Author Topic: multi-hook knots  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Slappy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gettin' jiggy with it!
multi-hook knots
« on: Jan 17, 2007, 06:04 PM »
I'm looking to try out a hooked minnow at the end of my line with a small fly about 12" up the line on a 8" line. How is it best to tie this "leader" line to my main line? Am I forced to use a swivel or can I safely tie together some other way?

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: multi-hook knots
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2007, 10:58 AM »
i've been trying to figure that out too.
for open water perch fishing my buddy and i use two 1/32 oz hair jigs tied directly to the main line about 12-18" apart, with about 3/4 oz weight  18" below them on the bottom (we fish deep)
he ties a plain overhand knot where he wants the top jig, slides the jig over it, and ties another overhand knot through the jig eye. you then slide the jig down to the first knot, which stops the jig in place. repeat for jig 2.

it works,but weakens the line a bit. we're only fishing for perch, so it doesn't much matter.
 i use lighter line, and rig mine with a clinch knot to the main line, and a dropper with a clinch knot to jig 2, and a clinch knot to the dropper with the weight on it. thats 4 clinch knots. i rig it that way at home, but if i break off while fishing i re-rig with  the first method, as its a lot quicker and easier in a boat.

i've tried "bear paws", three way swivels, tieing a dropper on a two way swivel, etc., ect.,but they all get tangled and twisted. tieing right to the main line is the way to go, it saves alot of hassle.
 i'm not completly happy with the way we do it, but it does work.
if you find something that works better let me know.
good luck!
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2007, 12:24 PM »
I'm looking to try out a hooked minnow at the end of my line with a small fly about 12" up the line on a 8" line. How is it best to tie this "leader" line to my main line? Am I forced to use a swivel or can I safely tie together some other way?
  Check out this site.   animatedknots.com  it may help.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2007, 02:08 PM »
Tie the top hook with a polamar knot then run the line through the eye of that hook down to the bottom tie on the second hook It'll make the top hook stand straight out It is what I use for drop shotting Bass it should work you may need some weight between the hooks thou!! There is a picture of it in Bass Master if i get time later I'll look for it and post a pic or give ya a link
Chad

Offline jiggingshad11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:10 AM »
I use a Dropper Knot on my heavier main line and a Palmar Knot to tie my dropper.  Here is a website to a Excellent Knot Page    www.animatedknots.com    click on Fishing Knots-----Hope it helps

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:33 AM »
anyone try those bearpaws snap on's that allow you to attached and remove a dropper rig to your line without cutting excess line. I bough a pack this off season but have yet to use them, they look like they will save time and effort

Offline Slappy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gettin' jiggy with it!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:19 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I'm trying to find a way to get my top hook to be off the main line about 4-6". Everything I'm seeing is tying the hook directly to the main line so it sticks out at 90 degrees. I'm wanting to put a light wait fly on it to float around, so I can't tie the hook directly to the main line. Any thoughts? I'm hesitant to use a swivel for fear it will tangle up. Some sort of basic round loop might work, but I can't find any.

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2007, 01:19 PM »
tie a blood knot w/ a long tag end. use the tag as the dropper. most solid thing i have found yet.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2007, 01:23 PM »
That outta work fine worried about it tangling right up with the mai line though they make a crappie rig for this it is a piece of wire about 4" long then tie a dropper ting 3-4" to the wire this keeps the top hook from wrapping up

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2007, 02:57 PM »
anyone try those bearpaws snap on's that allow you to attached and remove a dropper rig to your line without cutting excess line. I bough a pack this off season but have yet to use them, they look like they will save time and effort

I have used them for perch fishing in lake erie,I found they didnt save time because when i used them i had a heck of a time getting them back apart to change depth.  Let me know how you make out??? :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline ChrisinSTJVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:07 PM »
I can't tell you the name of the knots to use but for the top hook I just use a piece of like 20 lb test and it is stiff enough to hold the top hook straight out from the main line and usually doesn't tangle up.Whatever is on the top hook jigs nicely from this setup.Really haven't used double hooks for a few years and think I have just as good luck.It is quite a fight with doubles and the perch are on the bite.

Offline bradh86

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline bbmonkey

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline IceReaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Psalm 27
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:18 PM »
The most probable offer I can suggest is a loop created by the main-line...it's a technique I use during winter and summer to suspend my hook above the weeds.  I'll attempt to describe the knot...

First, slide the main line through the eye of the top jig/fly and slide the hook up to the desired height...then slide it up further another 4-6 inches...depending how much of a loop you want.

Second, holding the jig/fly in one hand...take BOTH the top and bottom portions of the main line and make an overhand loop...do not tighten the knot until you've created the size loop you want the hook to hang from...then pull the loop at the same time as the mainline to tighten the knot.

Finally, make another overhand knot with the main line and tighten it on top of the first overhand knot...try to tighten the second knot exactly on the first one...otherwise...if you have to slide it down the main line you will weaken it...it's very obvious if you've done this...the line gets lots of kinks.

Hope this helps...good luck!!

Offline MuskyHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Time to play the game!"
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2007, 05:06 AM »
Just want to say thanks for this thread! I've been learning the how to's of jigging and needed this info on multi-hook knots! Thanks :tipup:
Eddie D.      NYRC member 

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2007, 12:58 PM »
To rig multiple hooks to the main line I just tie large dropper loops in the main line (how big a loop depends on how far you want the jig to stay off the main line), then cut one leg of the loop near the line, leaving a long "tag" end to tie your fly or jig to.  The dropper loop knot does not significantly weaken the line, as would be the case with an overhand knot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.