Author Topic: solo trip  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Michfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: solo trip
« Reply #60 on: Jan 27, 2011, 01:10 PM »
I go solo almost all the time.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 27, 2011, 01:23 PM »
Solo most of the time, old friends just got lazy and waited until I figured it out before they'd go, got tired of it. Do get latched onto by a "newbie" at times that honestly wants to learn and understand a bit better, no big deal, talk, teach and show'em.

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:30 PM »
I have always ice-fished with groups ranging from two to as many as 6 guys.  However, I just did my very first solo ice fishing trip last Friday up to Lake Cascade north of Boise, ID.  I really enjoyed it, it was just a nice therapeutic time to take in the winter scenery and be alone with my thoughts and think of many things in life.  It was a great break and I think it is good to go solo from time to time.  Great for the mind and soul!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline da.mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO PACK GO!!!!
« Reply #63 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:38 PM »
I usually always go with someone, and there is always someone willing to hit the ice. And if there is no one to go with...well it never hurts to take a break from addiction! :)
BIG BAIT, BIG FISH!!
"I'm just a jerk on one end of the line...waitin' for a jerk on the other."

Offline eyefish2

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You can never make up for a day of missed fishing
« Reply #64 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:02 PM »
I go solo 90% of the time.   Easier for me.  Get on the ice when I want to and leave when I want to.  I do enjoy 3-4 weekend trips a year with a good fishing buddy from high school, other friends and family.

Interesting to see alot of solo fisherman out there.  They say 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish.  I would bet the solo's are most of that 10%. 

Offline toms81062

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:17 AM »
do alot of fishing on my own. Cant find others to fish with.  would rather have company

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 04, 2011, 03:50 AM »
I'd say that 85% of the time I fish, be it ice or open water, I fish alone.  It's about my only release, and my only portion of solitude.  I like to be alone, too, so that's my getaway.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Feb 04, 2011, 04:16 AM »
Most of the time, I take someone with me. I like the solitude, at times, but prefer a little company.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #68 on: Feb 04, 2011, 04:30 AM »
I go if others go there is momentum or drag but I go.
I like the guys that crowd around and don't catch and hound me about bait which I never use.
Those little jars of gulp come in handy to show them and don't leak if never opened.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline mr_mojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:53 AM »
I prefer to go with others, but when i get an opportunity to fish, I'm going.
I love my job, it pays for my bait.

Offline cold h2o

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:57 PM »
alone all the time, usually get a lot of buddies when the chili start s cooking

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #71 on: Feb 04, 2011, 01:06 PM »
50/50 but don't tell the wife she hates it when I go alone. I'm going to hit the river alone tonight and she's not happy. I told her hey come with me and we'll steam up the windows on the clam.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline oneofour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 10, 2011, 10:33 PM »
I've gone alone fishing as far as salt or fresh go, icefishing I have never gone alone but all of the above I prefer to be with a buddy. fishing is always 100 times better when you have someone there to enjoy it with. I find people either like having a buddy, or they always go alone.

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 12, 2011, 08:03 PM »
i go solo most of the time because i can stay out as long as i want. i do fish with others sometime when i want.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 12, 2011, 09:06 PM »
I really enjoy fishing with others.... but as many others have said.... my work scedule is tough to get a buddy to go. I have a few hours before or after work.... and I work 7 days a week.... so this year it is mostly solo... other years have been mostly with others.... each have pros and cons....... I will say though.... it makes it MUCH easier to pattern the fish on any given day with a couple guys....

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:23 AM »
fish solo 99.9 % of the time. almost never fish "alone". imay be first on ice but always have "visiters" in short order. makes for fun to BS with people.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #76 on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:53 AM »
This year I've been solo for 75% of the time, not many people like to fish the way I do ... staying all day until sundown, running and gunning, no tipups, and drill baby, drill!  My 2 closest fishing buddies, well ... one is seeking a record at his home lake, and the other just stopped fishing all together, so it's go solo or stay home. I'm the same way on open water, solo 1/2 the time.

I actually enjoy fishing by myself as much as I do when I'm with my friends, but it's just different. By myself I can concentrate and have "thinking time", and when I'm with friends it's all about making memories and a little competitiveness, along with a little coordinated effort to figure out what the fish want that day.

I do see lots of others that stay in there shacks and BS all day with nothing to show but a buzz ... that's just not for me. Why bother when you can BS and drink at home?

For me it's all about the fish, everything else is secondary.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Feb 13, 2011, 11:41 AM »
Well said man! There is alway someone draging you down ( like an anchor) drinking, or just hanging , not wanting to move, cold because he dont have the right close, please leave me be....

Offline oldfisher68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 14, 2011, 05:46 AM »
I fish solo most of the time. The guys I know who want to ice fish, don't have the right equipment or none. I take them out once or twice a season and provide the equipment. It feels like babysitting. I keep expecting them to buy their own equipment and join me, but I guess it's cheaper to use mine. If I'm serious about catching fish, I fish alone, so I can concentrate on the task. When fishing  solo and I want company, I fip open my one man shanty and start dropping fish into the pail in plane sight.

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #79 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:54 AM »
I fish alone quite a bit but always end up meeting people I know out on the ice
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.