Author Topic: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)  (Read 50789 times)

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)
« Reply #270 on: Nov 23, 2018, 06:40 PM »
Ok....through a lot of trial and error (tightening some stuff loosening others etc.) I got the framework put together, I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, this was a little trying. It seemed to me even after getting a new tub that things weren’t quite right. The frame didn’t seem to want to stack and balance. (Although after adding the tent i didn’t notice it) Today I finally got the tent fabric on. It seems to fit ok, although I already know the windbreak brackets will not hold, they already bowed on me while I was testing it. The tent is perfect in some spots, but I’ve got a lot of sag on the front side of the tent (door) and it seems when I fold it up or put it down there is a lot of tension on some of the Velcro straps (to the point where I’m unsure how long they will last before they tear the seam). The Velcro also seems to line up right on the screws so I just wonder how long before that wears through with how tight it is. Can anyone confirm, or have you seen the same type of stuff I described?

Same exact issues I had. Some tim places the tent lines up fine. In others it was way off. Same thing with the Velcro as well. Some of them were positioned right over the screws.

I'm glad I made the decision to return mine. Ordered the Clam Legend XL from Sportsman's Guide on a double discount day.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #271 on: Nov 23, 2018, 10:39 PM »
Yeah even with the new tub with the moved holes mine was still alittle hard to put together, seemed solid once everything was tightened though. Velcro loops are right on the side screws, it seems like an odd place to have it so I asked Wandee. He said that the side velcro is not being sewn in the right place, and thats one of the QC issues they are working on.

Not that this has to do so much with the Fx100I but I am still waiting for my refund from Sportmans Guide from the silver tube version that came not sewn right. They got the other one back, they sent me conformation of return on the 8th. It was authorized but I still haven't seen the refund to my card yet. I've called and everytime they have to talk to a manager  and no one has gotten me a direct answer on when I'll see my money. Anyone have a return problem with SG?

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #272 on: Nov 24, 2018, 08:12 AM »
Yeah I’m debating now what I’m going to do. I just have a gut feeling that I’m not going to be happy with it although i really wanted to like it. I think more than anything I feel like I will have issues down the road. Now the question is what to get to replace it. I’m thinking the frabill aegis or the recruit. I’m wondering if I get the recruit and don’t use the boat seat how much it will weigh. Looks like the boat seat is right around 14 lbs so the recruit without the seat should be about 48lbs.....I’m torn :-\

Offline quacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #273 on: Nov 24, 2018, 09:18 AM »
 was really wanting one of these, think i with go with the fx100. any issues with them? have they changed production site?

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #274 on: Nov 24, 2018, 10:10 AM »
Yeah even with the new tub with the moved holes mine was still alittle hard to put together, seemed solid once everything was tightened though. Velcro loops are right on the side screws, it seems like an odd place to have it so I asked Wandee. He said that the side velcro is not being sewn in the right place, and thats one of the QC issues they are working on.

Not that this has to do so much with the Fx100I but I am still waiting for my refund from Sportmans Guide from the silver tube version that came not sewn right. They got the other one back, they sent me conformation of return on the 8th. It was authorized but I still haven't seen the refund to my card yet. I've called and everytime they have to talk to a manager  and no one has gotten me a direct answer on when I'll see my money. Anyone have a return problem with SG?

What is your thoughts on the problems, are you sticking with it? I’ve only spoken to customer service once. I’m just wondering if I should get ahold of wandee as well. My thought is almost to get rid of this and maybe just get the non-insulated version.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #275 on: Nov 24, 2018, 11:39 AM »
I'm sure im late to this party, but i got to ask.. why is everyone so fixated on this shack? I could probably name you 3 brands of shacks similar to this that have been proven in the field over and over for practically the same price..

everything about this shack that I see just looks cheap.. nothing against shappell personally..  get your money back and give it to eskimo or otter.. 

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #276 on: Nov 24, 2018, 12:25 PM »
I'm sure im late to this party, but i got to ask.. why is everyone so fixated on this shack? I could probably name you 3 brands of shacks similar to this that have been proven in the field over and over for practically the same price..

everything about this shack that I see just looks cheap.. nothing against shappell personally..  get your money back and give it to eskimo or otter..

And those other shacks weigh 15-20# more and cost $100+ more. This is a light weight no frills shack at a great price. The original FX100 is to quote you, "proven in the field over and over". 

