Author Topic: Who's still Ice fishin'??  (Read 7184 times)

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
Re: Who's still Ice fishin'??
« Reply #30 on: Mar 30, 2004, 09:10 AM »
I am not fishing, I am catching! LOL ;D Still out there having fun yet myself. Be careful out there, the ice can change in a hurry this time of year.

Late Ice Gill
Ice Fishing Safety Threads

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #31 on: Mar 30, 2004, 04:22 PM »
Normally, I'd be so very jealous right now of y'all.  But, our soft water fishing down here is hot right now and that will take care of the no ice blues in a hurry. 

In fact, I've had a chance or two to drive 5 hours away and get on some last chance ice but couldn't because of family events scheduled the past two weeks.  I did have enough time for some local 1/2 day trips to our river... Man, it was so good.

So, I'm still jealous, but not feelin' too bad ;)

Good luck y'all, and be safe.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #32 on: Apr 02, 2004, 09:13 AM »
Below freezing nights here. Still hard and on it. ;D

WFDfirefighter

« Reply #33 on: Apr 06, 2004, 07:40 AM »
After a week where temps hit 70 and the ice went bad we are now having night time temps in the teens, but it won't be enough to fix the ice!  Maybe the ice will leave the shore enough to use the canoe.  I wonder...if i put floats on the cros ;Ds legs of the tip up and float them...... ;D

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #34 on: Apr 06, 2004, 07:46 PM »
I have an idea for the open water icefishermen...  How about some of those little inflatable donuts that are used by hemmoroid sufferers used as a "tip-up float?"  You could set your tipup in the middle of the donut and use it as if on the ice?  Soooo what do ya think!?!?  I'll have to give it a try around May, any additional ideas that may help? 
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #35 on: Apr 07, 2004, 07:33 AM »
Yeah thought of that myself Barleydog. In Massachusetts you can use 5 tip-ups but only two lines (poles) in open water. I wonder if you could use 5 tip-ups in open water (which are floating on a tube)? I guess not because in Mass you can not jugg and this would probably be considered jugging.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Apr 07, 2004, 08:08 PM »
i heard that it is illegal to float your tipups on anything but ice so the n why not make a big ice block and float your tipups on that yeah would work for about 10 mins then the 60 degree water would melt your ice  oh well id rather stick with my 2 rods that catch just as much as my 2 jigging sticks and more then my tip ups have ever caught for me   

sorry i just dont use tip ups anymore too much of a mpain and dont produce as good as jigging 
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #37 on: Apr 09, 2004, 10:01 PM »
Replying here from Central NY State. No-one here ice fishing that I know of. Kind'a due to a lack of anymore ice (naturally occuring, not those ice blocks, that is).  :)

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #38 on: Apr 09, 2004, 10:37 PM »
Still 36 plus inches up here.  Lot's of ice but going quick with the recent 50 degree days. 
Fishingking too bad you don't like tip-ups anymore!  It's an art catching fish on them, (or so I think eh!) ;D  Just wish I could jig in 20 below conditions....
TEAM ALASKA

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #39 on: Apr 09, 2004, 11:50 PM »
Good luck up there BarleyDog, or should I say PickerelDog (nice pic). Not many who can still walk on water here in NY State.

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Apr 11, 2004, 09:29 AM »
Big low level lakes getting all mushy around edge. Still hard ice at my high altitude lake. Fishing is real good. 5 rainbows 16-20 inches.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Apr 20, 2004, 12:23 AM »
April 19/ 04: Well I could not get on the ice today. Was very soft and I went thru at shore :( :( :( >:( >:( >:( :( >:( 3 days shy of 6 months.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #42 on: Apr 20, 2004, 08:50 AM »
Well I guess there is a god!  It is unfair that you can ice fish this long anyway >:(  Lucky SOB
I am not worthy Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Apr 21, 2004, 05:56 AM »
Yeah I've been contemplating moving up to the north pole to get a much longer season. Man I love the ice season.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #44 on: Apr 21, 2004, 06:56 AM »
What size extension do you need for your auger to get through the ice cap at the Pole?
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #45 on: Apr 21, 2004, 08:38 PM »
Had to go out today after taking the afternoon off.  24" of ice in the middle, but far less on the edge!  Soft stuff and going fast since it gets dark out at 11 pm and light at 5 am.  Good thing is having 24 hours of daylight! ;D  Bad thing is having 24 hours of blood thirsty skeeters. >:(  Only a couple small salmon and a hammerhandle pike...  Looks like this "may" be the last week for hard water angling. boooooohooooooohoooo but since I started the week of Halloween that makes for a long season eh!
Terry, good to see you didn't drowned! ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.