Author Topic: Anyone bring firearms with them when ice fishing?  (Read 4746 times)

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone bring firearms with them when ice fishing?
« on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:16 PM »
Was wondering if anyone carries a firearm with them when they go ice fishing?  More specifically in a northern lake in the middle of nowhere?  Several friends are thinking of doing a trip up north and I was thinking of bringing a shotgun along just in case I encounter a bear or wolves or Aliens.  I'd prefer to carry my semi-automatic cause it has a collapsible stock and it has been modified to legally hold 8 rounds and its non-restricted.
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline saskriverman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone bring firearms with them when ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:34 PM »
no, lol

Offline silverfox1969

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:50 PM »
I plan on making a trip up north this winter and I will be taking a shotgun with me. My best friend was up in the bessnard lake area last season a few times icefishing and encountered a wolf pack every time some even came to close showing no fear of man. I was raised in Thompson Manitoba and lived on the city's edge of town and it was common to see 1 or 2 wolves trotting down the street during the winter season.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2014, 12:04 AM »
I don't think you would have to worry about bears at this time of year??  Not sure if the recent hot spell would bring them out of hibernation but i would expect most bears if not all would be hibernating and i doubt you would have much chance of stumbling across one if you were just going on to a lake and following trails on land.  I am not claiming to be an expert on bears but this is my general understanding that they don't do much at all during the winter.

In regards to wolves i can't say for certain you couldn't have an issue with them but i have never seen a wolf on any of my northern summer/winter fishing trips.  Not to say it couldn't happen but i don't recall reading any stories of this occurring and i have a hunch that it is probably not that common or likely.

in regards to aliens... definitely bring more firepower!

I don't think it is a bad idea to have a gun during the summer months if you are hiking or backcountry camping in regards to bear safety.  I don't have any weapons my self but i think it would be smart to have one on some trips.  Obviously the gun would only be good if handled properly/safely and used only if absolutely necessary (also ideally not shooting the animal if it could be spooked off with a shot in the air) and there was absolutely no fooling around with the weapons while drinking for example etc etc.  Kind of goes without saying but i believe sometimes having a gun around could be more dangerous, obviously hoping that all gun owners take it very seriously (not implying you wouldn't either).  It's definitely cool to shoot things for target practice too if its all done smart.  I just know when me and the boys go out fishing we like to have a few cold ones and i would be very cautious while having weapons around alcohol! 

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2014, 12:14 AM »
Interesting to know that about the wolves, have you ever heard of anyone being attacked while fishing?  Just curious to know if this is something common or if majority of the time it is just a wolf encounter and not an attack?

I know wolf attacks are a very real possibility if you get yourself in a vulnerable position or possibly if the wolves even just are in serious need of food or feel threatened by how  deep you are into their area.

I would be more concerned having children (or even dogs) around when wolves are around.  Those smaller "creatures" (my boy sometimes is haha) are definitely more enticing to a wolf.  I recently heard a good joe rogan podcast where he had this woman sue aekins on who is on one of those new wilderness living shows (she is in the arctic circle) and she talked a lot about living around wolves.  They definitely were sizing up her grandchild when she was visiting her at camp.  She was mostly able to avoid confrontation with the wolves however but she did feel that they may some time challenge her if the circumstances where right and they felt the needed to or if she got weak etc.

Where she lives she never goes ANYWHERE without a gun.  She had a pretty intense story about being attacked by a bear and being left behind dying and crawling to get to her gun and i believe killing the bear when it came back to finish her off.  She managed to get back to her camp from the river and survived for days before rescue came.  Its somewhere in this podcast...

Offline Blue Hog Ridr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2014, 12:40 AM »
Hahaha. I always carry a double barrel Stevens Coach gun under the back seat. But it ain't for any wild animals that I may encounter fishing in either Summer or Winter.

Chances of seeing a bear, specially in the winter is a rarity.  Wolves are very elusive creatures.   If you have ever been in Wolf territory, chances are, you were around wolves.  You just didn't see them.   They saw you tho.  try going hunting and when you come back retracing your foot steps,  and see that wolves have been tracking you.  That makes you have a heightened sense of awareness.
But, they are just interested in who you are.

