Author Topic: Frabil thermo tip ups  (Read 2703 times)

Offline jrsue

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Frabil thermo tip ups
« on: Jan 10, 2005, 08:29 AM »
just curious wy you here so little here about frabils thermo round tip ups. havent got any but they really seem like a great idea. i like that they wont freeze up as easy , they seem to be easier to set up, they store nicely. other than their slightly more expensive , they seem like the ticket.

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
Re: Frabil thermo tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2005, 10:57 AM »
I have 3 and like them very much easy to set. You can tell the fish is running from a distance. Plus the hole does not freeze has easy. :tipup: :tipup:

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2005, 11:17 AM »
Got one for xmas this year.Easy to set up.Cool built in tackle storage.And the flag can be seen quite a distance.But, if theres alot of snow it may obscure the flag cause it sits so low.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

patrout

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2005, 09:05 PM »
I have two of these Frabil tip ups and they seem to out fish the various others I have .Just my results :)

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2005, 11:30 PM »
I have three now and they are the only tipup that I use.  Pluses. easy to set up, can be triggered for heavy to light bait, easy to see on ice ( so they are less likely to get run into),  and keep the hole open longer.  bad side is to small for 10.25 in hole, and drifting snow will bury them.   I build a angled wall of slush to help with this. 8)

Offline Sasquatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2005, 11:25 AM »
In my opinion they are the best tipup on the market.  They store well in a 5 gallon bucket and are very well designed.  They are easy to set up and don't tangle like a lot of other tipups.  I have 8 of them now and that's all I use.

Offline Fishnlunatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2005, 07:33 PM »
I own 4 myself. One thing I have found in windy conditions is take snow or ice from drilling your hole and build a platform on top of the ice. Set your tip up on top and pack snow around it. I've had several get buried on me and this system really helps keep these things from freezing on top.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2005, 03:08 PM »
Used them last year great in freezing temps. no skimming every ten minutes let less lite into the hole as well seems more natural as the fish don't see shadows.  ;D :tipup:

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline TackleTester

• IceShanty Rookie
  • sorry i'm late, fishing is more important
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2005, 05:22 PM »
I have one.....just great..works awesome, especially in temps. below 32 degrees.  Great design, even has a mini tackle box built into it.  They are reasonably priced as well. ;) :D :) :-X 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D ;D ;D
 ;)
             Catch em up
                  Brian
CEO Tackle Testers International

Offline Fish Stick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2005, 03:52 AM »
I just bought 3 of them yesterday at Gander Mountain, on sale for $14.99.

Have not had a chance to use them yet, but they seem pretty nice.
If your only tool is a hammer, all of your problems start looking like nails.

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2005, 06:55 AM »
great for keeping hole open during freezinf temps and keeping snow out of hole but they are short.

Knife2sharp

« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2005, 09:13 AM »
The black ones made by HT are better than the orange Frabills and they're much more durable.  They also have a telescoping flag for deep snow fishing. 

PIKEGUY

« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2005, 02:15 PM »
I agree. The Telescoping flag on the HT is a HUGE plus!  ;D

trapperdirk

« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2005, 03:58 PM »
Well I have two and have had them for some time . No freeze up but a shade bigger would have been nice . I also like the fact that when the water rises high in the hole or above it, because of the weight of the snow, that they float unlike others that are similar, but will freeze in when this occurs .I paid 40 bucks canuck for mine years ago and figger it was money well spent when temps drop to minus 20 or more . ;)

TD

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2005, 11:18 PM »
i have 4 hts that i like for windy, snowy days, 8 artic fire because i cant find a tipup light i like for others, and 8 polar magnetic that stay in my pickup just in case i get the urge driving down the road

billybono

« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2005, 10:26 PM »
bought one to try it out, immediately after using it went out and got 4 more. i think they are awesome!!!!

billybono

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.