Author Topic: quick snaps  (Read 6834 times)

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
quick snaps
« on: Dec 17, 2003, 12:48 PM »
I bought a couple of those small snaps that you can use to quickly attach and reattach lures, etc to your line without tying and cutting constantly. Does anyone have any experience with these? They aren't the type that lock, they're just like "u" shapes of spring steel. I got them because they are so small and I can switch between jigs quickly while going for pan fish. I also want to try them with walleye for jigging. Any thoughts on these? Do they work? I have a small needlenose pliers that I will use to make sure the gap doesn't widen before using. Thanks.

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:quick snaps
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2003, 01:58 PM »
Quick snaps would be a good bet if you are trying to figure out what the fish are in the mood for. I have found them very useful when searching for the right color to trigger bluegills.

I am hopeful that they would work for walleyes, but am not sure. I'd give it a shot, what have you got to lose?

There really is no need to close the gap on the snaps, unless you are catching fish that can swim upwards faster than you can pull them in.

My best advice is to have two different poles on the water. one for searching with the quick snap, and one for putting the right lure to use once you have figured out the fish.

good luck, and stay atop the ice!!!
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2003, 09:41 AM »
Mod_ Auger is right about not having to close the quick snap.  I have used them for 3 years and not had a problem with it coming open.  I use them for bluegills and crappie, but have caught several channel cats to 6 pounds and not had a snap fail yet.  You will like the action these give the vertical baits.  I believe it is better than the loop knots I use.

Pop

trapdaddy21

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2003, 01:16 PM »
i have been using the quick snaps for a few years now and sometimes have mixed emotions about them. i haven't had any problems with fish not biting because of the snap, but when you first try to put a bait on it is next to impossible. once i finally get the bait on the snap i try to bend it open a little more.  To get the bait on the snap can take some serious time and patience, so i would recomend rigging up your pole before you go out.

acsacmboy

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2003, 11:10 AM »
ive used them sometimes. they work fairly good also. most of the time i dont need to do searching because i ussually know what the fish want. most of the time though...  sometimes they are very handy to have. i keep them in my box.

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2004, 10:37 AM »
I use the fas snap brand they are a must have sometimes when the fish only want 1 color/bait combo.  $.79 for a pack of three.  Get the smallest size.

DaFish

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2004, 08:26 PM »
I have been using the fast snaps also and I love them. I have never had a problem with them. The only problems I have had was when using a really small jig even the small ones were to big for the eyes.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2004, 12:19 PM »
To get the bait on the snap can take some serious time and patience, so i would recomend rigging up your pole before you go out.
You are so right. I have pliers to hold the snap while I put the jig on. Retying one is next to impossible in the shack. Once you drop one, it's gone. They're too small to find. It just seems quicker to use rather than tying lures each time.

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2004, 03:54 PM »
I have a pack and I plan on using them alot this year. I hope they hold if I do hook a bigger fish. I will only be using them for panfish and perch. I don't have the guts to use them for walleye and bigger fish
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline Ottawa_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2004, 12:47 PM »
I use them to attach stinger hooks and droppers.

Offline yota1991

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2004, 07:50 PM »
i have used them for steelhead fishing and never had one break, caught a 15 rainbow without any problems.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: quick snaps
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2004, 11:13 PM »
Used the snaps this weekend and I lost a lure when it caught on the bottom of the ice hole. The line didn't snap or anything, my Swedish pimple just dropped off and sunk to the bottom. I spent the rest of the day just tying my lures on. A bit of a pain, but I didn't want to lose another one. I may try again'cause I like the idea of switching lures fast and getting it back down the hole.

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2004, 12:43 AM »
I use no-knots, I like them you can change your jig without trying to get the little line through that "little" hole. Getting old plays hell on the eyes :o, I also lost my jig on the side of the hole!!
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline outdoorwally

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2004, 04:36 PM »
Great for when your fingers are too cold to tie a knot. I love em.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.