Author Topic: Yellow Perch from Cascade  (Read 2166 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yellow Perch from Cascade
« on: Feb 14, 2021, 06:12 PM »
I have no doubt there are big perch in Cascade Lake Idaho where this fish allegedly came from. And I'm not trying to discredit the angler in the photo. But other than being pushed into the camera to make it look bigger, does anyone find the lack of visible hands rather odd? I say the fish photoshopped into the picture as I can't see how he is supporting the fish. One side maybe a hand in the gills but the other side?

What do you think? The only reason I bring this up is a friend says no it's legit.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Yellow Perch from Cascade
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2021, 06:28 PM »
If it is legit, it'd be a new state record from the looks of it.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2021, 06:30 PM »
If it is legit, it'd be a new state record from the looks of it.

The fish could be 13 inches and a pound and a half but holding it close the camera will make it look a lot bigger.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2021, 06:35 PM »
Yep, kinda funny you can't see how it's being held

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2021, 06:48 PM »
Idaho keeps 2 state records, certified weight and catch and release. Yellow Perch is 15.65 length 2.96lbs and 13.25 girth for keep , release is 17 inches long caught 5/5/2018. Fish caught in April will not still have eggs and will be slimmer. Both fish are from Cascade with the first one caught 2/26 2016.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2021, 06:57 PM »
Looks legit to me. It's pretty easy to be conscious about where your fingers are when taking pics of fish and hiding them. I do it, because I like the look of the pictures better, but it definitely makes a fish look bigger with the right angle and not having a couple fingers to really judge how long the fish could be.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2021, 06:57 PM »
Maybe the guy holding it is a "little person".  ;D

Offline GKrzeminski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2021, 07:30 PM »
He IS holding a fish, just not this one!  LOL

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2021, 07:47 PM »
I don't think it's a photoshop, just a guy long-arming a big perch and concealing his hands as best as possible. You can see how his forearms extend toward the camera, plus slivers of his hand, indicating that it's not a 20 inch perch lol

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2021, 08:49 PM »
A 15” perch isn’t that uncommon for that lake. Fish it for a couple days with some friends and you’ll get at least one. Perhaps many more. That photo may be photoshopped but that perch isn’t. Look at the stripes. The number of stripes match up for a big perch like that.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2021, 11:09 PM »
If he really wanted to impress us he could of had a ruler next to the fish or the fish hanging on a scale and he still could have been in the picture.  I have seen this photo before, it has been around the block a few times.  I believe it is fake.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2021, 03:46 AM »
Looks legit to me. It's pretty easy to be conscious about where your fingers are when taking pics of fish and hiding them. I do it, because I like the look of the pictures better, but it definitely makes a fish look bigger with the right angle and not having a couple fingers to really judge how long the fish could be.

But I don't how he can be supporting the fish like that.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2021, 07:25 AM »
Seriously doctored photo to the point of being funny.
BUT tho not as huge as they are trying to depict, it is still a very large perch on its own.  Most perch have 7 lines, pretty standard.  It takes a really large perch to put on that 8th line.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline Fishbones'

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Listen to Slayer.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2021, 07:43 AM »

I say the fish photoshopped into the picture as I can't see how he is supporting the fish. One side maybe a hand in the gills but the other side?

(Image removed from quote.)

I figured it out!  You are right about the one hand in the gills.  The other side, I'm pretty sure the guy is knuckle deep in perch brown-eye!   ;D

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2021, 07:59 AM »
Elbows bent and pinned  to the side of his body. Pretty easy to gestimate how big the fish is by holding your arms and hands the same way. Nothing fake about it at all. Hiding your fingers to take a nice pic on a fish when your aren't rushed to get it back down the hole is pretty easy to do.

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2021, 09:06 AM »
But I don't how he can be supporting the fish like that.

Fingers in the gills on the backside, holding most of the weight. You can see a tiny bit of those fingers in the pic.

Then, support the belly on the back. With such a fat fish that doesn't weight too much it isn't hard to just press your fingertips into the belly while hiding most of your hand from the camera.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2021, 10:14 AM »
Sure makes me want to go fishing.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2021, 10:50 AM »
Legit as in what? It's a real fish? Or a real big fish? No idea it needs to be put on the ground on a bump board.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2021, 07:35 PM »
love it. My kinda photo- :)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.