the chumps at home if they can't wake up... they don't deserve the opportunity.

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2009, 10:40 AM »
thats why if i am fishing with someone i meet them at the lake.  If they want to be late and then be a pain at the lake they can leave and i can stay.  Thats why i fish alone most of the time.
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2009, 10:41 AM »
If ya can't run with the big dawgs....stay on the porch........LOL
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline pawilds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2009, 12:07 PM »
I have alot of people that see my results and want to try the sport of ice fishing. I am fine with this as it is always fun to teach someone who is truthfully interested. I even provide the ride and all the equipment. I bet 4 out of the last 5 people i have taken have not been prepared for a day on the ice, even after a super long speech i give to each of them about how cold it can be and be prepared for the worst conditions. This is why I no longer give anyone a ride to the lake, so i can tell them to go ahead and leave. It is amazing to me how stupid some people can be. When i first started ice fishing the gentleman that took me for the first time gave me a speech about how to prepare. I found myself getting yelled at because i had brought way to much stuff! Just the difference of true sportsman or just people that want to fit in I think.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2009, 12:16 PM »
Yep, frustrating alright. But my friends know that their breakfast would have been a drive through gas station for powdered donuts at best, and the missed appointment would have been made by someone coming out and picking dufus up!! 5 Hour drive round trip is too long to just turnaround for except for an emergency.

I guess also your buddy is very lucky that you are as dedicated and patient as you are. Icefishinlady would have had me pulling away to our fishing hole after about 5 minutes or less of bud not being ready.

Maybe I am just anal, but my wife and I tell our friends that if they are more than x-minutes late, then they can call for directions. Getting to the lake on time is very important to us anyways, and we let our friends know it in advance so there is no reason to be surprised that we have left without them if they have not called ahead.

Hope this does not offend anyone, but it is just the way it is :tipup:

Offline JimmieDean

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Everyone Dies, but Not Everyone Lives! RIP T Ryan
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2009, 12:20 PM »
My buddy did that same thing to me last weekend. Told me he would buy the bait and would be ready for 5am. I sat in the driveway until 5:30 trying to stir him from a self inflicted flu. I said to myself the heck with it, went back home, got my bait bucket and fished all day myself. Lets just say (I hope he doesn't read this post) we have plans for 5am tomorrow. My plans are to drive right by his house and fish along again, maybe he will get the point. I'm like you guys. the night before fishing or hunting I go to bed early, always wake up 2 hours before I am suppose to because I'm dreaming of that big fish I'm going to catch.

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2009, 12:27 PM »
It's not like a movie or a wedding when showing up late is no big deal...Icefishing is much more important.

Offline lexman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2009, 12:35 PM »
now I know why I like this site so much.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2009, 03:30 PM »
Yup...I'm a natural early riser...as in "Naturally, I had to work construction, go to college, and other things that get you up in the dark".  There are no such things as "morning people".  It is a choice...unfortunately, I think I have whittled my friend base down to a few people..one is a cattle farmer.  Yeah...he gets up early.

Here a few of my favorites:

-Took off with a guy meeting up at a diner in Des Moines Iowa in the early 90's.  I said "7AM in the lot...7:15 we roll...if I'm the only one there, I'm the only one going I guess.  That is why I insist on getting deposits from people prior to trips that I drive on.  It would seem that leaving with only 2 people is going to make everything more expensive...cept my deposits are non-refundable...so in the end, you helped pay for my trip.

-  Pheasant hunting - 1999 and 2002 - no cell service then in N.E. Nebraska.  Both years saw a group of 6 turn into a group of 4.  $100 out of state license...spendy way to sit and play pool in brush pants. Mind you these rules were emailed to people.  You are in charge of getting to the truck by 5 AM...I will drive, provide dog, field lunch, etc.  We had leftovers and great hunting that day..sunday birds were more flighty...weird huh.

- Ice fishing end of last year - missed the 4-wheeler ride to the reef...I shut off cell phone till noon (another rule)   Long walk for 15 minutes more sleep.