It would have to be a very harsh winter with lots of winter kill before a pack would make you dinner.  And even then, doubtful. 
It would most likely happen so quick that a shot gun or a rifle with an 8 shot clip wouldn't do you any good.

A wolf can easily pick up a small doe in it's mouth and carry it.   Wolves have 2 runners and several killers.  2 wolves will run down the prey and tire it. The rest of the pack will move in for the kill.  Even if you were to shoot one of the runners, the rest would be on you before you would take another breath. 

Now, if you happen to be in Cougar country. You won't see that happen either as they will climb a tree and wait for you to walk under neath.

If you are afraid of wild life enuff to consider taking a fire arm with you for protection, then it's easier not to go up north.

Pretty simple.

PS - Also good to watch out for Wolverines and Tasmanian Devils.  Oh, and Killer Jack Rabbits at Rowan's

Fishing is good for your Mind, Body and Soul.
Actually catching a fish or two is a nice by product of a day well spent.

The next time that you don't feel like going into work, don't give your Boss any excuses (Hes heard them all), just say, "I'm going fishing, wanna come".

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2014, 12:50 AM »
I occasionally watch episodes of Life Below Zero. I have shot Coyotes with both rifle and shotgun at close ranges but that was in a calling situation.  Would be interested to hear of anyone's encounters with wild animals like Wolves while ice fishing?
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Absolutely....I bring either my Tavor or my Browning Xbolt .223. I  shot many coyotes on the way to the lake that have paid for my fuel. Also if the fishing sucks I take my Foxpro out and go hunting coyotes.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2014, 01:03 PM »
I have been fishing several times and have had wolves on the lake w me.  The chance of a wolf attack is extremely slim.  Something I wouldn't even worry about.

Coyotes are even more scarce the further n you go.

Bears are hibernating, so no worry there.  Looking forward to the spring when they wake up though.  The bow is ready

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2014, 03:26 PM »
Summer yes(if remote), winter no.

If you're up in the middle of nowhere with nobody else around I'd personally say its never a bad idea to bring something along as long as weight isn't an issue.

I just wish we could get permits to carry a restricted instead, it would make life much easier if a guy could open carry a handgun instead of a long gun. They already trust you to take a high powered rifle or shotgun, only makes sense that they would trust you to carry a restricted in the same places(if you're licensed to own one and have passed all federal checks).
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:41 PM »
 i agree with whoever said that if you're scared of animals enough to have to carry a gun then you'd better stay in the city.

there's nothing better than sitting in the shack with wolves howling all around you.

Offline saskriverman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:18 PM »
what ranger said x2

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:23 PM »
I carry EVERYWHERE. (Down here) You can't choose when the s*** hits the fan.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:30 PM »
I don't leave the house without my .380 in my back pocket... Don't think I could live somewhere I couldn't carry a pistol.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:40 PM »
800stealth: Don't carry in your back pocket, for your safety and others. Someone wants to take you out, they'll hit you from behind, and your natural instinct is where do your arms go...out front to break the fall. Just want to see you stay safe and be able to use that if need be. From an ex-cop and weapons instructor.  ;)

