Author Topic: Green Bombs  (Read 15552 times)

Offline FishinBill

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Green Bombs
« Reply #60 on: Jan 08, 2013, 10:35 PM »
Have never done this, have a big heater with big tank but just thinking. If you put a balloon over the top wouldn't show if it was leaking or not for safety?

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:30 AM »
Have never done this, have a big heater with big tank but just thinking. If you put a balloon over the top wouldn't show if it was leaking or not for safety?

You would have to have a big leak for that to work and you would see and hear it if the leak was that bad; soapy water is the best way.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #62 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:19 AM »
I don't refill one pounders, but I have a 40# tank with a dual (liquid/vapor) valve and I would imagine it would work well for this since I wouldn't have to invert the tank. Anyone ever tried doing it this way?
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #63 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:22 AM »
I don't refill one pounders, but I have a 40# tank with a dual (liquid/vapor) valve and I would imagine it would work well for this since I wouldn't have to invert the tank. Anyone ever tried doing it this way?
What would be the purpose of a valve that would allow you to remove liquid propane, other than to fill another tank?  The only variable is whether you fill 20 lbers, 10 lbers, 5 lbers, or 1 lbers.
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #64 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:40 AM »
It was used on a machine which has a propane vaporizer on the engine which required a liquid propane.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #65 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:46 PM »
It was used on a machine which has a propane vaporizer on the engine which required a liquid propane.

So, how did that thing ever work without blowing up?  J/K   ???

People fill their gas tank on their vehicles.  They fill Jerry Cans and transport fuel to their homes and garages.  They mix oil in the cans.  And they fill lawnmowers, snow blowers, augers, chainsaws, etc.  They get their propane filled in various sizes of containers and haul them around.  But they don't think it's safe to fill their own?
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #66 on: Jan 09, 2013, 02:41 PM »
So, how did that thing ever work without blowing up?  J/K   ???
lol That's the way the make em. The propane flows through a antifreeze heated vaporizer to the carburetor. Start it on vapor and when it gets up to operating temp switch it to liquid. I used them for over thirty years without blowing up. The tanks had a cover over thim in winter and the fan blew through the radiator into the cover to heat the tanks. http://huntington.craigslist.org/tls/3487028681.html

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:54 PM »

That would work great, I can have a liquid valve added to my 500 gal house LP tank but it would cost around $300.00, it would be nice but not worth it.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Is it really unsafe or is it just The Propain Company don't want you refilling ur 1lb tanks cause they'll loose money.

Big business will do what ever it takes to keep the cash flow coming it. But would they lie about refilling 1lb tanks not safe? I think they would.

I just spent 20 minutes googleing" man hurt 1lb propain tank blew up" and "refilled 1lb propain tank blew up". If it ever happened it would show in a google search. I think its just a line the Gas companies have spread around.

If it really was unsafe companies would not sell adapters to refill with. I have had many tanks leak. Tonight I opened my plastic tub that I had 4 1lb tanks in, when I pulled the lid off I smelt propane gas. These are not refills either. So store bought tanks are not 100% leak proof/safe.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline skowalski250

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 24, 2014, 06:39 PM »
I think you need to check out the general section. Just scroll down from here and check out the house fire that refilling propane tanks is to blame.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:55 PM »
I think it was a case of stupid not the green bombs.for you new to filling them don't do it in your house or around any open flame.and don't pour gas on yourself and play with a lighter.just saying :whistle:

Offline fishin716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:27 PM »
5lb tank is the way to go!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:27 AM »
were you at fishin716 ?are you pulling that 5lb tank a mile through 6-8in of snow by hand?i got to watch every pound getting to old for that poop :flex: :woot:

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:53 AM »
I cant believe something so simple to do and people are worried that it might get into problems.
  I would like to post how to fill your 1lb. tanks but I have done it so many times. Ok,you are not suppose to refill the small 1lb. tanks so don't.Pay $5 apiece for them . There are you happy. You can fill them for 40 to 60 cents. With no danger,do like the directions explain.(DO NOT SMOKE) Do this outside. Stay off the cell phone while you are doing this. Static Electricity.
 Use your head and you will never have a problem.
 You are not suppose to reload ammo either. Shotgun,pistol or rifle. E mail any of the manufactures and ask them if it is ok to shoot reloads in your firearm. NOT, But I have reloaded them all for years with no problem. I just follow the directions. Watch what you are doing. I know a guy that was smoking while reloading,he didn't get hurt,but he runed a lot of his reloading equipment. Well you cant fix stupid.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:55 AM »
I cant believe something so simple to do and people are worried that it might get into problems.
  I would like to post how to fill your 1lb. tanks but I have done it so many times. Ok,you are not suppose to refill the small 1lb. tanks so don't.Pay $5 apiece for them . There are you happy. You can fill them for 40 to 60 cents. With no danger,do like the directions explain.(DO NOT SMOKE) Do this outside. Stay off the cell phone while you are doing this. Static Electricity.
 Use your head and you will never have a problem.
 You are not suppose to reload ammo either. Shotgun,pistol or rifle. E mail any of the manufactures and ask them if it is ok to shoot reloads in your firearm. NOT, But I have reloaded them all for years with no problem. I just follow the directions. Watch what you are doing. I know a guy that was smoking while reloading,he didn't get hurt,but he runed a lot of his reloading equipment. Well you cant fix stupid.
     yeah what he said ;D

