Author Topic: Best Fillet Knife??  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Gonefission

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Fillet Knife??
« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:33 AM »
I use a folding rapala and a fixed blade Kershaw they work well but nothing fancy would like to find a better one

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:53 AM »
Love my Wusthof,  I think it's the 7" classic.  Cuts as good as it feels. Have also been a big fan of the 9" Clauss titanium.  Blade stays sharp a long time, good flexibility and easy to use on many different size fish. 
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline Muskypike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:01 PM »
Luv my bubba blade

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:48 PM »
Bubba blade

Offline Perchy23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2017, 02:23 PM »
For the last 30 yrs I used a 6 inch rapala for pan fish....made the move last year to a Mr. twister...the best move Ive ever made .....should have done it years ago.  :)

Offline MNice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2017, 02:54 PM »
I have an old, old fiskar (I think)  probably got it in the 70's.  Not sure if its the best, but it has a plastic sheath with a couple of ceramic sharpeners built right in. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2017, 03:08 PM »
I have a Schrade(spelling) Uncle Henry don't know how much it cost I have had it for 25+ years. I can say that at the time it was probably in the $ 20.00 range. Couldn't have afforded more back then. Nice sturdy blade with a flexible tip. As long as I don't cut through the rib bones it will keep an edge through a limit of pan fish. The guy asked what others use, well that is what I use.
Keep it safe! JDL

I have two of those, very good knives.. I have the steelhead and walleye sizes..

They can still be bought on eBay, make sure it's an older USA made one...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Schrade-USA-mint-box-Uncle-Henry-Walleye-168UH-full-tang-fixed-blade-knife-/201739644346?hash=item2ef89eadba%3Ag%3ArY8AAOSwnHZYRXei&_trkparms=pageci%253A77a6dd2c-df54-11e6-b381-74dbd1806454%257Cparentrq%253Abdb4bd471590a60cb72fe216ffd2191d%257Ciid%253A1

<°)))>{

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2017, 03:31 PM »
The best fillet knife is one that is sharp.  Learn how to sharpen knives properly, and you'll be set for life.

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2017, 03:50 PM »
The best fillet knife is one that is sharp.  Learn how to sharpen knives properly, and you'll be set for life.

What he said!!!!!!!!!!!     But I do love my Cutco knife!

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular

Offline monk38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:16 PM »
I have owned several expensive fillet knives over the years, but somehow I'm always back to the wood handled Rapala knife.  Always get the best fillets with it..... although it may be because I have used that knife for hundreds of fish.  I do think you get a feel for a certain knife after a while....

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #41 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:12 PM »
I have two of those, very good knives.. I have the steelhead and walleye sizes..

They can still be bought on eBay, make sure it's an older USA made one...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Schrade-USA-mint-box-Uncle-Henry-Walleye-168UH-full-tang-fixed-blade-knife-/201739644346?hash=item2ef89eadba%3Ag%3ArY8AAOSwnHZYRXei&_trkparms=pageci%253A77a6dd2c-df54-11e6-b381-74dbd1806454%257Cparentrq%253Abdb4bd471590a60cb72fe216ffd2191d%257Ciid%253A1

<°)))>{
Not sure what mine is. Has a five inch blade. I have a leach lake it is nice and sooo! Pretty! Anyway I use my Uncle Henery for most jobs. I will probably pass it along to one of my grand nephews if I ever get done cleaning gills with it. >:( >:(

Offline Jchively

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:37 PM »
I've got a mister twister electric knife works great on the blue gills I paid 30 for it on Amazon.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 20, 2017, 10:06 PM »
Have had my G 96 knife since 1980. Great knife, better ergonomics than most, good steel also.  The handle finally got water in and froze, splitting the handle.  Still use it on smaller fish. New knife is far out of that $ range made by Knives of Alaska.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #44 on: Jan 20, 2017, 11:09 PM »
Good thread fellas.

I've cleaned more bluegills than some of you had boogers!

I've been using Rapala knives for a long time.  Cheap, easy to sharpen, and the edge will generally last for 25 panfish.  I have 5 of them now.  They funny thing is, is that they are all different.  Some of the blades are way more stiffer than the others.  I prefer the softer blades.  My wife uses them almost daily to make meals for the family.  I try to give her the stiffer blades, because she's always slicing vegetables on the counter, which dulls them easily.  For sharpening them, I use a Presto Eversharp electric knife sharpener.  Very quick to get the edge back, and a steel to fine tune it. 

