Author Topic: 1 Lb test line and small jigs for finicky gills  (Read 25810 times)

Offline blackdogs

• IceShanty Rookie
1 Lb test line and small jigs for finicky gills
« on: Dec 12, 2006, 01:20 PM »
Well, a couple years ago I went through the hassle of changing most of my ice rods over to 1 pound line.  I caught a lot of fish. 

2 problems I ran into were the line getting caught on the ice and easily breaking(if using my old dead sticks) or the line breaking while trying to get it off the reel of my modern day spinning tackle.(with a bobber stop, the line seems to catch and you have to gently tug on it to get it to come off...)

I just got back from the store and bought 2 packs of line.  1 lb and 3 lb.

I am gonna re-rig again(getting rid of my 4 lb test) and go with 3 lb on most of my rods and 1 lb on only 2 rods(1 old, 1 new)

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find the smallest of jigs to fish on 1 lb line?

And what can I do to prevent breakage of my 1 lb line?

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 1 Lb test line and small jigs for finicky gills
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2006, 01:32 PM »
NISID makes some tiny tungsten jigs. Down to .18 grams. I bought some a while ago and they are really tiny. Here's a link-->  NISID Tungsten jigs
Ken                                          

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2006, 06:17 PM »

not trying to be rude, but couldn't a person leave the 4 lb. test line on your reels, add a tiny inline swivel, then a 3' or 4' leader of  the 1 lb test line ? it would be easy to remove the leader, 'IF' you decided to fish with heavier line.
fred

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:23 PM »
not trying to be rude, but couldn't a person leave the 4 lb. test line on your reels, add a tiny inline swivel, then a 3' or 4' leader of  the 1 lb test line ? it would be easy to remove the leader, 'IF' you decided to fish with heavier line.
fred

Itty bitty jigs wont sink if the line is too heavy, plus it kill the jigs action. The light line has as much to do with fishability as it does visability.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2006, 09:34 PM »

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find the smallest of jigs to fish on 1 lb line?

And what can I do to prevent breakage of my 1 lb line?

I took a photo of some of my NISID tungsten jigs. These are their 2.5mm and 3mm jigs.

The best way to prevent line breakage is have a good reel with a good drag system set lightly. Let the drag scream and you'll be surprised at the fish you can land.  Don't try to horse 'em in. Also, check your line frequently right around the jig and retie when you feel any irregularities in the line.
Ken                                          

Offline blackdogs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:04 AM »
fred

Yes, if sed person was willing to give up the action/control over the bait, not to mention the possibility of not seeing bites due to the swivels weight.

I am not willing to do that.

I will rig up 2 rods with 1 lb and the rest with 3 lb.  I probably have 6-7 rods that I take with me on each outing.  I try to keep what I believe will be the "go to" baits tied to these rods.  Then depending on the fishes mood, I can adjust my approach.

Offline blackdogs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:09 AM »
I took a photo of some of my NISID tungsten jigs. These are their 2.5mm and 3mm jigs.

The best way to prevent line breakage is have a good reel with a good drag system set lightly. Let the drag scream and you'll be surprised at the fish you can land.  Don't try to horse 'em in. Also, check your line frequently right around the jig and retie when you feel any irregularities in the line.

Thanks for the pic.  Do you know what size hook that is?  I am looking to get a couple more marmooska jigs in size 16.  I believe they are basically the same as the jigs from your pic.

Do you know if anyone makes a size 18 jig???  Also looking for ideas on very small pastic or live bait (see mudworms??? in the bait section if interested...)

As far as breaking the line, I don;t have a problem "playing" fish, my only problem is trying to get frozen 1 lb line to come off the reel in a fashion so that it doesn't break...

