Author Topic: Jigging with artifitial flies?  (Read 3056 times)

Offline tunein36

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jigging with artifitial flies?
« on: Jan 18, 2006, 08:46 PM »
A friend of mine at work ties flies for fishing in the Summer and was curious if I wanted him to tie me some to try ice fishing. He brought a couple in that he made using the small jigs for bluegill and such and tied on the fly stuff. I think they look pretty awesome and am going to try them, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried similar stuff before?

Thanks

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
Re: Jigging with artifitial flies?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:27 PM »
Last winter perch fishing, I tied a small trout fly, like a black gnat on a short leader off the main line, about 10" above an 1/8 oz jig baited with 1/2 a salted minnow.  The perch only hit the jig.  Maybe if I'd used a fly that looked more like a minnow, or something that lives in the water it would have been better, so this may not be a fair test.  Or maybe tied the fly beneath the jig, or dipped it in the minnow juice, I don't know.  Let us know how you do!
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:57 PM »
Hi. Tunein....
 There is a method for using flies that is called tight lining which uses weighted flies and 2 or 4 lb. test golden stren. which is wrapped around pins or pegs on the rod handle which causes the line to kink.

The idea is to imitate the insects that panfish feed on and using the kinks in the line as bite indicators.A man named Larry Stanley from Indiana uses this method exclusively and out fishes everyone around.
 I have several copies of articles on this method and I have your e-mail address and will try to scan them and send them to you tomorrow.
 Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:05 PM »
Ive been known to use small black ants and beadheaded caddis flies on the ice and have had good luck with both types. I tried a couple of  different  scuds (freshwater shrimp) flies will little success maybe they will work later on i nthe year who knows :) they are deff worth a try though tipped with one maggot.
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2006, 05:28 AM »
When the bite is tough and they just sniff at the jig i will send a fly down. I use the jig with some flash at the bottom and 1 or 1&1/2 ft.above that a bare (or 1 spike on) black fly.
Try it you'll like it.

Offline biggvinn2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish or go home
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2006, 06:35 AM »
I tie all my own flies, and a friend showed me how to tie a particular ice fly. They happen to work very well, and I can make an abundance in a evening. Sometimes I dont take my jigs with me, just a bunch of ice flies and some mousees.
Women love me , fish fear me!!!!!!

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:32 AM »
I tie all my own flies, and a friend showed me how to tie a particular ice fly. They happen to work very well, and I can make an abundance in a evening. Sometimes I dont take my jigs with me, just a bunch of ice flies and some mousees.
do you have a pic of the ice fly?

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline hbs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:34 AM »
but I was wondering if anyone else has tried similar stuff before?

I've had some success using a #12 Bead Head Hare's Ear with about 8-10 wraps of lead under the body for extra weight.  I never thought of it before, but now I'm wondering how a heavily weighted crayfish pattern might work.  Just might have to give that a try...

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2006, 11:23 AM »
Mayfly nymphs, scuds, ants, gnats and even wet flies will take fish through the ice.  I also tightline using the Stren but don't kink my line, I just watch the line intently, any movement and I set.  My favorite fly on my lakes is a scud, but a bead head hares ear is also hard to beat.  Experiment with different sizes too, because on some lakes the fish might actually prefer bigger presentations and on others a tiny fly works best.  I bring two tightline rigs out with me, one with a small fly and another with a larger one.  All I can say is that I've caught mostly bluegills on the flies, but have also caught some perch, crappie, golden shiners and largemouth as well.  It's a great rig for the mid day jigging blues when your other stuff doesn't seem to draw strikes.  5, 12, or 15 extra bluegills that you wouldn't have normally caught can bring your daily numbers up from OK to good!  I don't tip my flies with bait and prefer using other rigs for that just because the fly doesn't get the right action when jigged IMO, but that's my preference.

Now, there are no set rules for ice fishing, and if there are the fish are the ones who make them.  You just might tie a fly of your own creation that could out produce anything for sale to the public!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2006, 12:21 PM »
I have good luck with crappie and bass on a Mickey Finn.....billditrite can attest to that ;)

Offline biggvinn2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish or go home
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2006, 10:52 AM »

Offline biggvinn2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish or go home
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2006, 10:54 AM »
Hope that pic helps

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2006, 12:39 PM »
I use a bunch of flies for trout and perch...
leech patterns(olive,black,brown)scuds,chironimids,pretty much any staple food for trout or perch.
Some of the leech patterns i tie work better than bait  ;D

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2006, 01:49 PM »
Scuds mostly. Anchor them about 2" off bottom

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline scott14580

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2006, 02:12 PM »
 I'll use a fly tied directly on the main line about 1' above a sinker or heavy jig. Should I use a 1-2" tag line instead?
 Scott

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2006, 02:33 PM »
Like Pheasant-Tail nymphs tied on  1/64 to 1/100 oz jig heads with a #14 scud, Hares-Ear, PT or chironomid 6"-8" above tied directly on the tippet. Good year round but a killer during last ice. Most often use a regular horizontal jig on bottom with the fly above, for color/flash enticement. Ever notice fish hitting a small sinker? Believe they think it's a small chironomid.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:06 PM »

The picture of the red and green ice fly looks like the ones that Larry Stanley ties where he uses 2 colors and weaves them to make them look like a segmented insect.
 He likes brown and black for gills and he also ties one which he calls a flash back I think ,which is a strip of flashbou laid on top of the 2 tone and secured at each end.
 The lakes that he fishes in Indiana are shallow and he likes to fish in the channels which are 5-10 ft deep using the colored stren with the kinks which he watches as a strike indicator. It takes practice but it definitely works once you get the hang of it.
 Win 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.