Author Topic: How to protect bottom of Fish Trap Guide?  (Read 2049 times)

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
How to protect bottom of Fish Trap Guide?
« on: Jan 01, 2009, 10:58 PM »
I've read some past posts on the runners for the Fish Traps.  They say if your pulling them by hand the runners make it difficult to pull.  I'm wondering if anyone has any pictures or descriptions on what you've used for runners on your Fish Traps?  I won't be pulling it on or across any asphalt so .....Do I even need runners?  I've read  where some have had their Fish Traps for years and don't have any problems whereas I read one post where the guy wore his bottom out in like 2 months??  What was he pulling it on ....concrete?  Either way if I need to protect my Fish Trap Guide....how should I do it so it is still very easy to pull?   On ice anything pulls easy....but what about 12" of snow covered ice?  Thanks for your help.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
Re: How to protect bottom of Fish Trap Guide?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:16 PM »
I was thinking the same.  I'd really like to protect my shanty as best I can, but worried about the drag a runner creates

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:34 PM »
The material that the runners are made from actually have a lower coeffecient of friction than the material that the sled is made of. Because of this they will slide more easily while also protecting the bottom of the sled. It's a win, win situation!!!   :D

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:48 PM »
The material that the runners are made from actually have a lower coeffecient of friction than the material that the sled is made of. Because of this they will slide more easily while also protecting the bottom of the sled. It's a win, win situation!!!   :D

Real nice!! I'm assuming they're a pain to install when you have the sled fully assembled with the canvas and poles attached?? 

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:58 PM »
Is this material new or something?  I've heard not to put their runners on the sleds...but those are past posts and companies update their products all the time improving things as they go.  Just wondering.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2009, 04:45 AM »
The material isn't new. It just help to protect the bottom of the hut. You can also think of it as somewhat of a wear strip.  The runner will wear down over time. The length of time depends on what it's being pulled across. Some guys with pull it across a parking lot to readh the ice. The time it takes to wear also depends on how much weight you have inside of the hut.  The other advantage of using runners on the bottom of the hut is that if you are pulling it with a snowmobile or a quad it will track straighter and not start to fishtail behind the machine.

I installed mine after the hut was assembled and althoguht it would have been easier to do when the tent was not installed there was only a couple of times that a second set of hands was required to help hold the runner or a nut while installing them. I didn't really think that it was much harder or difficult.

fish-boy

Offline boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2009, 05:30 AM »
They will get beat up pretty quick especially if towing with sled or atv . I installed a set of wooden ski,s on mine .That solved the problem

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2009, 06:15 AM »
They will get beat up pretty quick especially if towing with sled or atv . I installed a set of wooden ski,s on mine .That solved the problem
How did you attach your skis ?

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2009, 06:43 AM »
Great topic !, I also have the "Guide" , for the cost of it you really want to do your best to protect it. I also was thinking
of using an old pair of  X -country skis........but was not sure about the deep snow thing or maybe make it so the skis were
removable if needed. Anyone know where I can pick-up a travel cover for it ?

Offline Fisher Pol

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2009, 07:38 AM »
I would also like to hear about x country skiis.  Would they be better than the runners? 

Gander mountain sells the covers.  Not sure if there is one near you or not.

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2009, 07:56 AM »
Take some conduit and bend it into a couple of runners.Then weld four post one front and one back on each ski.Put cross members between the post however high so that they don,t drag in the snow. Set the sled on top when you are traveling, take it off when you are fishing. Real easy to pull even in deep snow and it saves the bottom of your sled. That is what the folks around here are using. Good luck!
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2009, 08:48 AM »
the sleds drag better with the runners, they are pretty much a requirement, i wore through the sled base on my first trap in less than one season, going on 8 seasons now with the runners on bottom.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2009, 09:35 AM »
I have a Yukon and i bought the runners right when i got the sled.. Okay i forgot to put them on first and yea its a little bit of a pain but with 2 people it can be done rather quickly with the sled already put togeather.  Mine pulls much easier than some guys that dont have the runners... Figure you are only dragging 2 pieces of plastic instead of the whole bottom of the sled across the ice..  I think it is alot of cash for two pieces of plastic and some nuts&bolts tho.  Saying that yea i would buy again.. If you have to install with the tent already on, then have another person help you and tilt it forward then unzip the back of the tent and you can just reach your hand in to be able to tighted the bolts without thinking of unscrewing and taking the tent material off of the back.. I just did mine so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.. Good Luck... ;D

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2009, 12:39 PM »
I put UHMW plastic runners on my otter den, 6'' wide by 48'' long. Put two of them on and it was easy to do by myself with my tent already on the sled. Bad part is all our ice is gone so I can't really tell if it's easier to pull?? Although I've heard it is.Here is a tip I saw on another site, if using 1/4 20 bolts, drill the holes in your runners and sled a little smaller than that and when you drive the screws in it will pull it tight. Makes it easier to get all the nuts on.
Paul

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2009, 01:50 PM »
Hi -

I was trying to decide on my first sled/flip-over this year for pulling by hand.  I was concerned about weight, size, and sled design.  What could I pull easily.  After a lot of research on here and other sites I was unsure even some of the smaller flip-overs would be easily pullable a long distance if there was much snow on the ice.

Conduit or old pair of skies seemed most common solutions I came across.

When I found this thread here - http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=88391.msg868588#msg868588 - I was set on the ski approach.  I have an old pair of downhill skis and the set-up in the pictures seemed really workable.  Just waiting for my Otter Medium sled to arrive to get to work.

Hope this link helps.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2009, 01:23 PM »
Do you guys really think that putting skis on the bottom will enable it to slide better?  On ice I can see no real advantage/disadvantage of haveing the skis, but what about heavy snow?  Won't it dig in and be harder to pull vs having the large surface area of the sled glide over the top of the snow?  I can't decide whether to put skis on or not. 
Again, I don't pull behind a sled or atv typically.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2009, 02:53 PM »
Do you guys really think that putting skis on the bottom will enable it to slide better?  On ice I can see no real advantage/disadvantage of haveing the skis, but what about heavy snow?  Won't it dig in and be harder to pull vs having the large surface area of the sled glide over the top of the snow?  I can't decide whether to put skis on or not. 
Again, I don't pull behind a sled or atv typically.

Just spend the 50 bucks and get the ones that are made for it by clam.. I know it is a steep price for 2 pieces of plastic and some nuts and bolts but its really easy to put on and they work great.. I pull my sled everywhere and i love my guards that are on the bottom.. They're expensive for what they are but they are worth it in my opinion.. Why add more crap to the sled instead of just going the easy and simple route.. Yes i think that it does help it pull easier also..  You wont regret your decision.  Great product + less headache+ getting out on the ice quicker = priceless!! :o ;D :tipup:

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2009, 11:00 PM »
The runners made by clam clog up with slush and ice making it hard to pull. Make some runners out of hyfax, its way less expensive and works better as there are no groves to trap ice and snow.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2009, 11:11 PM »
I put a pair of my old cross country skis on my Yukon and it pulls great in deep snow.I counter sunked the screws and put nylon lock nuts and washers on them and have not had any problems with it.

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.