Author Topic: A Few Perch  (Read 926 times)

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
A Few Perch
« on: Feb 12, 2018, 02:16 PM »

Ftwalleye and I met at the Sea this morning and had good time talkin fishin. We even caught a few. The biggest was 10" (not bad) they'll eat! Have to get together again soon if the ice holds Chad! Hex

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: A Few Perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2018, 03:00 PM »
Hell i didn't go swimming and even got a few.  Bite was tuff but that has been my winter
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:21 PM »
 I didn't know until 05:00 this morning if I would be able to go. Left around 06:00 and was on the See approx. 07:00 at the Kettle. Nervous walk getting out there, a couple spots the spud bar went thru on 2nd or 3rd whack so had to watch where I was walking. Insane the number of gills I caught under 6". Kept seeing this mass move across my sonar, and soon discovered it was a school of golden shiners. I eventually caught one 8" long, lost a couple at the hole. Did manage several gills 7"-8" before I left at 11:00. Sure didn't like the way that 3" ice was cracking under my feet when I walked off.

Offline TennesseeFreeze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:57 PM »
Nice Perch! Way to get em fellas :)

Offline Reel_Ice_hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Those are some dandies...

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:26 PM »
The Kettle used to have bubblers running to protect the marina piers. Years ago my brother and I watched a guy walk out and go right through, lost his box auger and all. He got out,then came back and fished his stuff off the ice. Good thing he got out on his own cause we couldn't help him. Hex

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:54 PM »
That area were you have to walk to get to the kettle is shallow and dark bottom.  It melts from the top and bottom on warm days and with the thaws we have had this year, I can only imagine that ice getting out to the deeper hole is not the best.  There are weeds there that grow close to the surface too and make for some weak ice.  Always good to use a spud when fishing there after a thaw or near the end of the season.

Offline bev

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:13 AM »
nice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.