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:13 AM »
this gets so old........ta the beginning of every ice season we should just start threads to get them over with........how to refill 1 pound propane tanks......flouro vs wire for pike leaders......vexilar vs marcum.......bait vs plastics.......c+r or harvest?....circle hooks or trebles......the whole thing really can give you a headache ::)

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:18 AM »
sounds like you need to lay down and take a break from IS ron.it is leading to stress that might be bad for your health.i am worried about you dude. ;D :'(

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:15 AM »
The simple fact that the Lawyers and Insurance Company that work with Mr Heater allow them to sell a refill adapter and the fact that you can buy that refill adapter on Amazon and find it in many brick and mortar stores tells me this probably isn't a big deal.

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:50 PM »
you can buy shotguns at walmart too, but that doesnt stop somebody from shooting themself while they r trying to clean it ;D

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Jan 30, 2014, 01:05 PM »
you can buy shotguns at walmart too, but that doesnt stop somebody from shooting themself while they r trying to clean it ;D

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.  Nor shall their right to refill propane cylinders."

touché

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 30, 2014, 01:13 PM »
 ;D :clap: :roflmao: :thumbsup:        I agree....does anyone know where I can get some old empty 1# ers ::) :cookoo: :whistle:

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:00 PM »

I could care less if you blow yourself up to save a buck and the valve goes....If you use that much invest in a 5 lb tank

Yes they are refillable, yes it is legal to refill them, It in takes once for the vavle to fail and go boom....bottom line

I,d like to see prices where you csn get them down to .40c unless your prices are ~30-40% of what they are here for propane....a 1# tank is a still 1# so unless you can somehow get propane for .40c a #  its not that big of a savings so dont try and sell that.

the difference in reloading ammuniton is the same as your Brass.....eventually it will fail...cant use it forever. 

Offline Carl.j.o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:06 PM »
I like to refill my tanks in a horribly ventilated small room with a candle going cigarette in my mouth and while talking on my cell phone.
 Really I refill on my truck bed outside. bring the big tank inside for a bit and leave my emptys in the garage ( it winter time).
My tanks always tare out at one pound or very very close just about every time.
People who blow them self's up lack one main thing. . Common sense.
 I burn upward of 40 pounds during a season like we have going this year in Michigan.
1 dollar a pound versus 3 or 4 or even 5 at a bait shop is enough saving for me to refill as money is tight for many of us.
Let's be honest the dim witted guy at the uhaul isn't anymore able to fill a tank safely then I or most anyone with a lick of sense

FLAG!!!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:18 PM »
I am allowed to transport them legally here no problem

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #84 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:50 PM »
thanks for the share!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:53 PM »

And I wasn't saying some aren't capable of doing this safely....but the containers were not designed to be refilled otherwise valve would be different......the valve is the weak link in it.......the bottle itself I'm sure is rated at least twice the pressure.

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #86 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:00 PM »
To the guys that call them "Little Green Bombs".  Do you have any instances where they blew up?  If they did, would they be any different than a brand new, from the manufacturer, bottle?  Or are they just as safe or unsafe as the new ones.  Are 5 lbers really any safer?  There's more propane to have an issue with in a 5 lber than in a 1 lber.

You asked so here you go

1) Suit alleges defective coupling caused fatal propane fire

2/27/2008 11:00 AM
By Michelle Massey, Texarkana Bureau

K-M Products MacCoupler
MARSHALL -- Gary Wayne Suggs, 51, was attempting to refill a propane container in a fifth-wheel trailer when a flash fire occurred, causing fatal injuries.

Gary's father, Billy Ray Suggs, alleges a defective coupling caused his son's death.

Billy Ray Suggs, individually and as estate representative, filed a product liability suit against K-M Products Inc. on Feb 25, 2008 in the Marshall Division of the Eastern District of Texas.

According to the original complaint, the deceased was attempting to refill a DOT-39, 1.02-pound propane cylinder from a 40-pound propane cylinder using a MacCoupler.