My wife always sticks the fillet knifes in the dishwasher, which is fine, until some rotating part hits the tip of one of the knifes, and we now have a slight bend in the blade.  For the price I pay for rapala knives, they're hard to beat. 

Might try some of the others mentioned here.  Thanks again for all the info. 

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #45 on: Jan 21, 2017, 10:06 AM »
I had a few of the wooden handeled ones over the years. Good knives! Gave the last one I had to my oldest grand nephew who wanted to start taking care of his own cleaning. He has a ways to go, but likes his knife.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 21, 2017, 10:33 AM »
Main things to look for in a "good" knife IMO...

Blade- High carbon stainless, or better..
Full tang-Knife blade runs the entire length..
Not made in China...

Those leech lake knives look like heirlooms for sure, I don't know if I'd want the sharp top side, you guys like that feature?

Never put any knife you like in a dishwasher!, rinse and dry.. I keep mine rinsed off as I clean..

<°)))>{

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 21, 2017, 11:21 AM »
Main things to look for in a "good" knife IMO...

Blade- High carbon stainless, or better..
Full tang-Knife blade runs the entire length..
Not made in China...

Those leech lake knives look like heirlooms for sure, I don't know if I'd want the sharp top side, you guys like that feature?

Never put any knife you like in a dishwasher!, rinse and dry.. I keep mine rinsed off as I clean..

<°)))>{

MY Leech Lake knife no longer sports that feature.  ;) I did not care for it.    After slicing my finger tips the third time (slow learner) the backside of mine, is about the same as the front edge of a butter knife.  @)

As for made in China,  Things are a bit different in today's world.  Quality products are produced in far more countries today than were available 50 years ago.  Quality is determined by the  specs a product is built too, not the country that it is built in.   
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 21, 2017, 01:44 PM »
My Dexter Russel knives fillet like a dream and hold an edge extremely well.
I've done everything from 14" trout to 100#+ Halibut with them.
The Finnish made Rapalas are pretty good too. But I wont use anything but my Dexter Russels anymore.
I keep a few handy and razor sharp. Then if doing a large batch of fish if it gets the least bit dull I switch knives. Then later when their clean and I have time I sharpen several at once.
I once did 18 Halibut from 15#-50# without sharpening mine and it was still good to go.
With Salmon they tend to dull a bit quicker so if I have 30+ salmon to do I'll keep a few knives handy so as not to have to stop and sharpen.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Pickledpike270

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:46 PM »
I have never had any problem with a good rapala or fiskars fillet knife, used them in restaurants also for fish and cleaning racks of lamb etc.

Offline nocsious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:50 PM »
My Dexter Russel knives fillet like a dream and hold an edge extremely well.
I've done everything from 14" trout to 100#+ Halibut with them.
The Finnish made Rapalas are pretty good too. But I wont use anything but my Dexter Russels anymore.
I keep a few handy and razor sharp. Then if doing a large batch of fish if it gets the least bit dull I switch knives. Then later when their clean and I have time I sharpen several at once.
I once did 18 Halibut from 15#-50# without sharpening mine and it was still good to go.
With Salmon they tend to dull a bit quicker so if I have 30+ salmon to do I'll keep a few knives handy so as not to have to stop and sharpen.

You can't beat Dexter Russel knives in terms of price/quality.  When someone cleans hundreds of fish a day, that's what you usually find in their hand.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:22 PM »
Get a Leech Lake filet knife. Hands down the best of the best.

Offline river_ratt99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 21, 2017, 09:14 PM »
Mora, by far my favorite.

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 21, 2017, 09:31 PM »
I would agree with the recommendation of the Mora. I bought one last year at this time and have cleaned hundreds of fish with it and even processed a few deer with it. It hasn't even been "sharpened" on a stone yet, only strop it on a leather strop with green compound. (KnivesPlus strop for $23 is awesome) Holds an edge very very well, and the handle is very comfortable. By far my favorite knife! I'd have to say the wooden handled 4" blade (I believe?) are a good second place. Used those until I got the Mora, and now most of my knives are Mora's. Quality steel at great prices!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.