Yup...I do a lot alone now.  Sucks somedays...but there is the option of sitting at a ramp, drinking coffee and watching the clock.  And you normally wait alone for these inconsiderate jerks....so what the heck is the difference?   These are the people that flunked out of college, lost jobs, show up after the food is cold, etc.  Given the choice of living alone or with these people...I'll go it alone.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline canthookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2009, 03:45 PM »
Ugh, thankfully my fishing buddy is awesome about being on time, coming prepared with his gear and everything.

My rule is this, I'll buy all the equipment, I'll even buy 2 complete sets of tip ups and line them, leader & hook them. I got a new auger, 2 snowmobiles so everyone can play and nobody is FORCED to ride 2-up and can have a toy to play with.

All I ask is that I'm not left doing everything myself. My morning for a trip starts early, I have to make sure everything is going to start AND run, make sure nothing is forgotten, I invested all the money into all of the essentials... I just want help. Don't leave me loading or unloading everything alone, pulling everything out and then stuck drilling holes, then cleaning all the slush out of each hole.

If I bring anyone new out onto the ice, I tell them before hand how great it can be, but I also tell them how much it can brutally SUCK if they aren't dressed right or if the weather goes bad. I also tell them I don't leave the lake no matter what, if they are cold or unhappy, tough crap. You can leave, but someone is coming back to help me load up when my day is over.  :o It's worked so far. I don't mind at all bringing a 1st timer and babysitting them the whole day, showing them how to set the traps, ETC - I like helping and showing people something new, but I don't like doing all the work myself.  :o

I also don't bring anyone in my truck. Bring your own vehicle.
cant hook it! have to be honest!! looking for used underwater camera & older snowmobile in the MA area.

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2009, 03:58 PM »
if your 5 mins late im already 10 mins ahead of you. im just getting my buddy into ice fishing and so far hes hooked. hes always ready and been late 1 time by 2.5 mins and he heard about it.only problem is he has to sit in my fish trap pro w/me and its really only man, man and a half hut but thats not the problem the problem is he talks as much as a woman and throws my game off. Now i pack some duct tape for our trips  ;)

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:15 PM »
Been down that road before.

My brother and I planned and went north for a long weekend. We said the more the marry-er. I sat down and figured all the financials. What it would cost for the entire trip including logging, food (eating in & out), license, beer, fuel, etc. I put together a package deal with a for about $350 each. Ended up only 3 of us went out. My brothers buddy couldn't make it for one reason or another so the three of us went. Stayed in a cottage right on the lake and had a guide and fished three different huts. A lot of fish!!

Anyway, my buddy was lazy-er then lazy. He'd be fine on the ice but when we'd get back to the house he wouldn't help cook, clean up or anything. After dinner he went to bed for 2 hours, woke up and lazed around on the couch. Didn't help clean the fish. Didn't help with breakfast. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

That was his last time with us.

We kind of got even though. You tell me. Were we unfair. When you go North there is a tax you pay that the US citizen gets back. You stop before you come back into the US, show your proof and you getthis tax back (at least you use too). Not sure whatthey call it. Anyway we didn't tell him about it. I said to my bother why should we give it back to him? We did all the work! He didn't do squat and enjoyed the same foods and amenities. It wasn't a big buck we took and split between the two of us but it did give us that feeling of getting even. Was I bad?

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:20 PM »
We leave at 5 am AIS (@$$ in seat).  You aint there im gone, after that you can drive yourself or wait till next time.  Luckily i fish with my dad, his buddy, and my buddy, and nobody has a problem getting out of bed on time!

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:33 PM »
Thats why i love fishing wiht my uncle, we've been icefishing toghether for long enough each trip goes pretty smoothly, we usually leave the same time every morning, night before we say alright im bringin this this and this you bring this this and that...next morning we both have everything ready to go, we get on the ice we have the same routine that gets us set up and fishing in half hour tops...i drill holes while he baits lines, then i drop lines while he sets up the portable, dont get much time on the ice as it is why wast it sitting around waiting for the other guy to show up or get ready
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline gillbuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2009, 01:02 PM »
I have ariend like that so i tell if we are going fishing at 5 to be there at 4:30 and has worked real well for about 10  yrs

