Author Topic: Spring Trip?  (Read 2346 times)

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spring Trip?
« on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:05 PM »
This sounds like it would be worth checking out. Anyone fished this?
https://ksoutdoors.com/content/download/51037/515697/file/Stockton%20Spring%20Newsletter%203-6-2019

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Spring Trip?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:27 AM »
Went to Cedar Bluff last year end of April.  Got white bass and walleye off the dam. Crappies in the trees. Lots of nice  fish there.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2019, 09:54 AM »
Went to Cedar Bluff last year end of April.  Got white bass and walleye off the dam. Crappies in the trees. Lots of nice  fish there.

You broke your routine last year?   :o  Ain't no fish worth catching in KS.  Mainly trash fish.  Barely worthy of foraging.  :P  The water level at Webster and Kirwin has been coming up in the last 3 years.  Fishing could be good this year, or another year or two down the road. 

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2019, 09:58 AM »
I hit Keith Sebelius reservoir out by Norton last Spring over Mother's Day week about the middle of May. Still maybe a week or two early for the black crappie spawn. Like that whole country, you need to keep an eye on the wind forecast or you might not be able to put on. Beautiful lake and good fishing. Good camping too if you're bringing a rig or Norton has some cheap lodging. Good bait shop in town. But it's a 5 hour haul out of the Springs and I'm shooting for something equivalent closer in this year. Sebelius is a good trip if you can fade the windshield time.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:02 AM »
You broke your routine last year?   :o  Ain't no fish worth catching in KS.  Mainly trash fish.  Barely worthy of foraging.  :P  The water level at Webster and Kirwin has been coming up in the last 3 years.  Fishing could be good this year, or another year or two down the road.

I did thx to Stickbait.  1st evening I caught 50 60 fish. Im an action guy and that was action! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:12 AM »
I did thx to Stickbait.  1st evening I caught 50 60 fish. Im an action guy and that was action! ;D

Evening?  As in after dark?  That would be blasphemy! 

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:22 AM »
Evening?  As in after dark?  That would be blasphemy!

No like 5-8 pm. I need my beauty sleep, ya know! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:29 AM »
Silly question: could a fella expect to catch a few fish out that way in the spring, if he was fishing from shore (like off the dams)?  Or would you say a boat is required?  I might want to make a weekend trip out there, but no boat.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:36 AM »
Silly question: could a fella expect to catch a few fish out that way in the spring, if he was fishing from shore (like off the dams)?  Or would you say a boat is required?  I might want to make a weekend trip out there, but no boat.

We didnt have no boat. Whites and eyes from dam. Need waders for crappies.  A bellyboat or kayak would rule in the trees for those crappies.

If I go back im taking boat or kayak.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:06 AM »
There's a lot of nuthin' between Canon City and any of those Kansas lakes. I think you can do as good in the Ark Valley. Like Slayer says, a kayak or belly boat will get you into the better areas.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:19 AM »
I think you can do as good in the Ark Valley.

Maybe. But the season starts earlier in Kansas and the lakes are large and plentiful.  More bigger better-

5 hrs for me to cedar bluff. Its 4 hrs to Blue or Jmart or Trinny.

And no boat inspections. And no people.  And no traffic. And--- ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:31 AM »
Fishing from shore is fine.  But you may have to deal with some mild combat fishing.  I fished from shore for years.  Even when I had a boat, I rarely took it there.  Alas, I am past my prime years...  I can no longer run on that dam...  And I am no longer the first to the top of the dam.  Old wolves get eaten by the young ones.  Or they take the wimpy way out.  Gonna be one of those filthy, snobby boaters this year.  :P

Blue and JMart are worthy mentions that are almost as far.  For me, it comes down to the camping amenities.  KS > CO in that aspect. 

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:41 AM »
Thanks, guys — great info.  I might give it a go from shore.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2019, 12:45 PM »
The camping is amazing. they have nice clean showers. Fish cleaning stations.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline A0fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2019, 01:10 PM »

The best part about the showers is that you don't need quarters.  It's free.  What kind of sadistic people would come up with the scheme that campers should be nickel and dimed to take a shower?  Who the hell thinks about bringing quarters on camping trips?  Charge me a dollar more for camping, or whatever the right amount is, and call it a day. 

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2019, 01:51 PM »
You got that right.  Clean, groomed and maintained to a fare thee well. Puts Colorado State parks to a hissing shame. How's all that stuff funded? They have more money than us or just different priorities?
The Valley fisheries may be butt ugly but they're about 2-1/2 hours from my place. Better than the long haul for that town in Egypt.
                                                               Stinky

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:48 PM »
You got that right.  Clean, groomed and maintained to a fare thee well. Puts Colorado State parks to a hissing shame. How's all that stuff funded? They have more money than us or just different priorities?
The Valley fisheries may be butt ugly but they're about 2-1/2 hours from my place. Better than the long haul for that town in Egypt.
Not sure where they get the money since they don’t sell mmj, but their campgrounds are way better and so are their roads. You can tell the difference as soon as you cross the state line on hwy 50.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2019, 09:17 PM »
There's a lot of values out there on them plains.  Sadly some of those towns seem to be dying out.  I think you can buy a decent house in Stockton for like $20000 or something.  We used to hunt birds out there.  Some local had bought a two story commercial building in the heart of town and right on the main drag...just so he had room to set up his toy trains.  His old lady hustled us in while we were walking by to show us his train setup.  No lie. 

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2019, 08:16 AM »
There's a lot of values out there on them plains.  Sadly some of those towns seem to be dying out.  I think you can buy a decent house in Stockton for like $20000 or something.  We used to hunt birds out there.  Some local had bought a two story commercial building in the heart of town and right on the main drag...just so he had room to set up his toy trains.  His old lady hustled us in while we were walking by to show us his train setup.  No lie. 
I agree with you. In general, I like those people even if they are egg suckin' weasels taking all our hard earned water through adjudicated trickery.. Used to work summers out at Cheyenne Wells doing dry land farming on one of those little farms you see off in the distance. Tough way to make a living though and you can see why the towns are mostly just old farm widows and a John Deere dealership, an elevator and a water tower and a DQ out on the highway.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2019, 03:39 PM »
Bird hunted around all those lakes. Webster and Wilson were pretty big if I remember correct

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2019, 03:47 PM »
U crack me up Stinky!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.