Author Topic: Waterproofing Shanty Shell  (Read 670 times)

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
Waterproofing Shanty Shell
« on: Dec 08, 2014, 01:30 PM »
I am going to be treating the exterior shell of portable. What products are out there and what ones might I want to stay away from?

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Waterproofing Shanty Shell
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2014, 01:40 PM »
I used to use Camp Dry on tents when I did that. Haven't seen it on the shelves in a while though.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2014, 01:52 PM »
Isn't camp dry the same as silicone spray?that's what I use.

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2014, 01:59 PM »
I have used camp dry in the past. Works good but seems to not last more than a couple of years. I did a search on the Internet and all kinds of stuff came up. There are a bunch of choices.

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:13 PM »
Camp Dry I have used before but this year I am going to try a product made by Atsko. It's their water guard silicone sno seal spray. I have heard some good things about so I figure might as well give it a whirl.

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:21 PM »
Rust-Oleum NeverWet for the bulk fabric.  Seam Seal for the stitched seams.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:23 PM »
I am going to be treating the exterior shell of portable. What products are out there and what ones might I want to stay away from?

When you say you will be treating the exterior shell, I have to question if that is a good thing.  I would suggest only treating the roof panels.  The fabric needs to breath to avoid moisture build up with in the tent.  Treating only the roof and leaving the sidewalls untreated will allow it to breath.  Yes you can open vents but you also lose heat.  Letting the moisture breath thru the fabric, gets rid of the moisture yet retains most of the heat.

Just my opinion.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:42 PM »
I have vents, if I notice condensation I open them. Shell is a thermal which cuts down on conversation issues. I saw some waterproofing made by starbright. I can get a gallon of it at a good price. I have a bunch of other things that could use waterproofing. From what I have read all of the products I looked at said they should be retreated every year. Why go with an expensive one then. I would be willing to pay more if the product lasted several years.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.