Author Topic: Ice at Mission is 14 inches thick......  (Read 2598 times)

Offline loomis

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice at Mission is 14 inches thick......
« on: Dec 05, 2006, 06:31 PM »
Went to Mission today and the ice was anywhere from 14-17 inches thick. I walked on but there was several guys drivin on.  Caught about 10 perch in 3 hours, one was 12 and another was a little better then 14 inches. Using a glow red northland and caught the bigger ones with a swimming lure.

Brad

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
Re: Ice at Mission is 14 inches thick......
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2006, 09:03 PM »
thats funny, I went out on Sunday on mission and deepest ice i found was 10 inches.  One spot only couple feet away from 10- hit only 6 inches.  I wouldn't be driving on just yet.
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline lucky06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2006, 12:56 AM »
do u have any pics loomis
burbot king

Offline loomis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2006, 02:03 AM »
No sorry i dont have pics.... I am goin to collingwood tomarrow...... if you dont believe me about people driving on go to lebret at the boat launch and you will see truck tracks going out on the lake, across from the boat launch you will see a grey shack and a shack with the canadian flag on it those guys where driving on, the guys with the grey shack dragged it out by skidoo...... they told me there was 18 inches..... i didnt believe them then i drilled some holes and they were not to far off.....

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:15 AM »
THat was where I went on the lake as well, Sunday not a soul out- probably because of the white out, I was fishing more towards center of the lake, so could be different.  But the deepest I found was still only 10 inches.  AND at the boat launch, and 1/4 mile all around it, there was major water underneath the snow on top of ice.    Trust me, if I thought it would of been safe to drive on, I sure would of, my bike died in the middle of the lake when coming back, and me and my buddy pushed it all the way back to shore, along with portable and gear.  IF I thought it was somewhat safe, i would of drove on to pick it up, but when after finding only 6 inches on a spot- Makes a guy think twice.  We are not invinciable out there.  Just remember to play it safe.
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline mr.spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:21 AM »
did u have much luck fishing mission and do u think ketepwa would be safe?

Offline Natureboy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2006, 03:38 PM »
Going to mission Saturday.  As long as you walk on by the shore, you should be fine.  Personally, I think driving on before it's 24 inches is crazy.

Offline loomis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2006, 04:08 PM »
Went to collingwood today not a bite...... didnt even see fish with the aquaview..... the ice was 13 inches about 40 yards off shore and 12 in the center.....fished in 15, 20, 25 feet of water and nothing drilled about 30 holes and nothing.  Second off I am only passing along information and that i used a tape measure not a guess and eyeballing it.  It is my personal opinion that 12 inches of ice is thick enough to drive on.  http://www.se.gov.sk.ca/fishwild/2006%20Anglers%20Guide.pdf   go to page 15 and they have all ice fishing safety pointers on there...... it says that with 10 inches of ice you can drive a 2 ton vehicle on the ice and with 12 inches a heavy truck, ofcourse when you factor in current and springs and all that yes the ice will be thinner and caution and common sense should be used.

Brad.

Offline loomis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2006, 04:27 PM »
Yeah i really good luck at mission, to be honest I have never fished katepwa.  Honestly i dont think I would of caught as many as i did without the aqauview... they were kinda shy of the lures, mealworms worked good as well as fisheyes... minnows didnt seem to produce.  Another thing I found was that if you ripped the hook about 2-3 feet the tulibees would come down after the hook, and pull those through the hole and its just a mess....lol.... but i was using a red glow northland jig and i caught more on that but smaller ones 6-7-8 inches..... I caught the bigger ones on a rapala swimming lure  ummmm I used the green tiger with black bars....and the silver and blue rapala.... i used a scent spray on the swimming lure i believe that its called yum with the shad scent on it.... if you put an eye on it the bigger fish shyed away and the small ones would attack it.... If you dont have an aqua view or flasher I would put a rapala swimmer on one line and a hogger/lead jig/swedish pimple on the other and use the rapala to call them in and work the other more slowly... sometimes i would have to stay still for 15-20 seconds before they would bite... anyways good luck

Brad.

