Author Topic: showdown  (Read 1735 times)

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
showdown
« on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:12 AM »
I have a Marcum showdown 5.6 and I don't really need it so I was throwing around the idea of giving it to some young man that can't afford one. Let me hear from everyone and I'll decide a recipient.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Re: showdown
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:15 AM »
I gave mine to my daughter. I didn't really care for it compared to my LX5.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:28 AM »
Very cool of you to do that....

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:22 AM »
I have a Marcum showdown 5.6 and I don't really need it so I was throwing around the idea of giving it to some young ANGLER that can't afford one. Let me hear from everyone and I'll decide a recipient.

I'm sure you meant to include all the young'ns ...my buddies daughter is following in her brother foot steps to be and outdoorsman...uh outdoorperson ...getting into bow hunting ...trail cam set up...the butchering process...loves venison...and camo...ice fishing hasn't been her forte yet though...see does open water fish... the plan is to get her out on the ice this season.

EDIT: that's a pretty neat thing your doing there
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:31 AM »
Cool!!:)

Offline bmahler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:52 AM »

This is my 10 year old daughter, Cora.  She really doesn't get too excited about open water fishing, but she LOVES ice fishing!  She has been checking the weather reports with me to see when the water will FINALLY freeze so we can go out.  I know she would love to have a Showdown to increase her chances of success.  I hope you consider her.  Thanks, and thanks for a great gesture no matter who you choose.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:07 AM »
I'm going to give it 3 weeks for all to chime in and then I would also like to hear from you guys for your suggestions on how to choose the young individual that will receive it. I will then mail it to the lucky little guy or gal.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:16 AM »
I'm going to give it 3 weeks f2or all to chime in and then I would also like to hear from you guys for your suggestions on how to choose the young individual that will receive it. I will then mail it to the lucky little guy or gal.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:23 AM »
this will be an awesome post :thumbsup: :clap:
going to be a real challenge for you to choose Slayer:)

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:24 AM »
 Great gesture.....there is still hope in this day of age.  ;D

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:56 AM »
I would also like to hear from you guys for your suggestions on how to choose the young individual that will receive it. I will then mail it to the lucky little guy or gal.

K.I.S.S  Keep It Simple Slayer....use the post # and pick out of a hat .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kami

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:16 AM »
Would you consider donating it to an organization?

I work at a non-profit called FLYY.
The bulk of the services provieded are experiential and adventure-based therapy work with high-risk teens and young adults in wilderness settings.
Our organzation is based on five basic tennants:

-Community
-Patience and coping
-Personal responsibility
-New perspectives
-Perseverance

It would be so awesome to be able to take kids out on the ice and provide the opportunity to expore the awesome world of ice fishing.
I have gone ice fishing with friends kids, and they always are able to better engage when they have a better idea of what is going on under the ice.
Please consider donating your electronics to a great cause.

You should check out the website at: http://flyyexpeditions.org/

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:23 AM »
An extremely generous idea crappieslayer37!

As for ideas for determining the recipient, while it's totally up to you, here would be my suggestions. If you have any preferences on who gets it (age, location, person vs organization, etc) I'd spell that out. Do you care if it goes to a child just getting started or someone who's been fishing for years?. Once you have your group of people who meet that, I'd simply throw all the names in a hat and let luck decide it. It keeps it simple and sometimes online polls can be 'influenced' by people (more likely to occur when the prize is more valuable).

I'd consider throwing my 3 year old son's name out there but this will be his first year ice fishing so I'm not sure how much use he'd get out of it right now.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:27 AM »
Good job crappieslayer

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:32 AM »
I'm sure you meant to include all the young'ns ...

Really?.. Guys giving something away to help out some kid, and you're giving him crap about not being "politically correct"...  Yikes...