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #277 on: Nov 24, 2018, 12:47 PM »

It's all about the $$$$$.  There are other insulated shacks in the same weight class.  I have owned 3 different shappel shelters.  They are good and servicable but IMO lack in the quality areana.  You get what you pay for, in more ways than one.  Clam and Frabil both offer lightweight, quickflip shelters.  It's the quick flip feature that is the most desired by some of us.  I hate the setup of expandable framework.

I really hope Shappel gets this shelter and it's issues fixed.  Not good for the company, for sure.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #278 on: Nov 24, 2018, 01:34 PM »
I'm sure im late to this party, but i got to ask.. why is everyone so fixated on this shack?

The original version of this shelter has every other similar shelter beat for the most part.. It has the heaviest duty material, but is still the lightest, unless you count the Blazer, you'll need to add something to sit on for the Blazer. For those that have used the FX-100, the FX-100I was a pretty big deal.  If this happened 2 years ago, there would be a bunch of perfect FX-100I already on the ice.

Shappell and Eagle Claw are obviously different..

<°)))>{

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #279 on: Nov 24, 2018, 05:16 PM »
The original version of this shelter has every other similar shelter beat for the most part.. It has the heaviest duty material, but is still the lightest, unless you count the Blazer, you'll need to add something to sit on for the Blazer. For those that have used the FX-100, the FX-100I was a pretty big deal.  If this happened 2 years ago, there would be a bunch of perfect FX-100I already on the ice.

Shappell and Eagle Claw are obviously different..

<°)))>{

cool, makes sense to me. being light is nice in most circumstances.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #280 on: Nov 24, 2018, 05:48 PM »
That’s pretty much my stance with it is that it is lightweight and thermal. I had a rover 1.0 for 10 years and loved it but just wanted to update and have a little more space. I hate to give up on this and get the fx100 knowing that they will fix the issues. I might just have to deal with it until they figure it out....

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #281 on: Nov 24, 2018, 06:41 PM »
Own a FX 100, also wanted to upgrade to a FX100i thermal, disappointed in Eagle Claw's performance in product development. Shappell built it's brand following without using paid product endorsements. Interested in what insulated one man shelters, cheap and get what you pay for use ?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #282 on: Nov 24, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Own a FX 100, also wanted to upgrade to a FX100i thermal, disappointed in Eagle Claw's performance in product development. Shappell built it's brand following without using paid product endorsements. Interested in what insulated one man shelters the cheap, and get what you pay for use ?
i agree..i was hoping that shappell/eagle claw would have thermal tents for sale that fit on the fx100 I already have but would have bought a fx100i  in a heartbeat if it was just like my shappell fx100,same frame,sled but with the thermal tent.eagle claw dropped the ball on the fx100i imo.especially bringing it to market with knowledge of qc problems,defects and cheap brackets.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #283 on: Nov 25, 2018, 08:57 AM »
Mistertwister did you get my pm? My phone was dying hope I sent it before it died.

I'm gonna stick with the Fx100i for awhile at least. I bought it at Sportsman's Guide and have talked to them about the issues, so its noted on my account, gonna wait out their 90 day satisfaction guarantee. I can tell Wandee and Eagleclaw/Shappell want to get this right. They have been in  contact with me the whole way through, telling me about fixes and asking about issues and measurements just to make sure they have it right. I believe the fixed prototype tents are already over here, they were going to test in house before sending out with pro staff to make sure there weren't any other issues. The new folding braces will be shipping this week, the wind bars should also be pretty close if not ready to ship with the braces. I went to school for Industrial Design - Product Design so I understand some of the issues they're having. It sounds like they have a good handle on the issues, it is now just a race to get the fixes out without creating any more problems before the season ends.
Another reason I'm holding out is I have a couple other shelters already, and I'm usually a lightweight run and gun guy who doesn't even use a shelter. The Fx100i caught my attention because of the very lightweight and instant setup. I dont want stakes, I dont want sliding pieces or pins, I want to pop a hole or two sit down, flip the top to be fishing. A few conveniences like light, gear transport, and stopping the wind or rain was all I was looking for. My silver tube version was modded for speed of setup and to keep the weight down and this one will hopefully be as well.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #284 on: Nov 25, 2018, 10:57 AM »
I didn’t get your pm but i just sent you one :tipup:

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #285 on: Dec 05, 2018, 12:43 AM »
Emailed Wandee today, the folding braces are in but they are waiting for a replacement bolt that should be in early next week. Wind bars are made by the warrenty dept in the US and ready. Contact them if you need both they can bundle ship the windbraces with the folding brace next week. Warranty number is 720-941-8718 or 8719. Email is [email protected].
 Tent prototype from last week still needed some work, Wandee had some changes implemented. The newest rendions should be to him next week.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #286 on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:08 AM »
The wind bars are for the sides right? I’m pretty sure that’s what he told me last time I spoke with him. He also seemed to think that the new folding braces should help tighten up the fabric

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #287 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:28 AM »
 I was told the new folding braces are alittle longer when opened compared to the current ones. Not sure how much longer but any little bit should help remove some of the front slack.
  I didn't think to ask where the wind bars will be located. I would assume in the corners so they don't block the door or slide down the angle of the sides but I guess we'll see next week.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #288 on: Dec 05, 2018, 01:56 PM »
Where do you put your cooler?