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2006, 06:11 PM »
Hey loomis what end of the lake were you fishing on? if there is 12-14 inches i'm gonna drive on, i'm going out on friday 2 degree's they're saying for the high so it should be alright.  There is an older dutch man that has fished that lake for years, i met him last year and did a little fishing with him it was good.. ne way he drives on 8-9 inches i told him last year i wouldn't drive on until 12 inches plus, and he called me a p*ssy haha.  Excited for friday i'll let ya guys know how i do.  As for katepwa it should be fine to walk on wouldn't think about driving cause the lake gets so deep and the point can be very dangerous, but if there is 12-14 inches on mission then i'm sure it will be fine to walk on ne way be careful but i'm sure a guy would be fine.

Offline loomis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2006, 10:17 PM »
I was on the southeast end of mission, infront of the cabins, in about 20 feet of water..... they were not aggressive but they were biting... i found mealworms the best and once i had some fisheyes i went to those, they seemed to take those better.  Anything flashy didnt seem to work glows and swimming lures worked the best for me.  but ya never know..... didnt see any walleyes on the camera but every now and then a pike would swim but and then the perch would die of for 10-15 min.... hope i was some help....

Brad

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2006, 10:15 AM »
oh okay thanks, ya the area you were fishing in isn't an area that i have had luck in fishing for walleye.  I'm going to hit the slabs tommorow if i can drive on the lake if not i'll fish the southwest end of the lake hopefully hook up on a couple eyes if not should see a couple on the cam.  Ne way let you know how it goes.

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2006, 05:39 PM »
About Katepwa ice.... watch out, that lake has many, many springs, and i personally know guys that have broke thru on there, either walking, snowmobile, quad, and van.  I am not sure where however, I've been too wary of going on that lake with all the stories I have heard, so just be careful if you venture onto katepwa.
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2006, 08:13 PM »
I agree out of the 4 lakes it is by far the most dangerous, if you don't know the lake don't chance anything or go with someone who knows the lake that's the only sure way to stay safe.

Offline mr.spoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2006, 09:38 PM »
thanks for the warnings guys! ive heard that about ketepwa!

Offline Saskbush

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2006, 10:54 PM »
Went out to mission today. The ice is around 12" to 14" in all the holes I drilled. There is about 2" of water on top of the ice in some places and then about a foot of snow. There were a couple of people driving on it. But I don't think it is good enough to drive on yet. The fishing was a bit slow for me but I was only out for a couple of hours. And while were on the topic of springs... can anyone give me some tips on some of the areas to stay away from on the chain lakes. Thanks.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2006, 06:52 AM »
There's a steep drop-off next to a point on the north side of Katepwa that's been known to be pretty thin sometimes.  I can't remember if it's east or west of the beach.  Someone here will know.  On a warm day the ramp where you drove on could have over a foot of water by mid-afternoon so keep an eye on the approaches.  Lots of folks go through just 20 or 30 feet out in 3' of water.  As a matter of course go wide around all points and cross the heaves on tracks where other vehicles have gone.  Underwater current can be as deadly as springs.  At Pelican Pte I used to see my hook being carried one direction out of sight, then a half hour later it would be going the other way!  Ice there would typically be 5 or 6" thinner than in the middle.  When you're fishing and run into someone who has a place there or lives there just ask what to look for and they'll tell you where the fool went in last year.  Open your car window a bit and take off your seatbelt.... and keep that steel thermos on the seat beside you in case you have to open a window in a hurry.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:42 AM »
On the south(south-east) side of both Sandy-beach and Katepwa points the water is very deep close to shore...I would suspect that water coming through the river channel all these years has eroded the bottom. If the water is moving in winter then my guess is the ice would be thinner there.Many times I have seen children standing in the water fishing off Katepwa point and it scares the c**p out of me (I usually go and warn them) all they have to do is take a few steps into the water on the beach side and they will be in over their heads.There are some springs in Katepwa as well that may or may not be active, so it is a lake to be cautious of....also the deepest of the four chain lakes(so I've been told) and the last one to freeze. Please Take care

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2006, 09:26 PM »
another lake that is bad for springs is pasqua. mostly on the south side of the lake. if you are fishing on the south side of pasqua be very careful. found enough springs there last winter on the sleds to stay away.

anyone catching at echo yet?

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:23 PM »
Was out on katepwa today at the end of the day we went to the point walked out maybe 20 yards and plugged a hole and it was 5 inches.  Action wasn't bad from about 3-5 ish, drilled holes all over some spots were under 4 inchs, it's a very dangerous point.  A guy came rolling up on a sled along shore and he wanted to go around the point, i told him how much ice there was and he still went crazy cause he took the point fairly wide he may have been riding on less than 4 inches in spots   :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.