Author Topic: Major fish kill at Henry's lake...  (Read 6987 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Re: Major fish kill at Henry's lake...
« Reply #60 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:45 AM »
Yes that's what the plan is for the end of February  that's when we figure out is the best time for use to go up and fish with Joe
Damn it; I'll be in Nicaragua and Texas from the 17th until Mar 1.  Would love to be able to make that trip.   :(
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Dec 14, 2016, 12:20 PM »
I'm sad I missed this again,things just didn't work out for me. I ended up in salt lake instead  >:(. I will have to make the gorge trip or the boysen trip this year though both of those are closer for me.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #62 on: Dec 14, 2016, 12:59 PM »
Sounds like the plan is set for the end of February and the waters we will be hitting during the day varying of course up to our host prosepector, home base being at a reservoir for fishing thru the night each evening

I'm sad I missed this again,things just didn't work out for me. I ended up in salt lake instead  >:(. I will have to make the gorge trip or the boysen trip this year though both of those are closer for me.

Next year for sure, maybe we'll catch up with you when we head your way. I'll keep you informed on the plan as it gets closer

Damn it; I'll be in Nicaragua and Texas from the 17th until Mar 1.  Would love to be able to make that trip.   :(

That's a spread for location Bob, I'm guessing you wont be done hitting the hard deck when you leave on that trip with your late season strawberry ice fishing

I say boysen or ocean in Wyoming  with prospector

We'll see where Joe wants to guide us at  ??? Definitely sounds like a few different places but as we all know the ice will dictate it a bit
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #63 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:46 PM »
Wow got my log on straightened out.... thanks Muskie
What a great trip and what a great bunch of ice addicted guys. Can't wait for the next adventure !

