Author Topic: Powerbait Crappie Nibbles?  (Read 1919 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Powerbait Crappie Nibbles?
« on: Oct 20, 2020, 10:13 AM »
I read an article on open water fishing for winter crappie.  The author likes using marabou jigs, but he tips the hook with a Powerbait Crappie Nibble for some added scent attraction. 

I'm curious if anyone has used these before as a way to add scent to other lures?  Normally when I'm ice fishing I'll add a maggot or two to a plastic if I want to add some scent.  But these nibbles would be an interesting alternative...  Anyone with success or failure stories?
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Powerbait Crappie Nibbles?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2020, 11:24 AM »
I have never caught anything with those power nibbles or the like crappie candies.  I must be doing something wrong with it.

Then again, I've caught fish with just the bare metal spoon or a hook and spinner blade so I reckon it would benefit with added scent like as in where I would put a piece of meat.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2020, 04:17 PM »
I have never caught anything with them. I've had some luck with the powerbait liquid scent but nothing crazy. I have gotten bites right after I put it on. IMO, nothing beats live bait and I rarely fish without it any more.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2020, 04:37 PM »
i dont' use them on the ice but i use them in my bait pump during open water and pump them into tube jigs and they catch fish. 

there is a guy here locally who swears by them on the ice.  i've never tried. they seem to get a bit brittle in cold weather. 

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2020, 06:31 PM »
They stain anything they come in contact with as well Never got one fish on one.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2020, 08:50 PM »
Ive taken guite a few winter crappie bank fishing a local reservoir using crappie nibbles on a small tube jig.
I will admit storage can take a bit of commitment.  Once the seal is opened,  they tend to stink up
the place.  I only put a small glass specimen bottle of them in my tackle bag. Brother in law lives on
rough river lake in KY and down there they swear by them.

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2020, 09:21 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Sounds like they might help, but are a pain to deal with.  Reminds me of Gulp.  I think I'll stick with maggots or add a liquid attractant if I want to add some scent.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Steeeeeeeeevee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2020, 12:01 PM »
I've used them for bluegill and they worked just as good as waxies that day. They have an odd smell but after the bottle is closed you can't smell it anymore.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2020, 12:15 PM »
A few years back, I went fishing below one of he big Ohio river dams in Southern Indiana.  It had been a long winter and
most outdoorsmen had full blown cabin fever symptoms.  It was early in the season and the water was still really cold.
The air temp chased 70 and so there were a bunch of guys out fishing.  Out of the 20 or so guys, only 1 was catching fish.
I noticed that every few casts he was dipping his jig into a little jar of thick clear liquid.  When he left I asked what he had
in the jar and answered, "just cod liver oil" go figure

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2020, 02:22 PM »
I have used the yellow and pinks one with some success.  They are in my boat all the time in the spring and summer.  I sometimes forget to put them in my ice bag.  Thanks for the reminder.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2020, 02:47 PM »
I've used the pink with moderate success.  I don't use minnows, so they work as good as can be for me................... I don't have anything to compare it to to say that they are great, so giving a moderate success rating....

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2020, 02:48 PM »
A few years back, I went fishing below one of he big Ohio river dams in Southern Indiana.  It had been a long winter and
most outdoorsmen had full blown cabin fever symptoms.  It was early in the season and the water was still really cold.
The air temp chased 70 and so there were a bunch of guys out fishing.  Out of the 20 or so guys, only 1 was catching fish.
I noticed that every few casts he was dipping his jig into a little jar of thick clear liquid.  When he left I asked what he had
in the jar and answered, "just cod liver oil" go figure

fish on,

rivereddy

Bob Probst Sr said he used to win walleye tournaments by dipping his jigs in the premix

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2020, 09:42 AM »
Ive heard squeezing a little fish oil from a capsul on your bait or jig works great, going to try it this year.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.