Author Topic: Big baits  (Read 473 times)

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Big baits
« on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Just out of curiosity how big  of a yellow perch can be used for bass and big pickerel? My buddy says he uses them nearly a foot long and has caught six pound largemouths. I can see maybe 7" but full sized peach? What size treble you use?
You think a five pound pickerel hit that?
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
Re: Big baits
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:44 AM »
Caught a 21'' Pike on a 7'' perch this weekend.  The pike weighed maybe 2.5 lbs.  So I would say, yes a big larry or 5 lb pickerel would eat a big perch.

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:51 AM »
I have used 11in suckers on tipups,and have had the 18in wire leader bit off. I sure would like to see what did that, here in Wisconsin.The only thing that is bad about bait like that,is trying to get a false flag,but when you get a good one,it is good.  Jerry

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:00 AM »
When using large bait,use a downrigger release on your big baits that ends false flags.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2011, 12:53 PM »
Just out of curiosity how big  of a yellow perch can be used for bass and big pickerel? My buddy says he uses them nearly a foot long and has caught six pound largemouths. I can see maybe 7" but full sized peach? What size treble you use?
You think a five pound pickerel hit that?

You'd be surprised ... 6# L.M.B or pickerel could woof that down no problem ... as a snack! Personally I'd take perch over a pickerel any day, and I don't eat L.M.B. either. I'd rather eat the perch myself instead of feeding another fish with it IMO. Unless you're looking for a wall hanger ... then that's a different story.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.