Offline Fubar racin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:53 PM »
I carry everyware when out and about most times i take My 22/250 for the side open spaces in the winter time just for coyotes. And i promise the 4 legged animals are Not the ones im afraid of local ponds and populated areas Its the 1911 in My waist band.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:39 PM »
800stealth: Don't carry in your back pocket, for your safety and others. Someone wants to take you out, they'll hit you from behind, and your natural instinct is where do your arms go...out front to break the fall. Just want to see you stay safe and be able to use that if need be. From an ex-cop and weapons instructor.  ;)
I can appreciate what your saying but I've carried the same gun in my back pocket for twenty years because that's where I'm comfortable with it. That's where I know it will be.  I'm not saying you don't have a valid point but I will say the one and only time I've ever had to reach for it was when a crackhead in Boston ran up to me with a knife and demanded my wallet, I reached to my back pocket to get my wallet.... I still have his knife, very nice Kershaw... No doubt something he stole from someone else. I do think that a novice that only has a gun because they're afraid of what they read in the paper should carry in a holster with ease of access from the front but someone who has been shooting for a long time and is proficient with a hand gun should carry it where they feel most comfortable with it being.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:00 PM »
I do agree with you. Also NO novice should carry a gun. If you can't pull, draw, engage, fire, drop a clip, reload, and fire standing, sitting, laying, rolling hitting cover, in the light , the dark, inside, outside,in other words, be totally comfortable with your weapon and know what to expect, you shouldn't be carrying. You don't need to be an expert, just totally comfortable with your piece. I like practicing those things in total darkness, makes you know that weapon.We ARE talking possible life and death situations... the ultimate. Practice all of the above continually. You practice everything else, right? We had a guy here last week doing a 'Mexican carry"; ie; gun down front of pants. Got in a fight, went to pull it out. Yup, not once, but TWICE it fired. Think his nickname's gonna be "Uniball" when he recovers.  ;D
Sorry, I got carried away. In this day and age, I want everyone to be safe and well versed. Once you pull that piece or fire, there's no turning back. Your life just changed forever. Think about it. Stay safe, guys and gals.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:11 PM »
I feel comfortable walking out my door without a pistol on my hip. On a side not just to poke a little fun at the boys south of us, type MERICA in to google and check out the images

Offline LUNKERONZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIG ON!!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:28 PM »
I couldn't resist. I googled it. Awesome. I love having these good ol damn 'mericans living beside me. We fight well together when we have to. And poke fun when we can. Go merica EH. Lol

Jig on
Jig on!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:44 PM »
I'm used to it, all my mom's family is north of the border on the east coast... lots of good natured trash talking going back and forth, especially about hockey.  GO BRUINS.... eh

Sorry to the op for dragging your thread off topic.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:21 PM »
Ha!! I tried it!!  ;D Are your conceal carry laws a lot different than down here wid us southern boys?
Hey, my Dad moved up to Victoria, BC. Beautiful place, went up there for 2 weeks to see him. Did some Salmon fishing. Lovely. lovely. Butchardt Gardens rock. So does the wax museum and the big museum. (Provincial?)

Whoop, I better shut up, Back to OP post, please.  ;D

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:45 AM »
Yep laws are quite different. Need restricted liscence to own hand gun. Only place you can legally shoot it is the range. Needs a trigger lock and a case that's locked for transportation. So definitely no conceal or carry, more of a transport.

Offline gyman98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Pretty tough to get a concealed carry permit here,  have to have verified death threats etc.  These are non restricted and can be carried easily.  Something you southern boys can't have ;D

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:10 PM »
Pretty tough to get a concealed carry permit here,  have to have verified death threats etc.  These are non restricted and can be carried easily.  Something you southern boys can't have ;D

That looks close enough to a hand gun to me lol. We can have stuff like that just gotta pay the yearly permits for short barrel shot guns... or not get caught lol. I have an old H&R 12 gauge that has a 9 inch barrel and pistol grip I keep on the night stand... don't even have to aim it, just point in the general direction of the threat and you'll get em.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:18 PM »

Very nice always wanted one of those I have an bushmaster with a 10 inch barrel if will light up the sky at night lol we have to pay 200 tax for short barrels :(

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Here is mine, Benelli M4 (non-restricted) with telescoping stock :

With a few boxes of these:

//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:08 PM »
I can never make up my mind which one to carry that day.... ;D

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:14 PM »
Well this post did start in Saskatchewan and while our fish do get pretty big none of them require a firearm to dispatch.
The Bears are asleep and wolves will not bother you. I used to deliver papers in northern Manitoba as a kid and had wolves follow me on occasion. Here in Canada we don't shoot everything that makes us nervous. Populations small enough as it is. 
 Besides who wants bullets richocheting down the ice when you are trying to fish.  Happened to me once when some deer hunters  opened fire on a deer running across the ice towards me and another fisherman. 
  I do own firearms they stay locked up when not at the range or hunting, its the law here.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:20 PM »
Winter I never carry a gun with me fishing, summer is a different story I have had bears come up many times when fishing remote lakes up north but only ever fired one warning shot, most bears will run from you and wolves usually won't bother with you either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.