New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Keeping Minnows Alive  (Read 11418 times)

Offline Dave Lud

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Keeping Minnows Alive
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:54 AM »
For about $30.00 I bought a 3 lb. bottle of minnow holding formula by Better Bait, (the stuff that turns the water blue). It removes chlorine (I don't have well water), and the minnows keep fresh for a long time. 3 lbs. is enough to treat 2,400 gallons and they also sell a 12 lb. container, usually sold to bait stores. The number to order is (615) 230-1047. Many bait stores in the area use this stuff on their own bait, but it is hard to find for sale for your personal use.

Offline sinkyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • thin ice is such a rush
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:07 AM »

Remember, in NYS, your only supposed to keep bait for ten days. No need for the old set up of trying to keep a purchased lot for the season should be part of the advice. The two aquaculture guys gave you your best advice Joe, not because of their degree's but, that the advice was simple. When the regs changed my strategy changed with it, no long term need. DON"T feed 'em, they're bait not pets and they'll crap more and you'll have to change the water more to accommodate for it. Long term care calls for the chemicals and the filters etc. Fresh cold water(5 gals from a consistant source) that's well oxygenated(your pump) is your daily(ten at a time) goal........ :tipup:

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 14, 2010, 02:51 PM »

Remember, in NYS, your only supposed to keep bait for ten days. No need for the old set up of trying to keep a purchased lot for the season should be part of the advice. The two aquaculture guys gave you your best advice Joe, not because of their degree's but, that the advice was simple. When the regs changed my strategy changed with it, no long term need. DON"T feed 'em, they're bait not pets and they'll crap more and you'll have to change the water more to accommodate for it. Long term care calls for the chemicals and the filters etc. Fresh cold water(5 gals from a consistant source) that's well oxygenated(your pump) is your daily(ten at a time) goal........ :tipup:

also, the cold temp's slow their metabolism way down, therefore, they don't need food. warm water would speed it up = need for food

Offline Got Ice?

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish, fish to live!! Flag Man!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 14, 2010, 04:11 PM »

Could not put it any better myself, I do use a little better set up for keeping sawbellies alive, they are a little more fragile in my book plus the outside temps are a lot hotter in the summer when I use them.
In these tough times remember the ones who taught you your skills, give them some of your prize!

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:22 PM »
I leave it up to my son to take care of the bait. He does a great job by just keeping the air on 24/7 and changing the water. We have well water so no need to add anything to it. Seldom loose any. Even the ones that have been hooked stay good. Keep them in an insulated bucket in the basement.

Offline sinkyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • thin ice is such a rush
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:38 PM »

get a life, with the rate of unemployment and price of bait. some of us need to keep our bait alive even if it goes god forbid over 10 days......... you need to relax .....

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:00 PM »
I maintain and sell fish and other aquatics for a living for shiners colder is better and more areation is better for all fish.  I'm an aquarium nut so I have a 55 gallon and an oversized filter I used to keep up to 3 dozen large pike shiners at a time in it but than last year a got a mud puppy as a pet that now lives in the tank in the basement I still put pike minnows in there but he eats them long before I get out again I put about 6 pike 10 bass and 1 1/2 dozen niagras in there on sunday I'm down to one pike 4 bass and maybe a 1/2 dozen shiners. damn things arnt supposed to eat that much shes gone as much as 3 weeks without food.  fun to watch will swallow the minnows sideways if thats how she catches them has to break them in half to do it.
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline masshysteria

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Taking my Grandson fishing!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:13 PM »
My wife is great she lets me keep my bait bucket in our sink I leave the cold water on so it will drip down every few seconds I have not found a better method yet I have had some shinners that have been used twice and bought 3 weeks ago and have not had 1 dead one yet.

lucky guy........ does she have a sister? ::)
Tom

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:32 PM »
man sounds like you guys go threw a lot of trouble. I have my bait in a 6 gallon bucket when im fishing. i take that same bucket downstairs into my basement appt and put it in the corner. I throw the areator in it with a stone and i dont touch it again untill the next weekend when im going out again. i dont change the water, i dont feed them, i dont keep them really cold. havnt lost one yet. wiggle worm must just have some really strong bait.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:43 PM »
    get a life, with the rate of unemployment and price of bait. some of us need to keep our bait alive even if it goes god forbid over 10 days......... you need to relax .....

Need?? I hope you get caught! Remember, the price of a ticket will buy lots of fresh, LEGAL bait.
Pete Lewis

Offline SpEeD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker Alert!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:04 PM »
man sounds like you guys go threw a lot of trouble. I have my bait in a 6 gallon bucket when im fishing. i take that same bucket downstairs into my basement appt and put it in the corner. I throw the areator in it with a stone and i dont touch it again untill the next weekend when im going out again. i dont change the water, i dont feed them, i dont keep them really cold. havnt lost one yet. wiggle worm must just have some really strong bait.

