Author Topic: Wakaw Lake  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Poorjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
Wakaw Lake
« on: Dec 07, 2021, 06:05 PM »
Has anyone been out at Wakaw Lake ? Wondering how thick ice is. There are 3 shacks out near Domremy Beach.

gman51

Re: Wakaw Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2021, 07:30 AM »
kinda weird that there's never really any post,s about fishing or people catching at wakaw lake. being that its only an hour away from Saskatoon. any comments.?  i personally haven't fished there in over 25 years and the 1 time i did was in a tournament and never caught a thing and cant recall really anyone catching. is it another pike lake fishery. ?

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2021, 03:41 PM »
I know of people who catch in the summer, but I cant see it being a good fishery at best.  I know numerous fishers within 40 min of that lake and not a one goes there.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2021, 04:45 PM »
Last time I ice fished there was about 5 years ago, and a 5 inch perch was a wall hanger.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2021, 08:13 PM »
1lb pike mostly from what I remember.. canada you would love it  ;D

Offline Railman8157

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2021, 08:16 PM »
Was there on Saturday.9 inches of ice marked fish but no takers.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2021, 07:36 AM »
There is another small lake really close to Wakaw called Shannon Lake. It is stocked with walleye and I usually do decent there in the summer but haven't tried it in the winter. Does anyone fish Shannon in winter? It's only about an hour from me.

Offline herschel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2021, 10:38 AM »
There is another small lake really close to Wakaw called Shannon Lake. It is stocked with walleye and I usually do decent there in the summer but haven't tried it in the winter. Does anyone fish Shannon in winter? It's only about an hour from me.

The word about Shannon is that the winter bite is tough to nearly impossible.  My understanding is that the lake has a ton of freshwater shrimp (or something similar) so the fish are less than interested in normal presentations. 

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2021, 12:01 PM »
The word about Shannon is that the winter bite is tough to nearly impossible.  My understanding is that the lake has a ton of freshwater shrimp (or something similar) so the fish are less than interested in normal presentations.
I have heard the same. May still try to venture out there and try some of the summer hot spots, see if they produce.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2021, 01:27 PM »
1lb pike mostly from what I remember.. canada you would love it  ;D

ha ha ha  if they were 2 then Id have been there   lots!!!!!

Offline Trobb10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2021, 05:22 PM »
I’ve tried Shannon a few times in the winter and it’s not worth your time. Unreal in the summer though. Heard they school up and if you can find the school you might catch a few but most likely getting skunked. I’ve drilled many holes where shrimp come up with the ice tailings

Offline Paraaronoid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2021, 06:22 PM »
kinda weird that there's never really any post,s about fishing or people catching at wakaw lake.

LOL maybe they're still trained to keep their mouths shut after all of the murders out there.

Offline Waverider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2021, 10:03 PM »
There last weekend - 7-9" ice and caught a couple tiny perch, 1 30" pike and a decent sized walleye. Seems to be hit or miss but there is some decent fish in that lake, no doubt.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.