Offline Beeler

« Reply #289 on: Dec 06, 2018, 01:19 PM »
Man, I like Shappell products and I want to order a FX100I but with all the problems everyone is having I have second thoughts. Does anyone know if Shappell recalled all the bad shacks? As anyone ordered a FX100I from Sportsman's Guide and received a good shack?

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #290 on: Dec 06, 2018, 01:44 PM »
When Sportsman's Guide first advertised this year - I picked up the original Fx100I with the silver conduit tubing.  Ive been out 6 times or so and love it.  It does everything a one man shack should do.  The shack is pleasant lightweight to pull by hand and load into the truck. Put together easy and no missing parts.  It is too bad they made changes and people have negative experiences. 

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #291 on: Dec 06, 2018, 01:51 PM »
Man, I like Shappell products and I want to order a FX100I but with all the problems everyone is having I have second thoughts. Does anyone know if Shappell recalled all the bad shacks? As anyone ordered a FX100I from Sportsman's Guide and received a good shack?

I think it’s been hit and miss for certain things although they haven’t shipped the new braces out yet so any shelter at this point will probably have the bad braces (I was told the new ones should help with some of the tent problems). I will say that their customer service has been outstanding throughout the process. I’m going to love this when the kinks are worked out.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #292 on: Dec 06, 2018, 02:29 PM »
Fishwacker, good to hear.  I also have the silver conduit model I picked up early this year.  Made a few mods to it and cant wait for ice.  I was hoping that there wouldn't be any issues, so it appears I dodged a bullet for now.  Cant wait for ice.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #293 on: Dec 06, 2018, 05:35 PM »

They did not recall the shacks that were already at retailers but they are not shipping anymore to retailers until they get the new fixes implemented.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #294 on: Dec 06, 2018, 05:42 PM »
I'm also very excited for this shack, I had a silver tube fx100I and it was really nice except the part of the seam they missed sewing. If I knew how to sew I probably would have kept it. The black tube version it alittle taller and bigger in the front. I think that space will be awesome once they figure out how to get the tents sewn correctly.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #295 on: Dec 06, 2018, 05:50 PM »
I ordered a Shappell FX100I today, (Dec.6th) from Sportsman's Guide. Keeping my fingers cross that I receive a good shack.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #296 on: Dec 06, 2018, 05:59 PM »
I have to believe almost all the silver bar fx100i are sold already because they sold quick then all retailers were out of them for awhile,all of a sudden a second batch came in and they were a different version.thats the lemon shappell that i think everyone has in stock now.few guys are lucky to get the 1st version.im waiting till next year.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #297 on: Dec 16, 2018, 07:17 AM »
I canceled my order for the Shappell FX100I from Sportsman Guide. I'm going to wait until spring to see if all the improvements are made before buying. For now I'll use my Shappell FX50 for early/late fishing and when I can drive on the ice with my truck I'll use my Tip Down Shanty.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #298 on: Dec 16, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Went to the Fish307.com open house on Saturday and looked at the new FX100i. My initial impression, didn't care for the new frame work and it's plastic corners. Framework flexed when folding the shelter down, the locking braces for the wind break were already bent on the floor model. The insulated tent is nice and the extensions added to the skirt and tent will help seal out wind drafts, didn't care for the rear zippered access door. Prefer the framework on my two year old FX100, going to wait and see if Eagle Claw makes the insulated tent available.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #299 on: Dec 16, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Went to the Fish307.com open house on Saturday and looked at the new FX100i. My initial impression, didn't care for the new frame work and it's plastic corners. Framework flexed when folding the shelter down, the locking braces for the wind break were already bent on the floor model. The insulated tent is nice and the extensions added to the skirt and tent will help seal out wind drafts, didn't care for the rear zippered access door. Prefer the framework on my two year old FX100, going to wait and see if Eagle Claw makes the insulated tent available.
im also waiting to see if they make thermal tents for the fx100. but doesnt sound like the new version thermal tent will even fit our fx100s.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.