I do the same leaving the CERTIFIED minnows in a 6 gallon bucket,an aerator,no food,using straight up tap water and the hardy CERTIFIED pike minnows just keep on kicking even with holes in there back from previous use  :flex:
Lurking for those hot-spots!  Gut any???

Offline jigewidit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:15 PM »
1st post. Just wondering if anyone has used a battery opertated aerator? seen one @ harbor freight for $6 ...wonder if its worth it. I'll pick one up tp try and post if its anygood :tipup:

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:28 PM »
I do the same leaving the CERTIFIED minnows in a 6 gallon bucket,an aerator,no food,using straight up tap water and the hardy CERTIFIED pike minnows just keep on kicking even with holes in there back from previous use  :flex:

haha mine have holes in the back too. and sinkyfish i agree its pretty lame that we have to go threw all of this with our bait. but some of us follow the rules wether we agree with them or not. but hey be part of the club that does whatever they want and sooner or later we wont be able to fish with like bait at all. then youll have more to complain about.

Offline callduckfarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:33 PM »
I just keep mine in tap water in 5 gallon buckets in the basement.
I use an aquarium aereator, and change the water about every 3 days, which is about how
often I go fishing.
I can usually get 3 hook holes thru their backs before they die, or the certification
runs out.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:24 PM »
Remember, in NYS, your only supposed to keep bait for ten days. No need for the old set up of trying to keep a purchased lot for the season should be part of the advice. The two aquaculture guys gave you your best advice Joe, not because of their degree's but, that the advice was simple. When the regs changed my strategy changed with it, no long term need. DON"T feed 'em, they're bait not pets and they'll crap more and you'll have to change the water more to accommodate for it. Long term care calls for the chemicals and the filters etc. Fresh cold water(5 gals from a consistant source) that's well oxygenated(your pump) is your daily(ten at a time) goal........
Amen, brother!  I am just looking to keep them alive for two weekends with the least amount of effort possible, not looking to make Club Med for them.  Bait is cheap, heck I probably spend more on gas than the bait!

I just got the $10 aerotor and put it in my bucket.  I changed the water once, just because I had a few die (these were the ones I had on the hook this weekend).  They looks pretty healthy and lively.  So not planning on doing anymore.

I see that some of the replies were from out-of-staters, and those guys probably don't have our regs to deal with.  Lucky for them!  I agree, it ain't worth getting a big ticket to save a few bucks.

Thanks to all for the advice!

Offline flipper358

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:23 PM »
1st post. Just wondering if anyone has used a battery opertated aerator? seen one @ harbor freight for $6 ...wonder if its worth it. I'll pick one up tp try and post if its anygood :tipup:
I have used a cheap aerator that uses a d battery and works great.

Offline Sandman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #46 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:07 PM »
you need to relax and get a life stinkfinger
De Opresso Liber
5th Special Forces Airborne..Mobil Launch Team 5
Vietnam

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 15, 2010, 04:45 AM »
I've had the best luck with Drinking water coolers. I had some 2 gallon red and white igloo brand. No aerator, no food, not even changing water. The bait shop should be using stress coat(blue water). The coolers keep the water at a even temp. From the bait shop to the ice, and then to the house. I was throwing out bait all the time last year(7 day receipt rule) and find this season I have had to with the ten day as well.

Offline Got Ice?

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish, fish to live!! Flag Man!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 15, 2010, 06:44 AM »
I don't know if I would say wiggle worm has strong bait, but my guess well taken care of bait before you by it.
In these tough times remember the ones who taught you your skills, give them some of your prize!

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:37 AM »
why have you had bad results with wigglys bait. im only 25 wich i know in the world of fishing is a baby but, iv been going on htere sense i was to small to see over the counter. iv never got a bad batch in all those years. not to mention he doesnt do what some of these guys do and count the bait out one by one. takes a scoop and dumps it in, iv never gone there and bought a couple dozen and not get and extra dozen out of the deal. hey maybe he likes me i dont know but id drop a good word for him anywhere i could.

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #50 on: Jan 15, 2010, 12:44 PM »
I got buckeyes at Gander about five days ago, and for the first time this season, I have been able to keep them going strong, very little dead loss. I have heard from a few people that the medium and heavy shiners have been hard to keep alive for over three or four days, I had the same problem. Hate to fish with such small bait, but I also hate spending $4 a dozen for bait just to watch it die before i can use it!  :-\

Offline jigewidit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:59 PM »
I just tried the $6 battery(1 D Cell) operated aerator from harbor freight. Comes with tubing & stone, clips on to my bucket,2 speeds, portable and has livened up the bait within minutes. seems well made, have to see how long it last. pumps out pretty good bubbles on the lowest setting.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.