Author Topic: Waypoint Management  (Read 1449 times)

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Waypoint Management
« on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:19 AM »
Is there any software that can take Humminbird waypoints, and waypoints from my Garmin hand held unit and combine them all together and then load them back onto the units?  Ideally I would be able to re-name, delete, edit some waypoints, etc...  Also some form of a map overlay would be awesome complete with depth charts or a topo map?  Is all of this too much to ask, or is there a piece of software out there that can do all of this.  I have used some older generic garmin software in the past as well as I think Humminbird had one.  That was on an old pc, so i'm now looking to combine all of that information i've collected over the years (and back it up).

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Waypoint Management
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:36 AM »
waypoints, depth charts, topo maps? Sorry, I don't speak that language. ;D

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:42 AM »
Do you know the file types?  I have used GPS Visualizer to convert google earth files to something that is compatible for a Garmin.
 http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/ is the link to the web interface.  There are many different file types to choose from.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:30 PM »
Garmin homeport I think is the name.  It will do what you want.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Garmin Basecamp or CalTopo
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:47 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will dig into them a bit more.  I played briefly with the caltopo and it looked like it would work well. I just need to see if I can incorporated all of my differing formats into that one.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:53 PM »
Garmin base camp ...you should be able to upload from your Garmin unit pretty easily ....you can also make custom maps too.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:31 PM »
Waypoints..... lol. My waypoints consists of by that 1 big old hickory tree by that 1 big sycamore where we used to get them at! Lol.

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:33 PM »
Waypoints..... lol. My waypoints consists of by that 1 big old hickory tree by that 1 big sycamore where we used to get them at! Lol.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:46 PM »
I know what you mean!! I use my GPS for hiking and canoeing but not much at all for ice fishing.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:08 PM »
Is there any software that can take Humminbird waypoints, and waypoints from my Garmin hand held unit and combine them all together and then load them back onto the units?  Ideally I would be able to re-name, delete, edit some waypoints, etc...  Also some form of a map overlay would be awesome complete with depth charts or a topo map?  Is all of this too much to ask, or is there a piece of software out there that can do all of this.  I have used some older generic garmin software in the past as well as I think Humminbird had one.  That was on an old pc, so i'm now looking to combine all of that information i've collected over the years (and back it up).

I work with Waypoints all the time, Garmin's are easy to work with, but Humingbirds are harder. What I would suggest is use a program like GPSBable and convert the Huminbird numbers to Garmins and work with them as Garmin's numbers...

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:23 PM »
That sure beings back memories... i remember as a kid we lined up he 3rd light pole, the water tower, and a big tree at mississinewa.  We always managed to find the spot, although it took a bit of trial and error.

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:27 PM »
That sure beings back memories... i remember as a kid we lined up he 3rd light pole, the water tower, and a big tree at mississinewa.  We always managed to find the spot, although it took a bit of trial and error.
i know thats right tayer. This ol redneck only knows how to get to spots by doing that! Lol. But it still works if its not broke dont fix it! But seriously its awesome if your good with that technology stuff. As for me ill habe to stivk with the old way. Lol.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:38 PM »
Whats funny is my memory is really good for remembering where and when i caught fish on a particular body of water.  Yet.... i completely lose my wallet once a week in the house and forget all sorts of things around the house.  Dont tell my wife.

Offline ct83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Whats funny is my memory is really good for remembering where and when i caught fish on a particular body of water.  Yet.... i completely lose my wallet once a week in the house and forget all sorts of things around the house.  Dont tell my wife.
boy you really hit the nail on the head again with that 1!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:23 AM »
If you figure it out email them to me me and I'll tell you if they work ;D

I have a Garmin and I always forget to mark my spots. Always just go from memory. I do think it would be awesome and funny to get ipilot on my little 14 ft semi v. A trolling motor that cost more then the boat
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.