Thanks for all the help so far!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2006, 05:25 AM »
I think the ones I took pictures of are all size 18 hooks. If you look on that page I linked to, it shows the hook size like this - Tungsten S with Eye, #18, 0.18 g. Their tungsten jigs are made using size 14, 16, and 18 hooks.
Some of the best plastics I've used are from little atom. Here's their web page. I've also used their optic jig, but they only go down to size 16.
Ken                                          

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2006, 06:50 AM »
If you go to the nisid web page don't overlook the mormyshka {hole in the head } jigs. You have to buy them in a kit 14 or so lures in each kit. These things are great for giving the fish something different, also have some very small sizes.I use them with spring bobbers. "WHEN WE HAVE ICE" which we don't.
Paul

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2006, 04:07 PM »
fred
I use two Lb. gold, for vis. and then attach about 3 feet of 2 Lb fire line.  Works great. 
Shut up and fish.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2007, 03:26 PM »
Using a four pound main line with a swivel will leave the four pound out past the rod guides in turn killing much of the action desired by going to 1# test. One trick for 3/4 # or 1 # test lines is to use the whippiest noodle like rod you can find, like the 24" UL from HT. It only costs about 7.00. Using this type of rod with light line is similar to an employng an 11" rod with 3-4 # test line while fishing for 10-15 # Steelhead in river current. With the right rod you should minimalize line breakage. Every year I end up landing numerous Pike on 1#. These pike are usually the 16 - 24 inch handles, but it's a good example of what a light rod and proper "DRAG" can do for you.
With the proper style rod and real you can shed the spring bobbers. Light line is so sensitive that all you need to watch is how it coils off the last eyelet. The proper rod will bend slightly down even with the tiniest of jigs. Many times the tip will not bob on a bite, but it will rise ever so lightly. SET IT GOOD!
Once you figure the light line game out, you will be hard pressed to use rope for fishing again.

You can buy small jigs from FISKA. I think it is a Swedish or Finish company that exports tournament jigs to the USA. Buy them when you find em cause they can sell out quick and be hard to find.

bigdave1018

« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2007, 05:19 PM »
none of you light line guys can tell me that 1# test line will last long rubbing on the sides of the hole no matter how smooth it is. gills go round the hole like crazy once hooked. i agree light line is guaranteed more jig action and bites but stronger line then a 1# leader has got to hold up longer then straight 1# line. jmo.

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2007, 07:22 PM »
never had a line rubbed on the sides of the hole even using less than 1LB test line.I've been using thin lines for many years.the worse thing is using main line and leader.The line always will brake in knot place first, not talking about sharp edges of the marmooshkas.  try to avoid extra knots.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:48 AM »
none of you light line guys can tell me that 1# test line will last long rubbing on the sides of the hole no matter how smooth it is. gills go round the hole like crazy once hooked. i agree light line is guaranteed more jig action and bites but stronger line then a 1# leader has got to hold up longer then straight 1# line. jmo.
I use strictly 1# - 3/4# on Gills and have never broke off on the edge of the hole. Fighting a bruiser Gill on light line is a different type of fight than that while using four pound ROPE. The rope tugs the Gill up right away and he then whirls around the edge of the hole, not so with light line. I would suggest though that you not switch in mid stream as finesse fishing is not for everyone, just as fishing for double digit Steelies with 4# is not for everyone, some prefer weed wacker lines.
Whatever works for you I would stick with. :tipup:

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2007, 08:55 AM »
Well said R L                         Ron

Bobberstop

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2007, 05:23 PM »
I fish 1 and 2 lb and never break off. Its like the package of line says, "respool often". Using a reel of decent quality cant hurt either. 

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:05 AM »
I use strictly 1# - 3/4# on Gills and have never broke off on the edge of the hole. Fighting a bruiser Gill on light line is a different type of fight than that while using four pound ROPE. The rope tugs the Gill up right away and he then whirls around the edge of the hole, not so with light line. I would suggest though that you not switch in mid stream as finesse fishing is not for everyone, just as fishing for double digit Steelies with 4# is not for everyone, some prefer weed wacker lines.
Whatever works for you I would stick with. :tipup:
Very good RL :thumbsup:
I use a leader of 1,1.2 or my heavy 1.5# line tied directly to 2# on my reel. Never had a break off due to ice hole. I have caught Pickeral and Bass 2 to 4 lbs. with no problems. I use mico light 9'' to 18'' shack rods. If i'm worried about break-offs i stuff my rod tip down the hole. I use under spin reels with very sliky smooth drags and its really difficult to break the line with this system.
If and when i have a break off its my fault and breaks are right at the knot at the jig.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2007, 10:27 AM »
I have never used 1 lb test,but use 2,3lb trilene ice with good luck on fussy big bulls and slabs, I my rod of choice is  24 ul St. Croix avid and I might spool up three or four times a year. Check your knot after you start getting a few fish, those little raspy mouths can fray line, and I retied several times a day.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2007, 07:53 AM »
I like the 1# pole cat mono. If your worried about the ice wearing on your line and being able to see your line. Spool up with stren 4# yellow the tie a leader 4 or 5ft. long of the 1# Pole Cat. This has worked great for me for years.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2008, 11:51 AM »
i don't use anything heavier than 4 lb and it works fine for me if my jig doesn't sink i put a tiny split shot about 1' above it, leaves the jig it's action and sinks it to the right depth.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2008, 09:03 AM »
Light lines under 2# test require some TLC. Retie knots at least after/before each trip (I like the polomar, be sure to lubricate line with saliva before tightening the knot) and more often if catching a lot of fish and run the last 3 - 4' of line and the section just ahead of the bail between the thumb and index finger often checking for knicks or knots, if ya find any clip off and retie. Fish with rods with good eyes, no knicks that can abrade lines. Fish with rods rated for 1# test line, usually UL rods, so the rod fights the fish and not the line and a reel with a smooth drag set light.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2008, 05:25 PM »
Great suggestions and tips Quack.  ;)

