Author Topic: ice fishing line  (Read 1279 times)

Bottom bouncer

ice fishing line
« on: Sep 11, 2004, 03:54 PM »
Just picked up two Pflueger Micro-spinning reels, smaller spool than I'm used to, spooled them up with 8lb# line that is same dia. as 6 # ,that I used last year and liked it . Wanted to put lighter line on spare spools say a 6# - 4#. and was concerned about memory in line, want something that stays limp or will not coil up. Whats everyones favorate line. Normally do not go lighter that 8# , lots of large northerns , walleye and ling where we fish walley's and do'nt want to miss those. but thought I could go lighter if fish seemed picky. Thanks for any help. Started tuning up tackle box and checking out the gear, can't wait for the hard water.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ice fishing line
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2004, 04:05 PM »
eyes I use 8lb. crappie and perch 2lb
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2004, 04:47 PM »

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2004, 05:15 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I second the vanish, used it all last year, pike, walleye, ling, perch, not one break off.
I also use Fireline 10/4, cant beat that either. They sell a spray that will take the memory out of your line
when I find it will post it.

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2004, 08:16 AM »
after my first full summer using my baitcaster spooled with spiderwire stealth, i would have to say, that i fully intend on using this line for icefishing....20lb test with 6lb diameter, teflon coated (reduced ice-buildup?) and high abrasion resistant, i can't think of anything better that will handle the northerns,walleye and perch....has to be super for tightlining and slack line fishing....grump 8)

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2004, 01:55 PM »
Jigwiggler: Thats the stuff, does it work?

http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/article-display/799.html

Bottom bouncer

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2004, 04:10 PM »
Thanks,I think I'm going to try the vanish, sounds like a good choice. Is it tough to see on the ice ? I can remember one night, went out put fresh bait on my lines and can remember hearing one on my bobbers hit the door as I was coming in ,  noticed I had drug three of my lines out of the water and into my shack with me , tangled around my leg, funny now but not at the time.   

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2004, 04:25 PM »
Ya been there, done that more times then I want to admit. Night time is the time to put away most of the tackle and have one or two rods going in the shack or besides me outside. Just personal preferance. Vanish, as the name indicates is clear, super clear, you will have the same tangle problems as before, lol. One trick I like to use is keep some electrical tape around and after you set your line in the hole, mark the line with a piece of tape out of the hole, against the snow it is very visable.  Out on the ice I can be out till, 7-8 pm and it gets dark here about 6-630, the bite starts at 4-430.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.