The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New to the state.  (Read 1162 times)

Offline triplej

• Team IceShanty Regular
New to the state.
« on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Hi yalls, I'm new to the state but not the site. I came from Indiana over the summer moved up here and loving it. As  I look out my kitchen window at the lake I can't help but wonder how the ice is doing.  And as for being new I was wondering what are the main colors yalls use for panfish and perch, I don't care about hotspots or anything I'm sure me and my daughter's can find a few. Just need to know if I should add more color to my lures. I've always used all black or all gold back in Indiana. Any advise would be helpful.

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New to the state.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:15 AM »
Buy all of the colors.  You're likely to do a ton more ice fishing in MN than you did in indiana.  Gills are picky, any given half hour they could change their minds on what they bite. 

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2018, 04:57 PM »
Don't forget to buy really small stuff too!  I rarely use anything bigger than 4 mm. or 1/64 oz.
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline Bacardi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2018, 06:07 PM »
Also I find it helps to have a ultra light rod with 2 lbs test. Half the time my buddies get mad because I'm the only one catching. And that is my secret you would think they would figure it out. Maybe it just gives them more beer drinking time so they don't wanna know lol

Offline triplej

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2018, 06:03 PM »
I'm sitting on the lake now catching everything but what I planned on fishing for.

Offline McFishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2019, 02:42 PM »
I generally got for walleyes more, but when I look for crappies in MN, I like to use small red glow jigs for the night bite and even during the day some. Seems like magic after re-glowing your jig and dropping it back down. Can get a strike quick.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.