Author Topic: Size 14 or smaller jigs  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Duves

• IceShanty Rookie
Size 14 or smaller jigs
« on: Dec 14, 2006, 07:57 AM »
I have never used a jig this small, but i did buy 1 last night.  Seeing they are so bloody small do you still put an entire wax worm, wiggler or moussie on them???

Offline Fishin Medic

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Size 14 or smaller jigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2006, 11:36 AM »
When I down size to a 14 or 16 ice jig I like one maybe two spikes. I usually only go that small when the fish have been really pressured or a front has made them really negative. I fish these super slow lifting the rod painstakenly slow with log hesitations.

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2006, 03:14 PM »
I've used 14's for years.  Just hook the spike or what ever by the end and let it hang. 
Shut up and fish.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:50 AM »
I like the little plastic tails for hooks under a 12.  I've actually done better with them in general this year through the holes than i have with live bait in general.  Bonus is, they last much longer on the hooks, and at home :)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2007, 02:14 PM »
i fish a 16? marmooska (not the ones you tie through a hole)that slays them! its tiny, holds horizontal, and they just suck it rite in. it really seams to hook good to.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2008, 09:23 PM »
Start with a 14 or 16, Marmish, Wolfram, Diamond Jig or 'gill pill. Small and heavy, like to avoid split shot, darn dinks like to attack them when the big boys are finicky. If there smashing baits I'll go 12 or 10. Agree in plastics seeming to work better for some reason or half a PowerBait Micro on a 20. Not fond of going to the 20 but it's saved the day many times with decent fish when even a 16 was refused.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.