Author Topic: 8" Hole and Big Northerns?  (Read 643 times)

Offline Flag!!Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
8" Hole and Big Northerns?
« on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:50 PM »
I've used a 9inch to target big pike, but the recoil spring broke and now I have to wait for the part to come.  I have a trip planned wednesday targeting Big pike.  Anyone have any troubles using an 8 inch auger when pulling up 15-25lb Northerns?  Better question would probably be have any of you guys landed big northerns  through an 8" hole?

Offline Tee Tot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Laker Man
Re: 8" Hole and Big Northerns?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:56 PM »
 I have to admit I do prefer the 10'' to the 8'' but have landed lot's of large pike through the 8'' hole, dont fret it to much just be a little more patient when you have to turn that big snout into the hole    Tight Lines

Offline Flag!!Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2011, 05:54 PM »
We have a min. size limet of 40 inches here on lake mendota you should be fine and won't need a 9 inch hole just make another one if needed to land fish and join the 2 holes

I'LL be using a 8" hand auger,  don't know how easy two next to each other would be

Offline Flag!!Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Thanx for the input guys,, much appreciated...   Good for the nerves...

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:18 PM »
I've seen videos on youtube with people squeezing a 20+ lb pike through a 6" hole. The only trouble with an 8" is if theres 2'+ of ice, it cant be a little more challenging, or a really cold day, and 8" hole can turn into a 6" hole real fast. Just need to play em a little.

Sometimes an 8" hole can be beneficaial, wont allow big bike to turn and thrash in the hole. 
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:25 PM »
I landed a 19lber with a 7" hole.  You can do it with an 8" but you have to be patient.  The only tough part is getting their head started up the hole. 

Offline Flag!!Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:26 PM »
I've seen videos on youtube with people squeezing a 20+ lb pike through a 6" hole. 

I'd really like to see one of those videos

Offline esox1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:33 PM »
8" hole - no problem ;) :tipup:

Bullelk34

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:39 PM »
You'll be fine bud. It takes one heck of a big pike to plug an 8" hole. My personal best northern was 18 lbs, and it came up through an 8" hole. If you do happen to get one that won't make it through, you'll have a great story to tell!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.