Author Topic: Best depth finder for ice fishing your opinions  (Read 1351 times)

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best depth finder for ice fishing your opinions
« on: Jan 06, 2019, 03:25 PM »
Gents and Ladies, As I sit here in western NY waiting for ice, I was wondering in your opinion(s), what the best depth finder for the money is.  I already have an Ice 35 but was interested in your opinions
Spud, throw rope, PFD and stay on top

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best depth finder for ice fishing your opinions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2019, 03:26 PM »
a rock tied to a string

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Hard to argue against the stuff garmin has put out the last year or so unless you really are putting emphasis on for the money. Best cheap one is an argument worth having with the marcum m1 getting my vote followed by the ice 35. Helix 7 ice bundle is probably most features for lowest money

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2019, 04:39 PM »
This is a highly subjective question with an infinite number of answers as a possibility.

What’s your budget?
How deep of water do you fish?
What do you fish for?

If those three are clear to the person asking then it’s much easier to narrow down.

The Garmin stuff is really cool but it’s a bit spendy. Perhaps more than what many can spend or are willing to spend.

Nothing wrong with one of the “lower” end units that don’t cost as much but if you are going to be over deep water you’ll want something with zoom...and added features and options means they’ll cost more.

For some species you really want something that has an incredibly small amount of target separation. For others you won’t need that. Again....these things will push the price up a notch or two.

I am beyond happy with my LX7 and one of the primary reasons is because I use it on my boat. It’s a great ice unit but I feel that it’s even better in open water.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2019, 04:40 PM »
I prefer a heavy lead weight with a  clip on the end .... Easy to clip on a zipper pull ...
Budweiser pro staff

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2019, 07:28 PM »
Not a great piece for info as it is really outdated as far as info and changes in everyone's technologies go. Lots of new stuff out there especially on the sonar side where they are trying to make it so you can use it all year long boat or ice.

No need to go any further>>

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331371.msg3507110#msg3507110

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2019, 07:41 PM »
You know what they say about opinions. Like 32footsteps said, there is a lot of variables. Go with what you can afford and what works for you, not everybody else, and don't get caught up in the hype of some stuff. Your the one laying out the cash. Will buying a $1000 plus electronics put more fish on the ice? Maybe, or maybe not. My $300 Elite 4 Chirp is all I need.
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:27 PM »
So in your opinion,which  is best for depth between 0 to 90 feet of water
what degree transducer is best for this depth?
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2019, 07:38 PM »
Sounds like hes only looking for depth? Sounders work well.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline wildlifer100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2019, 07:56 PM »
lowrance ice machine.   4 or 5   you can buy a transducer to fit on you boat or kayak.  makes it an all year long machine.   owned mine for 4 years.  wont buy anything else.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2019, 08:03 PM »
I run an ICE35 right now, but if I were shopping for a new sonar today, I’d be trying to decide between a Garmin Echomap and a Humminbird Helix.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2019, 08:06 PM »
No need to go any further>>

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331371.msg3507110#msg3507110

That poll is 2 years old.  I remember voting on it, and looking back, just how much my views have changed since then.  I voted Marcum back then, but I don’t think I would buy one today anymore.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:12 AM »
I have the Garmin Striker Ice 5.  And I LOVE it!  For my money it's worth paying to get the 5" screen at a minimum.  With this unit I run split screen sonar.  One half shows the whole water column.  The other is zoomed in to the bottom 8 feet or so.  That's real nice.

Another nice thing about this one is that you can adjust the size of the cone the transducer sends out.  Smaller cone for deeper water, bigger cone for shallow water.

The models for sale now will do the custom contour mapping too.  Makes me want to get one, but then I would also need a kayak.  Haha.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2019, 08:58 AM »
That poll is 2 years old.  I remember voting on it, and looking back, just how much my views have changed since then.  I voted Marcum back then, but I don’t think I would buy one today anymore.

right someone should unstick that thread

Catchin' Fish

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:46 AM »
No I am looking for not only depth but structure ID and fish ID.  My ice 35 is good but when you get over 40-50 it doesn't have enough power and sensitivity to pick up small jigs

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2019, 03:43 PM »
The models for sale now will do the custom contour mapping too.  Makes me want to get one, but then I would also need a kayak.  Haha.

The Striker PLUS models have QuickDraw contours, the regular Strikers are still just a waypoint & track plotter, no mapping.

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:04 PM »
the one with the most vertical pixels

Offline Canuckbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2019, 09:33 PM »
My $95 CDN Hook 3 is perfect, Mark's anything between hut and bottom. Added ice transducer and even better.
Had Ice35, hated it.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:46 AM »
Hands down, best for the money is currently livescope from Garmin. No other does what it is capable of.

Offline copperjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2019, 01:44 PM »
If I was a pro I would go for that unit but 1000 wow

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2019, 01:52 PM »
If I was a pro I would go for that unit but 1000 wow

OP wanted to know what is the best.....it is more like $2500 when all setup with batteries though....

Alternatively they just came up with a $499 livescope unit, but you have to have one of the screens that start at like $2800 and it doesn't have the range of the $1400 transducer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.