Author Topic: ice cleats  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
ice cleats
« on: Dec 02, 2014, 04:59 PM »
 what kind of cleats are you guys using, where to get, and how much? thanks

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ice cleats
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Please search the archives.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Run a search on this and you will find several dozen threads on, one just 3 days ago??   Kahtoolas Microspikes are the way to be able to run across the ice without breaking something.

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Wife bought me micro spikes this winter for x-mas . I played dumb. But I know I got them. YES!

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2014, 05:41 PM »

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2014, 08:16 PM »
I find the inexpensive Eagle claw ones work fine for me.  I have big feet and they are still big enough for my snow boots.  They use hex headed bolts which tend to come loose so you have to replace them now and then if you don't tighten them before they fall out.

I had a pair of the stretchy rubber things with metal grabbers on the bottom and they worked great until the rubber broke after about a month.  I would stay away from those.  Get something with straps, velcro (the Eagle Claws mentioned) or buckles.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2014, 11:33 AM »
Jordan David creepers on my cold weather boots (<0) and motorcycle ice screws on my warmer weather ice boots (>0).  They both work great.

“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2014, 01:56 PM »
thanks for nothing, why bother?

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2014, 01:17 AM »
I use the Katoolah Micro Spikes. they can be found at various big box retailers sometimes. as for price they normally run $60 to $65 for a set. Expensive but well worth it.  I won't use anything but these now. I got mine for $65.00 but the place I got them from had a 10 % off special the dau I was there.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2014, 03:21 AM »
Run a search on this and you will find several dozen threads on, one just 3 days ago??   Kahtoolas Microspikes are the way to be able to run across the ice without breaking something.

Right on the money SeisMec.

WS

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2014, 06:30 AM »
I have used just about every style out there and hands down the best and the new gold standard is the Kahtoola Micro Spikes

One of the best prices you will find online can be found on Sportsmen's Direct Website.I am so lucky to have a shop of this Caliber right down the street.

http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/kahtoola-microspikes/

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2014, 09:07 AM »
I have used just about every style out there and hands down the best and the new gold standard is the Kahtoola Micro Spikes

One of the best prices you will find online can be found on Sportsmen's Direct Website.I am so lucky to have a shop of this Caliber right down the street.

http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/kahtoola-microspikes/

they hurt my feet. mostly the heel bone on bare ice. so buy where you can return them!
if some one is still looking.
free ship, 59.95$
http://www.amazon.com/Kahtoola-MICROspikes-Traction-System-Medium/dp/B00E81C90G/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1417964337&sr=1-1&keywords=Kahtoola+MICROspikes

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2014, 09:22 AM »
they hurt my feet. mostly the heel bone on bare ice. so buy where you can return them!
if some one is still looking.
free ship, 59.95$
http://www.amazon.com/Kahtoola-MICROspikes-Traction-System-Medium/dp/B00E81C90G/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1417964337&sr=1-1&keywords=Kahtoola+MICROspikes

The most common size bought by guys for ice fishing is the XL and the XL on there is listed at $64.95

I am pretty sure the guys over at SDI will work with you no matter if you bought it online or in the store.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Quote from: UFCreel on Dec 02, 2014, 04:10 PM

thanks for nothing, why bother?

Martian, with a quick look you can see that UFCreel spends a lot of time helping out fellow IS members, as do many other members here. When some one asks a question that has been asked and answered many times, it is often helpful to remind them of the wealth of info that has already typed out for your benefit. If you do not find what you are looking for in the "Archive", then UFCreel, myself and many others are more than willing to take the time to share our knowledge and experiences. I am sorry you find taking the time to search for the info you are looking for was more trouble than you want to go through, but this is no need to be insulting to a member that is trying to help you out... I have also taken the time in the past to write about my experiences with cleats; it is in the Achives...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2014, 09:51 AM »
The most common size bought by guys for ice fishing is the XL and the XL on there is listed at $64.95

I am pretty sure the guys over at SDI will work with you no matter if you bought it online or in the store.

click the forth option selecting style, then choose size xl only, 59.95

click the third option selecting style, then choose size large medium or small, 59.95

click the second option selecting style, then choose exta small (for the ladies or kids), 51.96

free ship

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Martian, with a quick look you can see that UFCreel spends a lot of time helping out fellow IS members, as do many other members here. When some one asks a question that has been asked and answered many times, it is often helpful to remind them of the wealth of info that has already typed out for your benefit. If you do not find what you are looking for in the "Archive", then UFCreel, myself and many others are more than willing to take the time to share our knowledge and experiences. I am sorry you find taking the time to search for the info you are looking for was more trouble than you want to go through, but this is no need to be insulting a member that is trying to help you out... I have also taken the time in the past to write about my experiences with cleats; it is in the Achives...

this is a much better answer........pretty much everything on this site has been beat to death.........so almost always there will be info in the archives.........but maybe worded a little differently instead of check the archives.....frankly an answer like that is more of a waste of time than a newbie asking a question that has already been asked.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Was not trying to be a dick. As I remember when I posted to (please check the archives.) There was a post about ice cleats three or four columns down. If I offended anyone sorry. Ice Shanty is a great site with a wealth of info. Look and you may find. If not then ask. :tipup:
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2014, 11:31 AM »
Was not trying to be a dick. As I remember when I posted to check the archives. There was a post about ice cleats three or four columns down. If I offended anyone sorry. Ice Shanty is a great site with a wealth of info look and you may find. If not then ask. :tipup:

Indeed UFCreel, there was literally a post with the exact name 4 or 5 posts down from when this one was posted. U didnt even have to search, just look at the first page..

Since the OP was to lazy to do that.. Here is a link to that 4 page post about.. "Ice Cleats"

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=295498.0
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2014, 11:57 AM »
Well, there is not enough good ice for everybody yet and we're obviously getting testy with each other!  ::)

This is how I wear my Kahtoola microSpikes!

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2014, 01:50 PM »
Nice fashion statement wy.  You could be a sportsman model! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.