Author Topic: Pike  (Read 3136 times)

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pike
« on: Feb 09, 2018, 10:49 AM »
I'm looking to find some pike.  Any suggestions?  I have a new pickled fish concoction I want to try.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pike
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Not sure where to catch them but they finally changed limits for the 2018 season. minimum 24" and only 1 over 30.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Northern michigan :)
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:14 AM »
I've gotten into a mess of them up there before.  Trolling with shad raps one day we couldn't keep our lines in the water.  I think we were on lake Margerethe near Grayling.  I also have caught a bunch in Canada.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:16 AM »
found a lot on Hamilton and clear bass fishing over the years....

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:31 AM »
I was told they are hard to locate in Hamilton thru the ice, not sure.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Wawasee has a good population or at least it used to. Had a few jigs ate when perch fishing through the years. Hex

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2018, 12:25 PM »
Not sure where to catch them but they finally changed limits for the 2018 season. minimum 24" and only 1 over 30.

Although I think the limit is increased on Hamilton except for over 30 inches due to an abundance of small pike there?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2018, 12:27 PM »
I was told they are hard to locate in Hamilton thru the ice, not sure.

The numbers are there I've been told.

Take as many as you can out of Clear. Give the trout they put in this fall a break.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:19 PM »
I tried pickling a pike this summer and it turned out surprisingly well.  I had never tried pickling fish before, but I think i will do some more of that.   

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:13 PM »
Hamilton will do ya.

i pickled a pike once.  it wasnt bad but it wasnt great.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2018, 04:29 PM »
Hamilton will do ya.

i pickled a pike once.  it wasnt bad but it wasnt great.

Pickle a pike huh? What you guys do in the bedroom is your own business
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2018, 07:59 PM »
you have to try it to know if you like it.  maybe roeboat will let you try a taste when his cures.   lol

OANN the real story

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:25 PM »
I'll share my pickled pike, got to catch some first.  Might head to the SEE on Monday.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:51 PM »
Dewart, wawasee, chapman, Hamilton are all full of pike.  Set a couple tip ups with small gills as bait while you are fishing for larger gills and crappie.  If you are around the gills the pike are nearby.

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Chapman lake had an insanely high pike population a few years back.  I haven't fished it for a few years but I'd imagine they are still thick in there.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:55 AM »
I'm looking to find some pike.  Any suggestions?  I have a new pickled fish concoction I want to try.

A friend in the ANG made pickled walleye. Oh. My. God. Couldn't stop eating them! Are your pickled fish that good? May have to get the recipe if you will give it out. I tried a recipe from a fish book I have and they weren't that great. Have lost contact with the friend in the ANG. I suppose I could see if I can find him again.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:58 AM »
hey taxi, why is the dnr trying to wipe out the pike population at hamilton?  as a fisherman i havent noticed an explosion in the population or anything.   

OANN the real story

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:09 AM »
hey taxi, why is the dnr trying to wipe out the pike population at hamilton?  as a fisherman i havent noticed an explosion in the population or anything.

I don't know if they are trying to wipe them out but I've been told by several anglers there are a lot of small ones in there as of late. They can overpopulate to the detriment of other species. I've see it in some Michigan lakes where you can only catch hammer handle size pike.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Pretty sure you couldn't wipe those pike out of there with a hook and line if you tried really hard.

Offline icecleate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2018, 10:44 AM »
I don't know I they are trying to wipe them out but I've been told by several anglers there are a lot of small ones in there as of late. They can overpopulate to the detriment of other species. I've see it in some Michigan lakes where you can only catch hammer handle size pike.
Several of the lakes in the U.P. Have pike problems and they implemented a 5 pike limit with only on can be 24" or bigger. The LAKE I fish you can tell it is helping with the size, but it will still take a few more years to see if it really works

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2018, 11:02 AM »
Ya i had more pike in the 12-20 inch range in my boat last year than i think i ever have up there, them ones are the ones that get someone stuck, floppin and rollin all over

Offline Finaddict59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2018, 11:13 AM »
i love this stuff, use Pike or walleye!  3TBSP Salt,. 1\4 Cup sugar, 1 Onion sliced,  2 TSP pickling spice. Fill a quart jar 3\4 full of cut up fish and the sliced onions, Then fill the jar with White Vinegar. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover the jar and let stand in refrigerator for 4 Days this recipe tastes just like pickeled herring but I think its better probably cause of the fish being used enjoy.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2018, 11:17 AM »
will have to go target them in spring i guess and see how many we catch.  like said, we havent noticed a huge abundance there in our fishing the last couple years.  besides there is a huge biomass of panfish for them to feed on. not to mention billions upon billions of shad. i find it hard to fathom enough pike to be detrimental to those populations. time will tell i guess what becomes of this. chapman lake is way overpopulated (and has been for 25yrs that i know of)with them, but no regs were ever made for there.  this just seems odd to me is all. ill sure do my part to harvest as many28-29"ers as i can though. ;D 

i hope this isnt a start to an idiotic rule book like michigans here in indiana. 

OANN the real story

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2018, 12:52 PM »
I hope this isnt a start to an idiotic rule book like michigans here in indiana.

I hate picking up a rule book and having my eyes glaze over in less than 2 minutes!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:35 PM »
i love this stuff, use Pike or walleye!  3TBSP Salt,. 1\4 Cup sugar, 1 Onion sliced,  2 TSP pickling spice. Fill a quart jar 3\4 full of cut up fish and the sliced onions, Then fill the jar with White Vinegar. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover the jar and let stand in refrigerator for 4 Days this recipe tastes just like pickeled herring but I think its better probably cause of the fish being used enjoy.

I might have to try that!

Offline Perched

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Hamilton is great for pike and with so many they changed to regs for Hamilton for pike to 6 with no minimum size but still only one allowed over 30"

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:43 AM »
It is about time . Indiana needs to review all catch sizes and limits

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:10 AM »
It is about time . Indiana needs to review all catch sizes and limits
My friends and i have been doing this on our own for years. 20" to small to clean anyway and we never keep any over 30.  25 to 28 is about perfect to clean
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:36 AM »
My friends and i have been doing this on our own for years. 20" to small to clean anyway and we never keep any over 30.  25 to 28 is about perfect to clean
Double Amen Fishinator . I have the same policy . A 27" will more than feed 2 hungry people

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.