Author Topic: Circle Hooks  (Read 4964 times)

Dan W

Circle Hooks
« on: Dec 11, 2002, 06:03 PM »
Hi guys,
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with circle hooks on tipups... we fish for pike and walleye and like to catch and release.  Haven't seen much on the topic and was wondering if anybody has learned from experience...
Thanks!
Dan

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
Re: Circle Hooks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2002, 10:42 PM »
Been using circle hooks for the last year  I like to use one size larger than you think you should use  color- Blood red
Rember--- steady pull on line NO Jerking to set hook.
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Dan W

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2002, 03:53 AM »
Thanks Flash_King!
     We'll be giving them a shot!
Good luck out there!
Dan

mike wik

« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2002, 06:43 AM »
Where are you getting red circle hooks from?  I've been looking for them and have not had any luck.  

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2002, 11:46 AM »
Got an order from Stamania Supply and picked up some larger ones from a local saltwater tackle shop this summer while getting equipped for stripers. It always pays to think ahead-I think?
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2002, 01:33 PM »
Sorry, But I still don't think circle hooks would be as effective on pike and walleye as a treble hook. I almost NEVER gut hook a pike....and I even let them run before setting the hook. Circle hooks have a purpose....they work great for fish that inhale the bait and have no teeth like bass. For critters that grab and go, that have interlocking teeth, I don't think the line will slide to the corner of the fishes mouth and allow the hook to work as it it suppose to. I know of one guy so far that fishes for pike and has switched back to trebles.
I'll stick with my trebles.

JMHO ;D

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2002, 01:43 PM »
they have worked well on pickeral for me altho they are not as big as pike they act much the same and they are still always lip hooked.for pike i would make the leaders of very heavy florocarbon line and a 3/0 hook.

neil2fish

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2003, 01:41 PM »
I snell a 1/0 circle with doubled 10lb flouro and hook 4" sucker lightly through back.  Very good hook up rate and always in the corner of the mouth where the teeth dont bother the line.  Never hurts to try new things.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.