Author Topic: Stakes for deep snow?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• IceShanty Rookie
Stakes for deep snow?
« on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:22 AM »
I have an Eskimo Quikfish 6. I was trying to anchor it in deep snow this weekend, but the stakes wouldn't reach the ice through the snow. Are there longer stakes on the market for these kinds of conditions? Thanks!

Offline Liter Of Cola

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Stakes for deep snow?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:50 AM »
I use an 18" piece of PVC with 2 pieces of rope attached to it.  One piece in the middle of the PVC, the other on one end of the PVC. 

Drill a hole directly behind your shack.

Drop in the PVC.  It sinks.  Snug it up against the bottom of the ice with the middle rope and attach it to your shack (I have modified the end of my rope to attach to my shack with quick release buckles, one end of the buckle permanently mounted to the shack).

When you're done for the day, lower the PVC bak into the water a few inches and pull on the rope attached to the end.  It comes up end first.

Works great in all conditions and takes about 60 seconds to install once you're out there.  No more messing around with spikes, having to screw them into the ice, etc.

I actually have two of them if the wind's really going one for each back corner.  I rarely need to use the second one.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:53 AM »
I have a QuickFish4. My plan for deep snow is to tie cord to the grommets in the skirt and shovel a small spot a few feet away to put the anchors in and tie off. My other idea was long lag bolts (with fender washers) and a cordless drill, but the snow depth will always be different.

Offline Dr. Dan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:55 AM »
I actually thought about the cord extension solution, but thought longer stakes might be more convenient.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:58 AM »
If the snow is deep and packed, you could probably use pieces of rebar or something similar with a hammer.

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:58 AM »
If its deep snow, why not just shovel snow over the skirt?

Offline Dr. Dan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:02 AM »
By the way, I was on Lake Winnebago {WI} this weekend for the Sturgeon spearing opener. First time ever! What an experience. We didn't get one, but this is a big-time event. 12 of us went up, with just two of the guys actually spearing. The rest of use ice-fished and enjoyed the event.

It was pretty windy, so I really needed to stake it down.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:32 AM »
The mountaineering crowd use snow stakes. Make some yourself. 1x1 alum angel stock. Cut 2' long. Miter cut a point at one end. Drill a hole for a carabiner at the other. Stake them like you would in the summer for a tent.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.