Author Topic: Identify this fish  (Read 4044 times)

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Identify this fish
« Reply #30 on: Feb 26, 2010, 10:11 AM »

Does anybody have a field guide? Heard of 'em? It's a white perch. Silver bass ARE white bass, just like strawberry bass. Those are local names given to the same fish. White bass and white perch are probably the two most confused small fish that get miss ID'd all the time. There is very little difference appearance wise. The body of the WP is thickest under the first dorsal ray, the WB is thickest between the 1st and 2nd dorsal fin. Put the two next to eachother and you see the coloration and head shape differences. I've caught thousands outta Ibay in NY. That's a white perch..........or a brown trout, or an immature pike, you decide. Buy a field guide, Peterson's are cheap and VERY accurate............

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #31 on: Feb 26, 2010, 10:24 AM »
Well, i've never caught either one, but from looking at the pics and fish id guides online, it sure looks like a white perch to me.

Offline ConesusPikeCatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 26, 2010, 11:06 AM »
look at the dorsal , not a white perch

I see the dorsal.....8 rays and tissue that is connecting both the spiny and soft dorsal fins making it a white perch.

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:54 PM »
It's Pike Bait for sure. What else matters?

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 26, 2010, 11:29 PM »
its a white perch
white bass,striped bass and whipers all have multiple stripes down their sides
 i've gotten thousonds of them in champlain over the years

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 27, 2010, 12:52 AM »
they're  all pike bait
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline gator83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 27, 2010, 05:02 AM »
what "field guide" are you refering to?? strawberry bass,white bass, and white perch are not the same fish,on my side of the state crappie are also called strawberry bass and white perch are called bait

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 27, 2010, 10:06 AM »

Did I not word it correctly, look in A field guide, any. There are no strawberry bass or silver bass listed. That's because those two names are local descriptions of EITHER white perch OR white bass or crappie(yes, I've heard 'em called that). The two species in question are confused for one another often or they are called silver or strawberries.......... ............Amatuers and professionals a like use field guides all the time. The fisheries biologist at FLCC used to bring a pencil, a pad and a field guide on every outing we went on so he could correctly ID anything in question we would shock up. He would also use the info in the guide to help teach all of us the distingushing characteristics of some of the species. That field guide.

Offline hawkeyejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have ice will fish it,flagup,and catch a BIG one
« Reply #38 on: Feb 27, 2010, 05:56 PM »
looks like a white perch too me and yes white bass (silver bass) and white perch are different species
have ice will travel catch a big one

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #39 on: Feb 27, 2010, 06:55 PM »
Just looking at it the dorsal fin alone I would say that it is a white perch. 

Petersons field guide says that one sure way to tell them apart is if there is patches of teeth on their tongues.  white perch have no teeth on the tongues and the white bass have 1-2 patches. 

Also you could of counted the  rays on the anal fins.  9-10 white perch----11-13 for white bass

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.