Author Topic: Wakaw lake on fire  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Captain Hook

• IceShanty Rookie
Wakaw lake on fire
« on: Feb 01, 2012, 02:23 PM »
I live 30 mins away from wakaw lake and never spend a whole lot of time on it.  This year a friend of mine called and told me I gotta get out there the walleye are on fire. We went out for an hour in the evening and caught 10 walleye between 3 of us. This has been happening every evening I fish at wakaw it's nice haveing good walleye fishing so close to my front door. So if you haven't tried wakaw this year because your luck in the past hasn't been well I'd advise giving old Wakaw lake a second shoot. We are fishing 15 to 20 feet of water, jig and minnow, or buckshot and eyeballs, we even pulled out some over 5 pounds,they average about 1.5 to 2 lbs. Good luck hope this helps people in the wakaw area.

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Wakaw lake on fire
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2012, 06:08 PM »
Hey captain hook you wouldn't happen to be fishing near sandy point would you?

Offline Captain Hook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:24 PM »
No not sandy point, I sent you a pm explaining were we fish.

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Perfect thanks I appreciate the info

Offline Captain Hook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:27 PM »
Hey adipose I tried to pm you but it won't work.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2012, 09:53 AM »
check to see if your inbox etc. is full. Mine was close to full so i emptied er. Can you try again please. Or ..what are ya drivin. thanks

Offline Dubya_I

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2012, 12:30 PM »
Heyo,

Long time creeper, first time poster.

My bro and I were looking to go try Wakaw this weekend with this fishing report. We don't fish Wakaw (usually fish the Bstrap) but we're hoping to try it out but have no idea where to go. If you would be so kind as to shoot me a PM I would be graciously in your debt.

Cheers,

Offline Captain Hook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Hey thanks for all the pm's. I'm having trouble getting back to some of you so I hope this helps Everyone out. I fish on the south side of the lake directly across from the regional park golf coarse, and the beach. It's good from the olexeyn beach boat launch, west to sandy point. We drill lots of holes from 22 ft down to about 12, my magic number is 18ft. Move around lots to get on active fish. Fish a hole for 5 min if no action move to the next one. I like jiging spoons for walleye, no perticular type seems to out fish the other. I use buckshots, lindy flying spoons, pk's, and Swedish pimples. I tip with minnows, minnow heads, and often end up using eyes. During the day at wakaw can be slow but moving lots still produces, but the first and last hours of the day are deadly. So that's how I fish wakaw it works for us, I hope it works for you. Please let me know how you all make out. Good luck

Offline Dubya_I

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2012, 07:41 PM »
Thanks a bunch!

The Mrs. keeps clamoring on  ::) about ice thickness with this recent nice warm weather we've been having. She gets worried when there is a puddle in the shack as a result of the heater... I've tried to tell her there is plenty, but having not been out to Wakaw before this year I actually don't know what the thickness is like. What have you been experiencing out there?

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2012, 12:11 PM »
The fire dept. must have put the fire out. A couple of guys I know went out and fished these areas hard yesterday till after dark........one perch.

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2012, 02:08 PM »
Hey adipose did the guys use electronics and if so did they see anything? Or did they fish blind with no luck??

Offline canada_man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Ya...
I was out there too and had a brutal day.  One fish!  An I am certainly not trying to keep people from my "hotspot".  I have no hotspot in this neck of the woods.  I assume the walleye are on and off like everywhere else.

CM

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2012, 08:42 PM »
Hey adipose did the guys use electronics and if so did they see anything? Or did they fish blind with no luck??
They had a vex and only seen a couple flashes ....no camera. How long has it been since you did well out there....maybe they shut down for now.

Offline nicemustang

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:09 PM »
First Lake Lenore and now wakaw....Either captain hook is the best fisherman in the world or he's he biggest liar. Loads of perch on small lake LL and walleye on fire on wakaw is super hard for me to believe...but hey I guess you never know. I guess he at least is sharing some info, whether you guys can use it not is the question.

Offline old man of the sea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2012, 11:26 AM »
Some very interesting comments on this site. I have followed information by members before and it didn't pan out, but I never had the nerve to publicly imply the were liars. I have shared hotspots in the past and following my advise some haven't had my success. No one has ever come back and said I wasn't telling the truth. One of the reasons I like Ice Shanty is that It gives me an idea what the action is like before I go. How I make out with that information is up to me. I don't expect anyone to hold my hand. It seems the only way some people believe is if they see photographic evidence, and when there is many will jump on them for how they are handling the fish, what they intend to do with the fish, etc. Why can't we all just get along.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Some very interesting comments on this site. I have followed information by members before and it didn't pan out, but I never had the nerve to publicly imply the were liars. I have shared hotspots in the past and following my advise some haven't had my success. No one has ever come back and said I wasn't telling the truth. One of the reasons I like Ice Shanty is that It gives me an idea what the action is like before I go. How I make out with that information is up to me. I don't expect anyone to hold my hand. It seems the only way some people believe is if they see photographic evidence, and when there is many will jump on them for how they are handling the fish, what they intend to do with the fish, etc. Why can't we all just get along.

My thoughts exactly! A thread gets rolling along nice and posative and someone has to jump in and ruin the fun of fishing. I myself am getting tired of these sites and am considering pulling back. Its too bad because there are a lot of good people on these sites. And yeah....im keeping the 14lb walleye for my wall. Cant eat it....gonna die soon anyway but the real truth of the matter is its my fish and i can damn well do what i want with it. Oh boy...now im just a ramblin man. whahooo!

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2012, 07:51 PM »
We hit Wakaw today it was ok lots of little perch I think we managed about 40 small perch the biggest probably about 9 inches and managed 3 walleye in the 2lbs range
and 3 jack between 3-5 lbs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.