Author Topic: best portable ice fishing shanty  (Read 13240 times)

Offline Depeche

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: best portable ice fishing shanty
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:04 PM »

The easiest manner to which I have found is to use Timberlok screws instead of the stock anchors. A cordless drill makes it easy to lock 'em down and use large washers in each eyelet on the base.

One poster with the red house inspired me to buy some of those ratchet straps instead of the stock tie downs. great idea, quick, easy and sturdy.

Tight Lines!!!

Nice timing on this comment.  I received a 6 man hub shanty for the holidays and brought it to Canobie on Sunday with the kids.  The ice anchors that came with it were junk.  I couldn't even get one in, and the meaty part on my palm below my thumb is still bruised from the pressure I was applying!!  Needless to say, we stood in the wind all morning and packed the six man back in the bag.  I did a lot of searches on IS to come up with a solution.  The ice climbing ice screws seem to be the best solution, but at $17 a pop at KTP mutliplied by 6 is a non-starter for me.

5-6" Timberlock screws also came up in the search as well as predrilling the holes for the anchors that came with the shanty.  There was also a discussion about drilling extra holes and rigging a steel pipe or pvc with rope in the center and placing in the hole and having it "catch" sideways to keep the line tight, ractchet style ropes would come in handy with this method.  I intend to try both drill methods this weekend; I'm all set drilling another 6 holes by hand!

Question for Dipsy - have you ever had a problem backing the screws out or having the drill go cold on you and the battery wouldn't respond with enough torque at the end of the day?

Offline IceLunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:44 PM »

Hello;

I have a Shappell DX3000 w/ the built in ski's. Lugs pretty easy and it can strap on top of
my jet sled if I'm really hauling stuff.  I've had it for 3 years and still looks new. It fits two
guys well, three is a bit snug.  A little buddy heater makes the place very comfy.

My only minor nit....  Windows are too high(when sitting) to see your traps.  Maybe a
higher chair would work as i don't plan on growing taller.

As for Tie down, I drill two holes and use some metal pipes that catch the bottom of the ice.
I have anchors, but find them a pain to put in, don't like the idea of bringing a drill out, just
one more thing.

-g
"A bad day of fishing, is better than a good day at work"

Offline J.R.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:47 PM »
Hey Bass For Me ?

May I ask how much $$$$ did you have to pay for the Dx4000 at the end of the season ??? Did you save $$$ ?

Offline shantygal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Spend the extra and get the 4000 .. especially if you plan on having more than 2 people!!!  Plus if you have kids or women that go ice fishing.. we gotta bring everything but the kitchen sink!!!  ;D ;D ;D
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Offline J.R.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:58 PM »
Thanks Shantygal - your always welcome !  ;D

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 28, 2010, 01:42 PM »
Nice timing on this comment.  I received a 6 man hub shanty for the holidays and brought it to Canobie on Sunday with the kids.  The ice anchors that came with it were junk.  I couldn't even get one in, and the meaty part on my palm below my thumb is still bruised from the pressure I was applying!!  Needless to say, we stood in the wind all morning and packed the six man back in the bag.  I did a lot of searches on IS to come up with a solution.  The ice climbing ice screws seem to be the best solution, but at $17 a pop at KTP mutliplied by 6 is a non-starter for me.

5-6" Timberlock screws also came up in the search as well as predrilling the holes for the anchors that came with the shanty.  There was also a discussion about drilling extra holes and rigging a steel pipe or pvc with rope in the center and placing in the hole and having it "catch" sideways to keep the line tight, ractchet style ropes would come in handy with this method.  I intend to try both drill methods this weekend; I'm all set drilling another 6 holes by hand!

Question for Dipsy - have you ever had a problem backing the screws out or having the drill go cold on you and the battery wouldn't respond with enough torque at the end of the day?

Nope, I always carry 2 fully charged batteries and keep 'em in the warmth of the bob house. Use 3-4" washers with the Timberloks and you'll never fly away.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:44 PM »
I like the Shappell's .. if a group of people go and you have the same size you can hook them together for a big ole' shanty shack!  Just be sure to tie them down on a windy day.. I went for a wild ride last year up in Lempster by the wind mills at the Washington derby.  The wind kicked up and needless to say I went for a ride!!!  Two portables strapped together with a heater on each end and me in the middle .. NOT FUN!!!   EEEKKKK :o :o

Yikes! That is not a ride you want to go on! Tie them suckers down. I have used the stick on the end of a rope wedged under the ice in a hole, but only when a power auger was on hand. It works great.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Hey Bass For Me ?

May I ask how much $$$$ did you have to pay for the Dx4000 at the end of the season ??? Did you save $$$ ?

i've got the receipt filed away somewhere...can't remember how much i saved, but i believe it was either 10 or 20% at KTP!  it was the last one in the box - they still had the floor model out.  i believe it was mid february when i bought it...

Offline J.R.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:13 AM »
Thanks Bass For Me ~  I'm not fishing until end of Feb & March so I will be watching KTP ice fishing sale.. I know they clear out ice fishing stuff late winter....

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:34 PM »
last year i had the crawdad out on the water during the second week of march...ice went FAST!

they probably do, but give them a call to be sure...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.