Author Topic: Fishing and Barametric Pressure.  (Read 5031 times)

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing and Barametric Pressure.
« on: Jan 19, 2003, 10:42 AM »
Here's a tip i usually abide my fishing to:

When the barametric pressure is below 29.8, fishing is generally poor.

From 29.8 to 30.2, fishing is generally  pretty good.

30.2 and up is "average fishing" weather.

so the next time you head out, check the barometer. and when you are done fishing, remember what it was, and see how your fishing went compared to the pressure.
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
Re: Fishing and Barametric Pressure.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2003, 04:51 PM »
I have found that when the presure is changing I have had the best luck.  It does not seem to matter if it is dropping or raising.  Just what I have noticed.

RSQCAL

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2003, 05:17 PM »
:D Hey thanks for the info. Just the other day me and my dad were talking about this. We both agreed that changes in the barometer triggered bites but were un aware of were the best pressure for fishing is. This gives us a starting point to keep an eye on.  :'( :'(

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2003, 04:49 AM »
I always thought that a couple of days of a steady barometer was the best with over cast skies...

Offline Smelt1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Run with the big dawgs,or stay on the porch!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2003, 04:01 AM »
Its a well known fact that fish go into a feeding blitz just before a low pressure system moves through.And after the low moves out they have lock jaw for about 2 days.My best fishing days have allways been just in front of a thunderstorm.But standing out in a thunderstorm with a graphite lightning rod in your hand is proberly not the smartest thing to do. ;D
Bubba  

RSQCAL

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2003, 04:56 AM »
;D Hey Smelt1, couple years ago me and my brother-in-law were up at Perch Lake in Mi. We went out on his boat fishing before the sun came up. We were getting hits right and left. It started to sprinkle and my raingear was in my boat on shore (campsite). He had a sun umbrella so I set it up. The fish were biting like crazy when the flashes started. We were both going uuuuu---aaaaa at the flashes and reeling in to go to shore when lightning hit on the island in the middle of the lake. It took that long before I realized I'm under this lightning rod in the middle of the lake. Funny how a good bite on can take the smarts out of the best of us.  ;D

Offline Smelt1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Run with the big dawgs,or stay on the porch!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2003, 02:17 AM »
RSQCAL,Some of the dummest things I've done in my life usally ocur when I have a pole in my hand.This past summer we were surf fishing one of our favorite beaches in NH catching 45" stripers one after another.I did'nt even feal the rain that was falling for over an hour,it was'nt untill the first bolt of lightning hit the point near where we were fishing and we felt the electricity go threw the air that we relized that we were in trouble.Thank our lucky stars we were wairing rubber chest waders at the time or I might not be writting this today.
Bubba  

pikelane

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2004, 09:53 AM »
this is the first year I have actually paid attention to the barometric pressure, and I found it true as well that 29.8 and rising into the 30's was best, thanks for the tip to get out in front of a storm, I lost a monster in these conditions (my fault, I tried to show him who's boss, 5 min. later, Pikey went bye bye)

fishmann

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2004, 02:53 PM »
Smelt1, no disrespect intended, but do you really think that if lightning can go through a couple miles of open airspace a few millemeters of rubber is gonna stop it? Cars get hit by lighting all the time, and they're on rubber tires, no? Yeah, I know, metal cords in the tires, blah blah blah, but still, that many volts isn't gonna get challanged by a little rubber suit.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2004, 11:21 PM »
I have always heard the fishing can be dynamite after you have had three consecutive and consistent good days (on the third or perhaps it is the fourth day).  ??? I wonder how this correlates with the barometer? Also, better to fish a warm front (slow stead rain) than a cold front (usually a fast hard blast).

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.