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 17, 2016, 01:38 PM »
-34 at my house this morning, figured I better post about the Henry's trip. I had a pretty good trip leaving my house on Wednesday morning. It is always a beautiful drive in the winter time through Yellowstone on the way to Henry's. The first night I stayed at the state park in my tent. I hooked in a nice cutthroat. It was so cold that he did not want to get out of the water and let himself off the hook before frostbite bit his nose. It was a cold experience. The ex-wife kind of cold. My big buddy heater wouldn't lite and then my 5 lb. propane valve was leaking through the packing nut. Luckily I was like a boy scout and came prepared with several different options for every situation. I threw some one pounders in on a whim as I was leaving my shop and they did a good job for me that first night with my regular buddy heater. Once I got the big buddy and propane warmed up they were fine the next few days. The guys told me the next morning that it got down to 24 below that night. No wonder nothing would work right! I was able to use my snowmobile to pack my gear down to the ice which was nice for a fat guy.  I decided not to drive it on the ice until I was with a group for safety sake. The next morning I woke up to a beautiful sunrise and a nice fish on the end of my line. After talking to Chris and Geezer, and learning they were on their way I packed up my camp and moved it over to the Rose. Upon arriving there I ran into Reel Trouble and his wife and friend. They were very hospitable to me and pretty much let me fish right on top of them. Normally I wouldn't fish so close to others, but they were really good folks. It was a pleasure to see Reel Trouble again and to meet his wife, Lisa and his friend, Mr. Haskell. Lisa even made me lunch one afternoon which was very nice, thanks Lisa! The fish were good to me this trip as I was able to have steady action every day. Never did get too hot for me, but it didn't slow down too much either. After a while Chris and Geezer showed up and set up their tents and got situated. I was grateful that they had all made it safely there. The jaw jackers were the ticket on this trip for me. I even bought another one on the way home for next time. Don't tell the wife! Friday morning we got some bad news that Lawrence's alternator went out on the old Ford, major bummer! Turns out they are pretty good mechanics and had that sucker replaced in no time. My cousin Ryan (Woofie), showed up not long after Matt and Lawrence and the crew. As soon as Ryan hit the ice he was in for the fishing trip of a lifetime. He was the Michael Jordan of the rod and reel this trip for sure. Good job Ryan! Sometimes when other guys catch fish like that I just enjoy sitting back and watching them have fun. This time was no exception. Ryan could do no wrong. Every time he moved the lines the fish were very cooperative and he was reeling them in. Out in the bay of the lake we had quite a set up going with a ton of guys and gear, tents everywhere. What a great crew you guys are to fish with. It was good to see everyone again, especially some I hadn't seen for a couple of years. I also had a couple of friends from my younger days show up that were going to come the previous weekend but chose to wait a week so that they could meet up with me on the ice. Thanks to Mike and Dewey for making that happen! It was so good to see you both and I enjoyed your comradery. Friday night was quite an event. I don't drink and I still managed to get a hangover the next morning. I won't go into details on that due to the unwritten rule we share and keep to keep the wives in the dark. I won't talk about blood or what looked to be a crime scene by the end of the night. Suffice it to say the boys had a good time and I for one appreciate you all for letting me let my hair down as well. I am usually not as wild and crazy as what you guys see, I promise. Saturday was another beautiful day. We got a little bit of snow and a breeze that was pretty chilly. I have a niece that is going to school at BYU in Rexburg that wanted to fish with her Uncle Joe. The weather had me nervous, but she was determined to make it happen. I agreed that she could come if she brought her boy toy with her to drive and make sure she was safe. We met at the gas station that morning and picked them up. After arriving back at the lake within 2 minutes a jaw jacker popped and we had a fish on the ice! My whole goal of that day was to get a picture of my "favorite" niece and me holding up a Henry's Lake submarine. After that, all was well in my Zion. What a perfect start to a perfect day. The whole time she was there I was able to whoop and holler the way you guys know that I love to. Ryan and I both made her reel in all of our fish. She did a great job and landed them all like a pro. Another plus to my day was the kids that came over from the camp next to our group. They were a cute bunch and it was fun letting them handle the fish and also getting a nice picture of them and sending it to their dad. My niece had to get back to work at 3:00, so we gave her the boot around noon. Saturday evening was a real treat because Dewey and Mike invited Ryan and me down to their room for dinner. Mike brought up a tri-tip that he smoked on his grill at home. Words cannot describe how good it tasted. I don't know if it was because I was sitting in the cold for three days or if he is just a good cook, but it was spectacular! I spent Saturday night talking about the future Wyoming trip with some of the guys and hit the sack. Sunday morning I decided that I had had my fill of fun and was going to hit the road with everyone else. Initially I had planned on leaving Monday, but there was a break in the weather Sunday and by that time I didn't see my trip getting any better. My goals had all been met except for putting one on the wall. Great trip, great fun and I can't wait to do it again next year, might even have to sneak up after Christmas one more time this year! I was glad to hear that everybody made it home safe and would like to wish you guys all a Merry Christmas! One a side note, I was able to see Damon, (Mr. Fish Cop) both Friday morning and Saturday afternoon on the ice. Just wanted to give him kudos for being such a professional at what he does. I usually can't stand badges on the ice, as most guys behind them suffer from a disease we have all seen. Not Damon, he has always been great to talk to and fun to be around while still getting his job done in an effective manner. Keep up the good work bud, if you see this! We will see you all next year. Here's few random pics in no particular order.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 17, 2016, 01:50 PM »

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 17, 2016, 01:54 PM »

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #67 on: Dec 18, 2016, 08:46 AM »
Damn, I hate it when I can't make these GTGs.  You guys rock for sure.  Joe, do me a favor - next time you're in Granny's Restaurant and Don Blaylock is there, tell him Bob & Linda Hicks say hi.  Hope to make a trip to Cody this coming summer to see him and another couple that live there.  Maybe even buy you a cup of coffee.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 18, 2016, 09:51 AM »
Damn, I hate it when I can't make these GTGs.  You guys rock for sure.  Joe, do me a favor - next time you're in Granny's Restaurant and Don Blaylock is there, tell him Bob & Linda Hicks say hi.  Hope to make a trip to Cody this coming summer to see him and another couple that live there.  Maybe even buy you a cup of coffee.   ;D
I will make a special trip up to grannies just for you Bob! When is your Cascade trip looking like?

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 19, 2016, 11:51 AM »
I will make a special trip up to grannies just for you Bob! When is your Cascade trip looking like?
We leave for Cascade on January 8 (Sun) and will stay through Jan 14 (Sat).  Not going in February due to conflict with duck/dove shoot in Nicaragua.   ;D  You going to be down our way this season?
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #70 on: Dec 19, 2016, 02:41 PM »
Great story & pics joe, we may have to give that Granny's a try if we have time when we come up, If we have time. Don't know if I want my pole out of the water for to long  ;)
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.