Offline ridgerunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2009, 04:37 PM »
My wife wonders why I like being by myself. This is why. Or just meet me there and you can be as late as you want and leave when you want.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2009, 06:48 PM »
I've gotten it down to one buddy who can keep up. 
Have been through many hunting/fishing pals who don't wanna get a move on early.  I leave 'em now, having wasted my time in the past--I have had to tell more than 5 guys that your nagging wife isn't out here with you, so leave your cell phone/pager or other Conveninet to females MALE LOCATOR DEVICE at home, please.  I believe it's no coincidence that these guys marry naggers.  They can't get their crap together in the early a.m. and their mommies probably badgered them as kids and they just never grew out of it.  I also find these guys to do the most complaining/beeyotching about their wives when they go hunting/fishing.  Inevitably, their beeyotch wife leaves a nasty msg on their cell which they insist on checking, thereby ruining their day, and giving them fuel to b***h for the rest of the day---tiring

Once the shanty is out or the hunting spot is established, I'll meet you there

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2009, 10:48 PM »
My buddy is going to be mad because I'm not going to be on time in the morning because I spending half of the night on the computer. ;D ;D ;D
If it ain't broken, you ain't try'in!

Offline bisceglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:09 AM »
i would have left his ass home! i have a hard time getting people out with me, but when plans are made they're made. they aint up leave em' (most of my friend got tired of seeing me get the lunkers shore fishing not one has the ball for the ice,and most quit fishing completely or don't have the time n/e more. i don't even bother asking the to go any more, but i'm young and experienced and they're inexperienced) i got my old man into the ice last year. the only bud i'll make plans w/ now, even though he's bad luck!!!! (we all have our lucky charms out there and bad luck omens.. it's the voodoo of the ice)
all fishermen are liars, except me and you... but i'm not so sure about you

Offline Salmon_Run

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired and enjoying it !!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2009, 03:02 PM »
That guy was way too insiderate and I surly wouldn't invite him on another fishing/hunting trip.

I hate when friends sleep all the way there (unless they worked all night), don't help cook or clean and get way too drunk to fish or hunt.

Not that long ago my buddy and I drove three hours to steelhead fish and we both were sick as dogs and didn't want to disappoint the other so we both "toughed it out" and went with many bathroom breaks along the way.

I only get so many days a year to fish and hunt and want to maximize my time in the woods; not home sleeping or sitting at the bar.

Good luck in your future trips.
Fish hard and live long !!!!!

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2009, 05:50 PM »
The only people that I will take with me are my wife, son, & grand daughters.  They are always ready to go when I am.  My grandson is only 1 1/2 yrs at this point, but I would expect him to be ready next year!!!  Warm shack, lots of grub, and usually good fishing.  I have had similar experiences with friends, in that they are not ready to go when the decided time comes around.  They are the ones to miss out!!!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2009, 05:28 AM »
If I want to fish all day, I go by myself. If I want to turn someone on to fishing, I work with the people I take out. This means going home a little early or other inconveniences. I have fished a few years so I don't need to stay out as long as I use to, its more about being able to go. In other words I have nothing to prove or to gain going out and catching fish, its not just bringing home the pictures, that look the same as the last 10yrs. Its more about the memories and stories that I bring home with me. If I took someone different I WILL have different stories, not the same ole, same ole. Don't think I don't feel your pain about things not going as planned, I have had this happen several times, and besides I like these stories better than the good day out ones.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline snowmold

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2009, 05:35 AM »
i really only have one good fishing budy.   he is always ready on time. we go up north to catch salmon and steelies all the time and no matter how early i want to leave his stuff is always waiting to be loaded even if he did just get home from the bar. like most people have said, give him a 5 minute period and then honk the horn on your way out the drive way.  no point in ruining your fishing day because of some spoiled brat.   fishing is serious business

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2009, 04:32 PM »
I guess I am should say thanks to the ones that have taken me fishing, I have no complaints. I try to be on time and have a good time. Also carry My Own Weight. I either chip in for gas or pay for bait. Something. If not I guess I don't deserve to go. Thanks again.
Gator Nation

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.