Crappie, good work man. Regardless of who you pick..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:57 AM »
that is the best post i ever read here so far other than those who return lost gear on here!
it must warm your heart to know you can provide such an important tool like that randomly or otherwise.

if i had to chose, i think i would want it to go a place that teaches others how to ice fish for free, knowing it will touch many more lives and give many more souls another reason to stay away from drugs and bad behavior like ice fishing does, for the most part. younger people don't have the resources we all did growing up today or so it seems.
but that's just my thoughts and they aren't important to anyone else.

did the pay it forward topic get this topic started? it would be a tough act to follow for sure.
thanks for doing it!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2016, 12:29 PM »
another reason to stay away from drugs and bad behavior like ice fishing does
Ice fishing is a drug. Gets you addicted pretty easily.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2016, 12:34 PM »
true that, but it's a good drug! different kind of dealers to lol.
there's a song called "love it the drug for me" by huey lewis and the band.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2016, 12:49 PM »
Awesome gesture!

Offline DrewFlu33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2016, 12:51 PM »
Don't have any suggestions of anyone, but had to post just to say what an awesome gesture that is.  You could make some money by selling it, but chose to help a youngster get into the sport instead.  Simply awesome.  :tipup:

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2016, 01:32 PM »
I've got two grandsons that would love to share the showdown.  One's 13 and the other 10.  I let them use mine when I take them, but if they go with their Dad they have none.

Very nice gesture, no matter who you gift them to.

Thank you
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2016, 04:57 PM »
I have given this some thought and have to put the names in a hat and pick as people suggested. I will include all charity based posts as well, as I am all for kids getting the opportunity to get hooked on this sport that were all so passionate about. I encourage all moms, dad's, and grammas and grandpa's that see this and imagine the fun they'll have showing some young person the joys of ice fishing to enter they're names. Throwing around the possibility of only waiting a week or so then picking so they may have there gift by Christmas. 🎅

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2016, 05:11 PM »
i second your last statement, sooner the better for Christmas:)

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2016, 06:42 PM »
Talking to the wife,  we have decided it would be a good idea to carry this on til Friday morning, Dec. 9 before work, and we' ll announce the winner and Saturday will be the ship day. All winner has to do is p.m.me an address and I'll have it shipped out Saturday morning.  ;)

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:51 PM »
While my son is a couple years away, I'd like to toss my name in the hat on behalf of my 8 year old nephew. He enjoys sight fishing well enough but he and his dad don't have a flasher so I figure why not use my entry for him  ;D.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:24 PM »
Wow an amazing thing to do and just before Christmas. I know either 1 of my kids 10 and 7 would love a finder,my wife snd i been thinking about getting a second finder for the kids to share in the pop up,they used a friend of mines spare finder last season really helped them stay intrested in fishing even on slow days

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2016, 08:10 AM »
 Bump

Offline fisher97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2016, 03:20 PM »
I'd love the chance to have it. I'm 19 and starting ice fishing a few years ago, have always wanted something to find the fish under the ice but it's expensive. Me and my two friends all go out and fish all day and night, pretty much as long as we can. We've struggled catching finding fish in the past. None of our parents do it or anything so we're on our own for learning and all that. We just saw some people doing it one day and decided to try it out. It would be awesome if you gave me the chance to win this I know me and my friends would be very thankful. However, even if I don't win, this is awesome that your doing this. Thanks for the opportunity.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2016, 05:02 PM »
We have 6 entries so far. We need more folks that have a young person that you take along with you and watch you catch fish and wish they had a fishfinder to use also to chime in. Figured there would be more people by now. Just shows what an honest bunch of guys we have on here. An amazing (and amazingly addicting) site. ;D

Offline Hungrysportsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2016, 06:28 PM »
I work with a guy who lost a son last year.  His other son is starting to fish more with his dad to never miss an opportunity. I think he could use the showdown to spend more time with his father. I don't have anyone young in my family to pass it along to but I would givery it to him.
Such an awesome thing you are doing!  I wish I could afford to do things like this.
Stay hungry! Like my page on Facebook! Help me grow better so I can help others grow better!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.