Author Topic: What weight line you guys using for pan fish?  (Read 1691 times)

Offline bluegillhunter3694

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What weight line you guys using for pan fish?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2011, 04:37 PM »
I use 2lb and I have caught a 15" rainbow trout on it and a very upset 22" northern on it. The key is patience(and a good drag) when you go down to light line.

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2011, 05:05 PM »
I use 2,3,and 4 depending on what jigs i'm throwing at them i  like 4 but sometimes you just have to downsize for them
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #32 on: Feb 13, 2011, 01:41 PM »
4 pound berkley trilene xl is working good for me, i talked to a guide fisherman and he says that the ice line is much weaker because of what they do to it to make ice resistant and such. he had a hole bag of ice armor but all his rods had 4# trilene xl on them

The only thing to support that is to look at the line diameter of the ice lines.  They tend to be much smaller and therefore would directly have less strength than your normal summer lines.  Some manufactures gives the ice lines a silicone treatment and call it their ice line version.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2011, 05:49 PM »
4 pound berkley trilene xl is working good for me, i talked to a guide fisherman and he says that the ice line is much weaker because of what they do to it to make ice resistant and such. he had a hole bag of ice armor but all his rods had 4# trilene xl on them

That's just not true. All different kinds of lines have been tested and usually meet or exceed the rated breaking strength. Another key factor is the types of knots used which can greatly impact line strength. Diameter doesn't really tell you much either, as some compounds are just stronger, therefore being thinner than a competitors to achieve the same breaking strength. I have used many different ice lines, some are stronger and tougher than Trilene XL, some not. But the idea that Trilene XL is stronger than ice lines ... ::)... is just plan false.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:59 AM »
3# Sufix Ice Magic. The line I'll be sticking with for quite a while.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:47 AM »
Been using #2 and #4 Trilene XL for couple decades now that I think about it. #2 XL will handle most situations, but I've been using a lot of #4 XL this year because of the bonus walleye and bass I've been catching. Also when I know there are BIG gills in certain lakes I'll use the #4 also. If I need to go smaller than that I'm in trouble. I'll have to go to the sewing thread section of Walmart. LOL
Paul

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #36 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:21 AM »
2 pound micro ice for gills and 3# for crappies. 

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:22 AM »
2# braid for me

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 14, 2011, 12:03 PM »
icefisherman, do you use fireline? if so, how does it hold up on your jigging rod? any memory or tangles? was thinking about switching...

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #39 on: Feb 14, 2011, 12:45 PM »
icefisherman, do you use fireline? if so, how does it hold up on your jigging rod? any memory or tangles? was thinking about switching...

I absolutely LOVE the Fireline ... just not for ice fishing. I use it for most of my open water fishing with 90% of my spinning combos. I did try it for ice fishing, but I didn't like it because it tends to ice up easily. You can't beat the sensitivity though, just make sure when you spool some on, you use plenty of mono for backing. That will prevent the line from spinning on the spool, as well as fill the spool properly as the Fireline diameter is too small to fill a spool without using 1000 yds. I usually fill the spool half way with cheap mono, then fill the rest with a 125 yd spool of Fireline. All connections are done with a uni-to-uni knot.

Offline seansean1444

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 14, 2011, 03:47 PM »
4lb no doubt. i catch as many if not more panfish on it than everybody else and have caught 7 pound lakers on it

ICE REBEL

« Reply #41 on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:06 PM »
2 or 3 lb here for pan fish

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #42 on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:22 PM »
Currently my main jigging rod has 15lb orange siffix ice braid super line. I have large pike hit my bait often and dont want to risk breaking off just because I am targeting smaller fish. It is also the correct diameter for my the reel, comparable to 6lb mono. I have no trouble getting finicky fish to bite in most cases, but if they are being tricky is I can always throw on a fluorocarbon leader. Has great action on all my favorite jigs, I dont use anything really tiny though. The only panfish I catch up here are perch, so this may not be a good idea if you are a gill or crappy guy, not too sure though. I would wager it would be just fine.

I am not saying I am a pro, or the world's best angler by any stretch, but I normally outfish everyone I am with; including the 4lb line guys. I never break off, and always get a good chuckle when a big Johnny takes them for a quick pull-pull-snap.

A small piece of tape over the spool knot will stop your super line from spinning on the reel.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.