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2008, 05:48 PM »
I have huge respect for you guy's that have mastered the use of line under 2lb. I just haven't been able to get there yet. 2lb. is still the best I can do. I just get too many break offs mainly when tying on a jig.

:clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline tjsnipehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2008, 08:24 PM »
Interesting thread that has been going on a while.

One thing I find interesting is that many light line users trust their drag. I back reel on all my light jigging rods. I've never found a drag that worked for me. It is a bit of an art with under 2lb line but it works for me. I also like a noodle rod to protest the line. Too stiff of a rod is a sure way to break you line if the fish takes a fast run.

Tim

Offline bigbuck326

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 570 240 2001
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2008, 05:26 PM »
Suggest use HT 36 inches UL Blue Ice Rod is awesome with 1 lbs most time i caught thousand thousand Gills better than 2 lbs,  and 4 lbs turned spooking easy...  Some time unexpecting Pickerel toothy cut off the tinest line..

icesilentguy

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:27 PM »
I have huge respect for you guy's that have mastered the use of line under 2lb. I just haven't been able to get there yet. 2lb. is still the best I can do. I just get too many break offs mainly when tying on a jig.

:clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:
NBG
Lobes,

If you are breaking off when tying then there can be a number of issues:
1. Not wetting the knot when closing it up.
2. Using the wrong knot, thus putting too much friction, heat and strain on the line in one area.
3. Old line, or line exposed to prolonged sun. Thin line breaks down and gets brittle much quicker.
4. Many stores do not sell much 1#, so what they do have can be very old and may not have been stored well.

You may want to get your line from a sewing shop. .003 - .005 are good choices. It will range from 3/4 # test to 1.5# or so. If you are able to break the line easily with yor fingers, then it is not good line to use.

Hope this helps.

RL

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:56 PM »
Very good RL :thumbsup:
I use a leader of 1,1.2 or my heavy 1.5# line tied directly to 2# on my reel. Never had a break off due to ice hole. I have caught Pickeral and Bass 2 to 4 lbs. with no problems. I use mico light 9'' to 18'' shack rods. If i'm worried about break-offs i stuff my rod tip down the hole. I use under spin reels with very sliky smooth drags and its really difficult to break the line with this system.
If and when i have a break off its my fault and breaks are right at the knot at the jig.
I just reposted this a year later if anyone ??? didn't see it before.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2008, 02:55 PM »
1 lb isn't that hard to get used to with the tips given here. 12oz and even 8oz tippets aren't as easy but still end up having to do it more often than I want too, but if you want fish you have to at times. Still use a high quality, super thin, 3 lb main line and tie in a foot or 2 of fly fishing tippet material on with a double surgeons knot. Main line handles the rubbing on the hole sides well but still presents a very light approach. More of it has to do with the rod and its sensitivity and how well you can keep yourself from overly horsing the fish in. Landed a 17" largemouth on 12oz line and a #20 hook last year, took forever but did do it.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2008, 04:35 PM »
Swift, your right about the rod for sure. Smooth drag needed as well. The Bass below were landed on 1#, and normally land 2-3 Pike a year in the 23-29" class on one pound. Bass from 2-5#s each year as well. Note the size of the Bass compared to the milk crate next to it :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.