Author Topic: Help picking flasher  (Read 1356 times)

Offline reit38

• IceShanty Rookie
Help picking flasher
« on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:41 PM »
Thinking about buying a flasher. Don't do alot of ice fishing but thinking about an all season pack. Would like to stay around $200 for a regular flasher. Or go up around 300 on an all season unit is one better then the other or should I stick with strictly an ice fishing unit.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Help picking flasher
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Better up your price point ...most entry level flashers are nearer to the $300 dollar range. I would suggest a unit with zoom ...and low power is nice ..a good solid Vexilar FL18 has those features .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:00 PM »
This was my first weekend with a flasher.  I bought the Hummingbird ice-35 for 300 off amazon (prime).  Watched a few how-tos and was able to mark a fish within 30 mins on the ice.  Very user friendly and tons of fun.  For $200 you most likely will need to go used.  I haven't seen many for sale though which is surprising because guys say theirs last for years.  You would think a few would pop up here and there.   

Offline smokey66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:23 PM »
You're not gonna get much for $200. Fleet Farm has the Vexilar FL-8se for $279. Most places are sold out.  Buy that and it will serve you well for many years if you don't abuse it.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:27 PM »
Garmin Stryker 4 bundle is 169.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:08 PM »
VEXILAR  only unit ever made..use it in your boat
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline reit38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:35 PM »
I'd spend closer to 300 if it was a all season unit

Offline reit38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:58 PM »
How is the garmin striker 4 bundle?

Offline smokey66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:50 PM »
it's not a flasher. Your headline says "help picking flasher"

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:52 PM »
How is the garmin striker 4 bundle?

It's a great unit, has a flasher mode, or graph, GPS, can use it for a boat in the summer, easy to use.

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:35 AM »
Garmin Stryker 4 bundle is 169.

I've had a striker 4 for a few years now and I've had no reason to upgrade. Granted, I regularly fish a super clear lake and mainly sight fish/use an aqua-vu, but the striker 4 has a lot of features including a flasher setting, traditional sonar, and GPS.

Personally, I think the best setting for ice fishing on the striker 4 is using the traditional sonar with the A-scope. You get the best of both worlds with the flasher plus the past data.
Limit your kill - Don't kill your limit!

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:22 AM »
Buy the vex fl8. Easy to use lasts forever.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2019, 09:25 AM »
So many to choose from. Everyone has their own opinions and are gonna tell you their likes and dislikes about what they have. They are going to tell you what to buy. I'm gonna say to look at all the options and choose the one that will fit your fishing style and your budget. One person's plus might be another person's negative. The choice will have to be yours.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:14 AM »
If you have to stay with your price point I don't think I would be scared of the Garmin stryker 4. I have never used one but there was just a lengthy thread in the NY section on here I believe with lots of good info on how to use them and everyone seemed to be very happy with them.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:08 PM »
Vexilar has a fl8 reconditioned for $259. Don’t get scared off by reconditioned many times a person buys the unit and then returns it. To resell they have to list it as reconditioned? Get the normal warranty? That is a good price for a good unit if you are only looking for a entry level flasher. If you want more your going to have to pony up more cash.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:53 PM »
I have a Hummingbird Ice 35 and I LOVE it. Bought it for 280. Check it out. Has zoom on it too.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:03 PM »
find a used ice35 or entry level marcum.   even an fl8 will work.  you can find used ones in the 200 range. 

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:44 PM »
I have a Hummingbird Ice 35 and I LOVE it. Bought it for 280. Check it out. Has zoom on it too.
was out on the ice talked to a guy using the 35 looked like a good unit! Guy was catching some fish!
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.