According to the K-M Products web site, the MacCoupler is the company's chief product, which it has been making for more than 20 years. It is used to fill 1 pound refillable propane cylinders with any 20 to 40 pound propane tank.
(note:states for refillable not non-refillable )
"It's easy and cost effective," the web site states. "Made of solid brass, the MacCoupler will last a lifetime and is a welcome addition to anyones camping gear, tool chest, or their RV or camper."

The web site includes downloadable instructions for proper use of the MacCoupler.

The plaintiff alleges K-M Products Inc. is liable because the coupler did not have sufficient, appropriate or securely affixed proper warning labels. Further, the plaintiff argues the defendant failed to use proper materials for the coupler and failed to adequately test or inspect the product and its components. The complaint states that the defendant knew the coupler was defectively designed and manufactured.

Suggs believes K-M Products is guilt of gross negligence and argues the company's conduct was heedless, reckless and with a conscious indifference to the welfare and safety of his son.

The plaintiff is seeking wrongful death damages for emotional pain, grief, and sorrow, and pecuniary losses including loss of care, maintenance, support, services, advice, counseling and losses by virtue of the destruction of the parent-child relationship. On behalf of the deceased, the plaintiff is seeking damages for pain and suffering, funeral and burial expenses.

Tyler attorneys John D. Sloan Jr. and J. Ryan Fowler of the Sloan, Bagley, Hatcher and Perry Law Firm and Kilgore attorney Thomas H. Brown are representing the plaintiff.

Judge T. John Ward is assigned to the litigation.
Barron News Shield   home : news : news : top stories
Polk County woman dies when propane tank explodes
By: Mary Glynn    02/10/2012

2) A 77-year-old Polk County woman was killed Saturday morning when a small propane tank her husband was filling ruptured, igniting an explosion that collapsed the garage of their home around them. The accident happened near the Town of Range, just west of Turtle Lake.

Stanley Johnson and his wife Nancy Johnson were in the garage Saturday morning. He was filling 1-pound propane cylinders from a 20-pound cylinder to take out to the heater in his ice fishing shack, said Captain Steve Smith of the Polk County Sheriff's Department. While being filled, a 1-pound cylinder ruptured, causing a small explosion.

At 9:31 a.m., the emergency call came in, said Captain Smith. The Polk County Sheriff's Department, the Apple River Fire Department, and Turtle Lake Fire Department responded.

Nancy Johnson was pulled from debris, Smith said, and was pronounced dead at the scene by Polk County Medical Examiner Jonn Dinnies.

Stanley Johnson was transported to Amery Regional Hospital for treatment of burns sustained in the explosion, Captain Smith said. He was later airlifted to a burn unit in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area, said a hospital spokeswoman.
©Barron News Shield 2012
 I wish Mr Johnson and his family the best. My heart goes out to them. What a terrible tragedy!

3) Two Illinois men sustained burns in a propane gas explosion and fire in their pickup camper parked off Twin Lakes Road near the former Kateri Resort on Upper Twin Lake on Sunday, May 19, around 10:30 p.m.

The two, Michael Hutchison, 49, and Christopher Smith were transported to Hayward Area Memorial Hospital by a Sawyer County ambulance crew.
Click Here!

Hutchinson was admitted and released. Smith was discharged from the hospital.

After the explosion, Smith came to the nearby residence of Don and Audrey Gedart, told them he was burned and said to call an ambulance. He said that Hutchison was lying on the side of the road. Hutchison had sustained second-degree burns to his face and arms. Smith was less severely burned on a foot and arm.

Sawyer County sheriff's deputies and the Town of Round Lake Fire Department were dispatched to the scene. Eleven firefighters responded and put out the fire using 750 gallons of water and foam.

The pickup camper was a total loss, said Round Lake fire chief Mike Schmidt. The vehicle was parked on a narrow, gated private road leading to the lake.

Hutchison told the Gedarts that he and Smith were inside the camper. They had one gas burner lighted when Hutchison tried to transfer propane from a large cylinder to a smaller cylinder. Suddenly, there was a heavy fog of fumes throughout the room, and the camper was engulfed in flames.

A dog which was tied up outside the camper was singed. An ATV parked in front of the camper was damaged.

They are easy to find just have to look!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #87 on: Feb 08, 2014, 05:35 AM »
Lots of ideas on this thread. Bottom line, good luck to those that insist on refilling.

WS

Offline Carl.j.o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:29 AM »
First sentence of all those instances have one thing in common. They were all inside an enclosed area.
I'm not saying it 100% safe to refill but I bet if those people would have chose the smart thing to do and go out side they probly would have been fine.
FLAG!!!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Feb 08, 2014, 09:18 AM »
like I said before don't do it inside around a open flame!da.guess what would could happen if you refill a 25lb tank from a 100lb tank inside next to a lit fireplace.please no one try this I'm being sarcastic :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.